ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 17
« First < 41011121314 151617 >
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:55 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My oldest surviving friend is married to a woman who is also a huge Duran Duran fan that has chased them all over the country and seen them countless times. She's also been a complete bitch to me as long as I've known her. I certainly never liked Duran Duran anyway, but I think I mainly hate them because of her.

There aren't many groups I've seen multiple times, but a few. As I've gotten older I really don't like concerts all that much. The bands I see are all from the 70s and 80s, and I get sick of being surrounded by drunk assholes bellowing out the lyrics so loud that I can't hear the singers on the stage. Yes, you know the words. Congratulations. The songs were written 40 years ago; everybody knows the fucking words. Shut the hell up and listen to them. I prefer the theater now. People stay in their seats and keep their mouths shut.
:-) :-)

Man, I LOVE these posts!

And, I wholeheartedly agree on the whole concert experience. I realize that my perspective is a bit different than most fans but I never went to shows of any kind, whether it was a club show, small theater, amphitheater, arena or stadium, to get "drunk" or "high". I went to hear the music, see the players do their thing and hopefully come away with a great musical experience.

I'm the same way with pro sports, whether it's football, basketball or baseball. Sure, I'll have a Dodger dog and a beer, especially if I hadn't eaten dinner but the primary goal was to catch a game with friends, not get wasted.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:58 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Oh, here's a good one: David Lee Roth, who was famous for being a fantastic entertainer, never wrote a single word of any joke or story he ever said or told onstage.

His jokes and stories were written by a woman, who's had a super successful career at ESPN and Comedy Central (among other networks and programs) and is married to a super successful TV writer/producer. They're still friends with Dave and she wrote his banter for the last Van Halen tour.

We were hanging out just before Van Halen finished up their last world tour at the Hollywood Bowl and I said "I guess I should probably see Van Halen because it's the last time I'll likely have a chance".

Her response? "Don't. Even Dave will tell you that they are DONE. But if you want backstage passes, I'll hook you up".

I decided it would be better to keep my 80's memories intact.
I watched a couple of YouTube videos of recent Van Halen, and yeah, they're awful now, pretty much completely because of Dave. I'd never even consider seeing them again unless they brought Sammy back.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:09 PM 08-09-2020
:-) :-)

Man, I LOVE these posts!

And, I wholeheartedly agree on the whole concert experience. I realize that my perspective is a bit different than most fans but I never went to shows of any kind, whether it was a club show, small theater, amphitheater, arena or stadium, to get "drunk" or "high". I went to hear the music, see the players do their thing and hopefully come away with a great musical experience.

I'm the same way with pro sports, whether it's football, basketball or baseball. Sure, I'll have a Dodger dog and a beer, especially if I hadn't eaten dinner but the primary goal was to catch a game with friends, not get wasted.
I never drink at concerts or ballgames. Even when I was young and drank like the drunken sailor I was. I grew up in a small town three hours away from Kansas City and St. Louis, and later for much of my youth didn't have a lot of money, so going to these events was rare and a big deal. Why get so hammered that you can't even remember what you saw, or have to spend half the time standing in line to piss? I can get shitfaced anywhere, anytime. Seeing my favorite band live, not so much.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:32 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I watched a couple of YouTube videos of recent Van Halen, and yeah, they're awful now, pretty much completely because of Dave. I'd never even consider seeing them again unless they brought Sammy back.
I saw them on their last tour with Sammy back in 2004 at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas.

It was maybe the worst concert I've ever seen.

Sammy and Michael Anthony were fantastic and spot on. AVH seemed uninterested and bored while Eddie was so freaking wasted out of his mind that it was unlistenable garbage. I mean, it sounded like a beginner on guitar.

My buddy and I ended up walking out about 45 minutes into the "show" and we weren't the only people leaving the venue.

The boos were almost deafening.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:38 PM 08-09-2020
I saw them on their last tour with Sammy back in 2004 at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas.

Sammy and Michael Anthony were fantastic and spot on. AVH seemed uninterested and bored while Eddie was so freaking wasted out of his mind that it was unlistenable garbage. I mean, it sounded like a beginner on guitar.

My buddy and I ended up walking out about 45 minutes into the "show" and we weren't the only people leaving the venue.

Jesus. Sounds like the asshole from Poison.
[Reply]
eDave 10:27 PM 08-09-2020
Zip it Dane! You a ruining everything. :-)
[Reply]
Monkey God 10:46 PM 08-09-2020
Oh, here's a good one: David Lee Roth, who was famous for being a fantastic entertainer, never wrote a single word of any joke or story he ever said or told onstage.

His jokes and stories were written by a woman, who's had a super successful career at ESPN and Comedy Central (among other networks and programs) and is married to a super successful TV writer/producer. They're still friends with Dave and she wrote his banter for the last Van Halen tour.

We were hanging out just before Van Halen finished up their last world tour at the Hollywood Bowl and I said "I guess I should probably see Van Halen because it's the last time I'll likely have a chance".

