ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Dems want to foul the House even more
HonestChieffan 09:49 AM 12-02-2018
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

This is nothing more than a way to divide us more

WASHINGTON — Newly empowered Democrats plan to let lawmakers wear religious head coverings on the House floor by creating an exception to a hat ban that has existed since 1837 — when there was reportedly very little debate before the enactment of a rule prohibiting what one member then described as the “really harmless but apparently indecorous practice” of indoor hat-wearing.

In recent years, the rule hasn't been enforced to preclude members, staff or religious leaders from wearing head coverings on the floor, but the victory of Minnesota Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar, a Muslim who wears a headscarf, has put a spotlight on its continued existence.

Democrats say they will add an exemption for religious headwear under their new package of rules changes for the next Congress, which begins in January, so that the protection of religious expression is explicit. The language will also cover someone wearing a head covering due to illness and loss of hair.

"Democrats know that our strength lies in our diversity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement to NBC News. “After voters elected the most diverse Congress in history, clarifying the antiquated rule banning headwear will further show the remarkable progress we have made as a nation."

"This change will finally codify that no restriction may be placed on a member’s ability to do the job they were elected to do simply because of their faith," said incoming House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern, D-Mass., who is working on the amendment with Omar and Pelosi. "The American people just elected the most diverse Congress in history and our rules should embody that."

Omar applauded the plan.

"No one puts a scarf on my head but me. It’s my choice — one protected by the First Amendment," she wrote on Twitter. "And this is not the last ban I’m going to work to lift."
[Reply]
vailpass 10:04 AM 12-02-2018
****ing. Muzzies.
Fucking. Pandering. Libs.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:38 AM 12-02-2018
What is wrong with you NeoCons?

Making a law pertaining to religion that abridges that freedom is what the First Amendment prevents the Federal govt from doing.
Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;...
Geesh! Be consistent, will ya'!

Wearing hats indoors used to be considered bad manners by men...and congress was all male for a long time. I can see banning that.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:39 AM 12-02-2018
Outside of this, get ready for a Blue Wave of Repression.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:52 AM 12-02-2018
More sharia compliance from the left.

Disgusting.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:53 AM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
More sharia compliance from the left.

Disgusting.
Are they complying or allowing people the free exercise of their faith here?

If they started passing actual Sharia laws, I would be protesting with you. Things like stoning adulteresses, cutting off hands for theft etc. Demanding govt funded sinks to wash their feet, prayer rugs etc.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:56 AM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
What is wrong with you NeoCons?

Making a law pertaining to religion that abridges that freedom is what the First Amendment prevents the Federal govt from doing.
Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;...
Geesh! Be consistent, will ya'!

Wearing hats indoors used to be considered bad manners by men...and congress was all male for a long time. I can see banning that.
I don't think a symbol of the Islamic supremacy and the oppression of women has any place in the halls of the US government.

It's not a law. It's a rule. This is the same reasoning a judge recently used to call laws against female genital mutilation 'unconstitutional'.

Be careful. Muslims do this on purpose and it's been a slippery slope every time.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:00 AM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
I don't think a symbol of the Islamic oppression of women has any place in the halls of the US government.
I don't see how wearing a scarf or similar head covering is a symbol of oppression, especially when the woman wants to wear it. That's just someone's opinion. Kinda how some atheists, especially Satanists recoil at seeing the Christian cross—even if on someone's neck. Or a lefty going bonkers over someone in a MAGA hat.

Originally Posted by :
It's not a law. It's a rule.
So. It's a rule restricting free exercise of religion—and specifically targets a religion—done by the state.

Originally Posted by :
This is the same reasoning a judge recently used to call laws against female genital mutilation 'unconstitutional'.
No it isn't. One conflicts with other rights and harms someone.

Originally Posted by :
Be careful. Muslims do this on purpose.
Do what on purpose, practice their religion? So doesn't any faith. We've had Chaplains in congress that opens with a prayer.

This is a harmless gesture, that hurts no one. You folks are acting like snowflakes here.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:10 AM 12-02-2018
So I take it you're also opposed to the practice of circumcision by Jews and Christians, WW?

Ever hear a newborn baby wail in a ob/gyn's office? It's pretty blood curdling and hard to not feel sorry for the little critters.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:17 PM 12-02-2018
So people can wear MAGA hats into congress now? It's like a religion for real Americans.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 08:36 PM 12-02-2018
Bunch of clowns all triggered by a head scarf.

Read the constitution you fucking idiots.
[Reply]
banecat 08:41 PM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:

Read the constitution you fucking idiots.
Show me where is it in the constitution that I have to wear a towel on my head?
[Reply]
Over Yonder 09:33 PM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by IworshipNancyPelosi:

Read the constitution you ****ing idiots.
I'm needing some help. Can you tell me where to look in the constitution? I'm not seeing anything about head dress in it.

Thanks in advance
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 10:22 PM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by banecat:
Show me where is it in the constitution that I have to wear a towel on my head?
It doesn't. LOL I can't believe you're so stupid as to think that's what's happening here.

Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
I'm needing some help. Can you tell me where to look in the constitution? I'm not seeing anything about head dress in it.

Thanks in advance
1st amendment and article 6
[Reply]
vailpass 10:49 PM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
It doesn't. LOL I can't believe you're so stupid as to think that's what's happening here.

1st amendment and article 6
Eat another dick cosmo. What does 1A 6 have to do with not allowing the muzlim influence to creep into our government?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up