ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 72 of 185
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682122172 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Drink of choice tonight? PART DEUX
scho63 02:50 PM 08-20-2014
The original thread has been locked so here we go again! :-)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118490

============================================

My brother turned me onto this wine and it's a great Sauvignon Blanc for $10
Attached: JG.jpg (74.8 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 07:32 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

Home brewed Imperial Stout aged in Irish Whiskey Barrel from Restless Spirits in KC.

Cheers.
Holy shit man, that sounds epic. Nice work!
[Reply]
lewdog 07:32 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:
Arizona fam?
Absolutely. Always.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:36 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Holy shit man, that sounds epic. Nice work!
You like Imperial Stouts?
[Reply]
lewdog 07:39 PM 10-27-2018
You like Imperial Stouts?
Usually yes.

Plus you said whiskey.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:46 PM 10-27-2018
Usually yes.

Plus you said whiskey.
Check your PM's.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:42 PM 10-27-2018
That looks tasty, can you compare to this?

Try putting a frozen spoon in it..

**** Michelob Ultra.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:50 PM 10-27-2018
It's 3 Floyds day here in Indiana.

including one of my favs...As I do love me a Scottish Ale

If it's served by 3 Floyd's, you know it's going to be fantastic.

That stout looks fantastic

I like "big beers and I respect the effort of brewing a fine ale like that.

What was the damage for the barrel, if I may ask?
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:28 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:

That stout looks fantastic

I like "big beers and I respect the effort of brewing a fine ale like that.

What was the damage for the barrel, if I may ask?
$75 for a 10gal picked up at the distillery. Good for 2 stout batches and some wood aged batches after that as it will lose the whiskey flavor.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:51 PM 10-27-2018
Knob Creek at a Halloween party its fucking lit
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:46 AM 10-28-2018
$75 for a 10gal picked up at the distillery. Good for 2 stout batches and some wood aged batches after that as it will lose the whiskey flavor.
Do you have to do anything to the barrel from a sanitation standpoint before it's 2nd use? Revolution Brewing routinely makes their used barrels available for $50 up here. Sounds tempting but I'm not sure if I need to do anything to prep it for another use.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:23 AM 10-28-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Do you have to do anything to the barrel from a sanitation standpoint before it's 2nd use? Revolution Brewing routinely makes their used barrels available for $50 up here. Sounds tempting but I'm not sure if I need to do anything to prep it for another use.
I was questioning the 2nd brew too but I would guess that after a steam/ hot water flush you could use it again, with limited results, then make staves, planters, or furniture from it
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:34 AM 10-28-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
You don't do anything before first use but want to get the barrel fairly fresh from being emptied, within a few months.

Second use you have 3 options-

Since the beer will be in the barrel for a few months plan ahead and have another brew ready to go into it when you empty it.

Short term you can fill it with clean water as far as you can between uses so it doesn't dry out. 4-6 weeks I would say.

They make barrel cleaner you can use after the second use to clean it and kill any potential mold growth which is all you are looking to stop. I wouldn't do this before the second use because you will likely strip a lot of the booze out of it and its already weaker after the first use.

Second use I have aged stuff 1.5 to 2x longer than first use to get more flavor.

Also worth noting the smaller the barrel the less time you need. 55gal barrels are aged a year usually in a commercial brewery.

A 5gal barrel only needs about 6 weeks a 10gal barrel 2x as long.

The smaller the barrel the more surface area of wood vs liquid.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:42 AM 10-28-2018
You don't do anything before first use but want to get the barrel fairly fresh from being emptied, within a few months.

Second use you have 3 options-

Since the beer will be in the barrel for a few months plan ahead and have another brew ready to go into it when you empty it.

Short term you can fill it with clean water as far as you can between uses so it doesn't dry out. 4-6 weeks I would say.

They make barrel cleaner you can use after the second use to clean it and kill any potential mold growth which is all you are looking to stop. I wouldn't do this before the second use because you will likely strip a lot of the booze out of it and its already weaker after the first use.

Second use I have aged stuff 1.5 to 2x longer than first use to get more flavor.

Also worth noting the smaller the barrel the less time you need. 55gal barrels are aged a year usually in a commercial brewery.

A 5gal barrel only needs about 6 weeks a 10gal barrel 2x as long.

The smaller the barrel the more surface area of wood vs liquid.
Good to know, thanks.

I know pre-2016 Bourbon County Barelywine was aged in barrels which previously held Bourbon County Stout, which gave it a different dimension than other BA barleywines, imo. I'd be interested trying something like, for the BA stout flavors and not necessary the bourbon heat. Maybe with a barleywine or quad.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:29 PM 11-18-2018
InMem, I have news.

I had 4 Michelob Ultras yesterday.

Had some friends over for a football game. Had 6oz of quality bourbon, a margarita, one craft beer and then finished the afternoon off with the Michelob Ultra. Must say, for a light beer, it was very good. Friends bought a 12pk of bottles for $7.99.

My apologies from our previous interaction on this subject.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:46 PM 11-18-2018
a bourbon barrel Barley Wine with 278 DOW 16.9 ABV
[Reply]
Page 72 of 185
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682122172 > Last »
Up