ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 17
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:17 AM 08-02-2020
The only show that comes to mind was REM at Sandstone in the mid 90s.

Stipe was battling some bug, and it was the most boring concert I ever attended.

A buddy of mine tops this category though, as he saw some MTV concert that had Milli Vanilli on the bill!
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:20 AM 08-02-2020
KISS at the Illinois state fair 3-4 years ago, Paul’s voice was clearly shot and almost their entire set was made up of my least favorite songs

Proudly KISS Army, but vowed that night to never see them again... hang’em up, guys
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:28 AM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
KISS at the Illinois state fair 3-4 years ago, Paul’s voice was clearly shot and almost their entire set was made up of my least favorite songs

Proudly KISS Army, but vowed that night to never see them again... hang’em up, guys
Heard a lot saying their last few have been BAD. got killed in the paper here last summer.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 09:59 AM 08-02-2020
I'd have to agree with the OP,i just never could get into Blues Traveler,as soon as i would hear that harmonica on whichever song that was popular,i would change the station.But it always sucks when one of your fave bands tanks a live show when you were hoping for a good performance.I guess i've been lucky in that the shows i've seen over the years,i may not have enjoyed all of them but don't really regret seeing live.One i can think of would be Candlebox,it was probably at Memorial.i only knew of maybe the 2 or 3 songs they play on the radio.Not sure why i went,don't remember much from it other than they were pretty popular at the time,and i guess are still around.My apologies if they're anybodys favorite band.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:03 AM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Heard a lot saying their last few have been BAD. got killed in the paper here last summer.
They’re greedy bastards without the good sense to know they’re tarnishing their legacy
[Reply]
Bowser 10:35 AM 08-02-2020
Hands down Puddle of Mudd
[Reply]
chefsos 10:59 AM 08-02-2020
I saw Marshall Tucker Band at a bar in 2002 or so. The girl I was with saw them a year or two before and said they were pretty bad, but we were hoping it was an anomaly.

It wasn't. Specifically, the lead singer's voice was just shot to hell and IN THE MIDDLE of Heard it in a Love Song (the one I really wanted to hear) he passed off the vocals to another band member, while blaming the sound system.

So, whenever I hear their music now I can't un-remember that night and it's disappointing.
[Reply]
sully1983 11:02 AM 08-02-2020
Nickelback (in fairness to myself I was at the concert to see Staind at the time).
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:12 PM 08-02-2020
Jefferson Airplane. They sucked to high heaven. I actually saw folks standing up and leaving.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:22 PM 08-02-2020
Tech N9ne at Rockfest in like 99.

Just staggeringly awful.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 02:31 PM 08-02-2020
I saw Bob Dylan in Springfield somewhere between 07 and 09. It was pretty bad.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:37 PM 08-02-2020
Four really stand out.

1. Dokken, about a year ago. He was opening for Tom Keifer of Cinderella at the Arcada Theater in St. Charles, IL. The Arcada is a nearly 100-year-old theater that has been repurposed as a concert venue. Unfortunately, it has no air conditioning, and not knowing this, we got tickets for this packed show in July. It was hotter than the devil's asshole in there. Absolutely miserable. People started to sweat, and then people started to stink. And then Dokken took the stage, and the stink increased exponentially. Don's voice is gone. He sounded like a drunk old man singing bad karaoke. He couldn't sing anything right, and couldn't hit any high notes at all. At one point he started waiving frantically to his bass player, obviously trying to get the poor guy to take over on vocals. The bass player ignored him. It was awful. In the middle of the third song we went outside and waited out the remainder of their set. It was hot and humid outside, but far better than the alternative. Later, the bass player came out to have a smoke and was telling everybody what a dick Dokken is. That was far more entertaining than the show. Finally Keifer's show started. He was great, but between the swampy heat and the lingering effects of getting ear raped the evening was ruined. Worst. Show. Ever.

2. Great White, back in the early 2000s. It took the above experience to unseat these turds as the worst concert ever. Most 80s bands know what their fans want - to hear their 80s songs and go back in time for a couple of hours. Apparently Great White thought they were still relevant, because they played nothing but new shit, that was shit, none of which I'd ever heard before or want to hear again. And they played it badly. The lead singer's voice was shot. Finally, they did Once Bitten Twice Shy. Again, poorly. It was their final song. There was a brief smattering of applause, and then silence. No encore. This was perhaps a year before the Rhode Island nightclub fire, and I remember thinking that those poor fuckers that died were lucky that the fire started near the beginning of their show, because if they'd had to suffer through two hours of Great White and then burn to death, that would just be cruel.

3. Poison, 1992. They were the headliners at the Monsters of Rock show I saw that also featured Firehouse, Damn Yankees and Skynyrd. Those three were solid; Skynyrd in particular was flawless. Then came Poison. This was at a time when Poison's regular guitarist, C.C. DeVille, had been kicked out of the band, and the guy they got to replace him apparently felt like he should put his own signature on the guitar solos. It was horrible; he singlehandedly ruined the entire performance. After he absolutely butchered the solo in Every Rose Has Its Thorn, we got up and left. I've seen them a couple of times after that (the wife is a big fan), and after DeVille returned they were fine. But not that first night.

4. Bob Dylan. 1990. Dylan's singing voice sounds like a cross between a dying cat and a chainsaw. At least the ticket was free.

Dishonorable mention goes to Kansas, who I saw back in the late 80s. Walsh's voice was shot. The music was great. He was not.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:43 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
3. Poison, 1992. Then came Poison. This was at a time when Poison's regular guitarist, C.C. DeVille, had been kicked out of the band, and the guy they got to replace him apparently felt like he should put his own signature on the guitar solos. It was horrible; he singlehandedly ruined the entire performance. After he absolutely butchered the solo in Every Rose Has Its Thorn, we got up and left.
That guitarist was Richie Kotzen, who also fucked the drummer's fiance, then was fired by the band.

Saying that he's an asshole would be a huge understatement.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:47 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That guitarist was Richie Kotzen, who also fucked the drummer's fiance, then was fired by the band.

Saying that he's an asshole would be a huge understatement.
:-) Yeah, now I think about it I remember hearing that story. Might have been you that told me.

I actually felt bad for the rest of the guys in the band. Everybody else was fine. Brett's singing was spot on. But it didn't matter.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 17
1 234511 > Last »
Up