ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2814 of 3903
« First < 1814231427142764280428102811281228132814 281528162817281828242864291433143814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 10:09 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The task force guidelines were specific. 10 to 14 days of new case growth decline.

Do/did you disagree with that trigger for the beginning of phased re-opening?
Not necessarily, that was how it should have been done, but I also recognize why it wasn't.
[Reply]
Donger 10:09 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I don't understand what you're suggesting. Of all the people on this forum, I figured you would understand public health more than basically anyone.

I guess in a vacuum and as a general statement, your post makes sense. It makes zero sense in real life applications, however.

It's virtually impossible to mitigate the spread of the virus at home. This is why you want to stop it from making it there to begin with.

I can't believe I actually have to type that.
Agenda clouding reason and logic.
[Reply]
Fish 10:09 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
When you go to the most extreme thing first, you don't know what to revise to reduce the rate.

Hence where we are now.

Arizona is a prime example of it.
I would argue that we didn't really go to the most extreme.
[Reply]
Donger 10:10 AM 08-10-2020
Not necessarily, that was how it should have been done, but I also recognize why it wasn't.
It was done in New York, and it worked.

It wasn't done in other states, and it didn't work.

That's what the data show.
[Reply]
O.city 10:14 AM 08-10-2020
I don't understand what you're suggesting. Of all the people on this forum, I figured you would understand public health more than basically anyone.

I guess in a vacuum and as a general statement, your post makes sense. It makes zero sense in real life applications, however.

It's virtually impossible to mitigate the spread of the virus at home. This is why you want to stop it from making it there to begin with.

Ideally, yes. You stop it from ever getting in there.

With where we were and are, thats not possible. Because of transmission dynamics of this thing, to outrun the lag times, you're gonna have to isolate people from their families and such if you really want to mitigate it or truly suppress it. It's public health 101, which is why the WHO initially recommended it.

Public health has to weigh all aspects of this thing though. It's not feasible here like it is in say China for obvious reasons though.

Again, we're forced to deal with the hand we are being dealt here. It's a tightrope.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:15 AM 08-10-2020
Donger and Pete, do you guys work for a living? If I assume that you post once for every 3 minutes you're on here, you're up to around 140 and 190 hours of posting in this thread, respectively (and that's likely being conservative).

I just don't understand how you guys have so much time to spend in dominating the discussion in this thread.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 08-10-2020
It was done in New York, and it worked.

It wasn't done in other states, and it didn't work.

That's what the data show.
There's evidence that it isn't that whats keeping things down there as much as it is they're at some level of immunity. Same as other hard hit areas around the world.

So no, thats not necessarily what the "data shows".
[Reply]
O.city 10:17 AM 08-10-2020

A few weeks ago a study from SK got lots of attention for reportedly showed children aged 10 - 19 were just as, or more infectious than adults with #COVID19

But that was not the whole story

This study on the very same children shows whyhttps://t.co/6cZ4ruNAEc

1/6

— Alasdair Munro (@apsmunro) August 10, 2020

Dirk here's a good breakdown on the SK study.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:18 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Better compliance to recommendations of medical experts.
How long would depend on how well it worked.
Impossible to say, but better than what we've got now.
In other words you don't really know
[Reply]
petegz28 10:23 AM 08-10-2020

So where do you stop it? How? For how long? Are there ancillary effects to do such? If so what are they? What are the lasting effects of those?

I would say your take is a bit more in a vacuum than OC's.
[Reply]
Donger 10:23 AM 08-10-2020
There's evidence that it isn't that whats keeping things down there as much as it is they're at some level of immunity. Same as other hard hit areas around the world.

So no, thats not necessarily what the "data shows".
Ah, you think that New York has achieved herd immunity? Based on what?
[Reply]
Donger 10:23 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Donger and Pete, do you guys work for a living? If I assume that you post once for every 3 minutes you're on here, you're up to around 140 and 190 hours of posting in this thread, respectively (and that's likely being conservative).

I just don't understand how you guys have so much time to spend in dominating the discussion in this thread.
Yes, I do. On a conference call with a client right now.
[Reply]
Fish 10:28 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
In other words you don't really know
I don't know. Refer to the experts who are best positioned to make those decisions.
[Reply]
Pants 10:31 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So where do you stop it? How? For how long? Are there ancillary effects to do such? If so what are they? What are the lasting effects of those?

I would say your take is a bit more in a vacuum than OC's.
What is O.city's take and what is my take?

Are you referring to everything he and I have stated so far in this thread of thousands upon thousands of posts or are you referring strictly to me addressing his statement of:

"You wanna stop the spread where the majority of the spread happens, no?"
[Reply]
O.city 10:34 AM 08-10-2020
Ah, you think that New York has achieved herd immunity? Based on what?
I don't know that they're fully at it. There's alot of misconceptions about HI though. It doesn't mean there won't be infections. There will be, it's endemic now, there always will be some.

But I think they've hit a certain level of immunity that it's leveled it way off and I'm not sure but what they hadn't gotten close to that before lockdown. It was so widespread and out of control there, they also likely had some over shot of the level, whatever that level is.

It will also be different for every area, so there isn't a set percent for the population as a whole I don't think.

But with how fast they came down and stayed down, along with all the other areas that locked down and some that didnt', I think that there's something going on with immunity around that 20% mark.

We dont' fully understand it yet though, so I don't think it's time to go back to business as usual for sure either.
[Reply]
Page 2814 of 3903
« First < 1814231427142764280428102811281228132814 281528162817281828242864291433143814 > Last »
Up