ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Dems want to foul the House even more
HonestChieffan 09:49 AM 12-02-2018
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

This is nothing more than a way to divide us more



WASHINGTON — Newly empowered Democrats plan to let lawmakers wear religious head coverings on the House floor by creating an exception to a hat ban that has existed since 1837 — when there was reportedly very little debate before the enactment of a rule prohibiting what one member then described as the “really harmless but apparently indecorous practice” of indoor hat-wearing.

In recent years, the rule hasn't been enforced to preclude members, staff or religious leaders from wearing head coverings on the floor, but the victory of Minnesota Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar, a Muslim who wears a headscarf, has put a spotlight on its continued existence.

Democrats say they will add an exemption for religious headwear under their new package of rules changes for the next Congress, which begins in January, so that the protection of religious expression is explicit. The language will also cover someone wearing a head covering due to illness and loss of hair.

"Democrats know that our strength lies in our diversity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement to NBC News. “After voters elected the most diverse Congress in history, clarifying the antiquated rule banning headwear will further show the remarkable progress we have made as a nation."

"This change will finally codify that no restriction may be placed on a member’s ability to do the job they were elected to do simply because of their faith," said incoming House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern, D-Mass., who is working on the amendment with Omar and Pelosi. "The American people just elected the most diverse Congress in history and our rules should embody that."

Omar applauded the plan.

"No one puts a scarf on my head but me. It’s my choice — one protected by the First Amendment," she wrote on Twitter. "And this is not the last ban I’m going to work to lift."
[Reply]
Trolly McTrollson 03:19 PM 12-03-2018
Didn’t realize that having a political agenda was illegal. Bad news for many of the posters here.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:43 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Ok.

Who gets to decide which so-called religions are actually religions, and which ones are "political agendas"?
They identify themselves. The body of work izlam has created to this point is as clear a case as could be. Do you disagree?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:48 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
They identify themselves. The body of work izlam has created to this point is as clear a case as could be. Do you disagree?
Have you actually read the Koran?

I don't recall having any troubles with American Muslims prior to 9/11 and the subsequent destruction of many Muslim nations.

As for self identifying, that's just a matter of opinion. One can believe whatever they want for a religion in a free country—and no one has to agree with that belief system. Even our SC considers atheism and humanism to be protected under the First Amendment.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:52 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Have you actually read the Koran?

I don't recall having any troubles with American Muslims prior to 9/11 and the subsequent destruction of many Muslim nations./

That's cute BEP.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:52 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Tthat's cute BEP.
Thank you.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 05:40 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
They identify themselves. The body of work izlam has created to this point is as clear a case as could be. Do you disagree?
Do I disagree that it's not a religion? It's got all the hallmarks of a religion.
[Reply]
banecat 05:51 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson:
Didn’t realize that having a political agenda was illegal. Bad news for many of the posters here.
You can stop making sense at anytime now
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 05:51 PM 12-03-2018
Right wing christian terrorists have killed many many more Americans than muslims this decade.
[Reply]
banecat 05:55 PM 12-03-2018
How about instead of swearing in on religious texts that not all of us agree on. And can't for whatever reason agree about even the symbolism anymore. That we start swearing in on a copy of the constitution? Hopefully we can all agree about it's importance. Maybe even for awhile it'll remind those swearing on it that are voted in of a reminded of what their job is
[Reply]
stevieray 06:21 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Right wing christian terrorists .
false narrative.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:25 PM 12-03-2018
[QUOTE=banecat;13933196]
Originally Posted by stevieray:

You're right. But both are the invention of man
Incorrect
[Reply]
stevieray 06:27 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:

I suppose if you want to get rid of it, you should apply separation of church and state on govt property.
:-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:29 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by stevieray:
:-)
What's wrong with using that as an argument? It's what the left has used get rid of any signs of Christianity in govt areas.

Or do you have nuthin' again? In that case, thanks for conceding the argument to me.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:31 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by banecat:
How about instead of swearing in on religious texts that not all of us agree on. And can't for whatever reason agree about even the symbolism anymore. That we start swearing in on a copy of the constitution? Hopefully we can all agree about it's importance. Maybe even for awhile it'll remind those swearing on it that are voted in of a reminded of what their job is
How does the Constitution know you're lying, when you swear, when it's an inanimate object?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:38 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Who gets to decide which religions get 1st Amendment protection and which don’t?
Five [most likely] guys on the Supreme Court.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up