Her response? "Don't. Even Dave will tell you that they are DONE. But if you want backstage passes, I'll hook you up".

I decided it would be better to keep my 80's memories intact.
I went to a show when David and Sammy were touring together back in the early 2000's. Each did their own show. It was almost sad how great Sammy was and how washed up David was. David's set was like an old high school VH cover band getting together for their 30-year reunion.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:28 PM 08-09-2020
The only shows where I really got wasted were my own. Yeah, there were a few concerts that I went to under the influence but I played in a band that literally got paid by the ounce so yeah...
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:03 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Was that the show in KC ? I went to that one,but wasnt very close to the stage so i don't remember what anybody was wearing.I remember NIN played Head Like a Hole which is kind of a hit but cant remember much else that they played,other than they do have a pretty cool screen setup behind them.
No this show was in Tampa. I remember people yelling Head Like a Hole but Trent wasn’t having it that night I guess.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 09:45 AM 08-10-2020

I had tickets to see DLR in March at the House of Blues in Vegas.....then COVID came along.

I never saw him.......and I knew what I was getting into (as I had seen the Youtube videos of the last VH tour).

But I was going, trying to replace a memory that I missed out on as a younger lad.

Maybe this is one good thing that came out of COVID? :-)
[Reply]
DJJasonp 09:55 AM 08-10-2020
Speaking of all these disappointing experiences with "older" bands.....

I may get flamed for this.....but I honestly enjoy seeing tribute bands, in many cases, better than the originals (at this point in the originals' career).

I've seen some pretty amazing shows from tribute bands that nail the experience pretty well:

Temptation (New Order/Joy Division)
Strangelove (Depeche Mode)
Fooze Fighters
Fan Halen
Paradise City
The Cured

U2 Hollywood puts on a helluva show. Even "Bono" looks like Bono. And seems to have a better voice these days as well.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:30 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:

I may get flamed for this.....but I honestly enjoy seeing tribute bands, in many cases, better than the originals (at this point in the originals' career).

I've seen some pretty amazing shows from tribute bands that nail the experience pretty well:

Fooze Fighters
Fan Halen
Paradise City
The Cured

U2 Hollywood puts on a helluva show. Even "Bono" looks like Bono. And seems to have a better voice these days as well.
I've seen Marc Martel in concert. Closest you can get to seeing Queen with Freddie Mercury that doesn't involve time travel.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 08-10-2020, 01:19 PM
This message has been deleted by DeepPurple.
DeepPurple 01:23 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:

Fooze Fighters
Fan Halen
Paradise City
The Cured

I've got 5 folders of tribute bands, about 1500 total saved on youtube and they're all live. Every Friday night my wife with our 75" TV and surround sound, it's like a show in our home. For past few months tribute bands is all I want to watch. Here an across the board selection of different types.

Gypsy is Lisa Murdock a Steve Nicks tribute artist in the LA area, she is also easy on the eyes.

Reflective Soul is a Collective Soul tribute band in Texas

Obscure is a Cure tribute band in Spain

One of the best Led Zeppelin tribute bands is Kashmir, play all over the USA

The absolute best Journey tribute, you would almost think it's Steve Perry

Heart tribute 'Heart Attack' at the HOB in Dallas - the two ladies aren't bad looking either

ELO tribute in Holland - I use wear out their album New World Record

Black Crowes tribute Non-Fiction in Maryland

Muse tribute in the UK - great sound!

Brit Pink Floyd at Red Rocks - they have a lot of videos, do a search all over the world

Pat Benatar Experience - Looks and sounds like a 30 year old Pat Benatar - plays the west coast

Forced to Mode - German Depeche Mode tribute early 90's style

Portrait tribute to Kansas out of St. Louis

Phil Collins & Genesis Tribute live in Germany

Kings of Leon tribute Kings ov Leon in England

Kick tribute to INXS out of Atlanta

Rammstein tribute in Italy, the band Rammstein is huge in Europe

The Thin Lizzy Experience in Ireland, if you didn't know better, you would swear Phill Lynott had returned

Aeromyth tribute to Aerosmith, northeast USA, no that's not Steven Tyler.

Barracuda tribute to Heart in Florida, the girl guitar player is really good!

Rumours tribute to Fleetwood Mac out of California but perform all over

Best Police Tribute band 'The Police Station' in Argentina

This guy puts the real Rod Stewart to shame, this is older video of his but he's still going strong, David Battah tribute 'Forever Young'

I guess that's enough for now, if you have a band request let me know.
[Reply]
Vegas_Dave 01:41 PM 08-10-2020
Seven Mary Three
[Reply]
eDave 06:09 PM 08-10-2020
If you get a chance to see Brit Floyd do it. I see them every time I can. I have tix to their next..

Dead Floyd is also great but a smaller production. They mix Floyd and Gratefull Dead. I'm no Dead fan but the two together works reallly well.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 17
« First < 41011121314 151617 >
Up