ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 29
« First < 182425262728 29 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Maryville teen allegedly raped by football player
Skyy God 10:13 AM 10-14-2013
And wasn't prosecuted (probably) because the rapist's family was politically connected. There's no excuse for at least statutory under the facts as presented. Also. dude should probably avoid saying rape-y things on social media if he's still within the statute of limitations.

Originally Posted by :
Here's a depressing story that will bring back memories of the Steubenville rape case. It begins with a 14-year-old drunk girl getting dumped on her porch by the high school football player who had just allegedly raped her, and it ends with her family being driven out of town by an unsupportive community.

A horrifying story out of Missouri: A mother was run out of a small town after her daughter blacked out at a party filled with older high school athletes and was left, with clear marks of rape, on the front lawn of her home in freezing weather.

The Kansas City Star details how the small town of Maryville turned against a newly-arrived family after 14-year-old Daisy Coleman reported that an older athlete had sex with her while another older male videotaped, after she was given an alcoholic drink at a party that left her barely able to stand. Her friend, a 13-year-old, was also made to have non-consensual sex.

After a thorough investigation by the local police however, clearly implicating 17-year-old Matthew Barnett in the sexual assault, charges were inexplicably dropped by the prosecuting attorney. Barnett, coincidentally, is the grandson of a prominent former Missouri state representative.

Star reporter Dugan Arnett writes,

Sexual assault cases can be difficult to build because of factors such as a lack of physical evidence or inconsistent statements by witnesses. But by the time his department had concluded its investigation, Sheriff Darren White felt confident the office had put together a case that would “absolutely” result in prosecutions.

“Within four hours, we had obtained a search warrant for the house and executed that,” White told The Star. “We had all of the suspects in custody and had audio/video confessions.

“I would defy the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department to do what we did and get it wrapped up as nicely as we did in that amount of time.”

But no prosecutions ever came. The charges were dropped by the prosecuting attorney who didn't believe the evidence was strong enough. He dismissed any idea that political influence had anything to do with his decision.

In the meantime, the town had already begun to turn on the Coleman family. Threatening phone calls and online threats were directed at the family. Melinda Coleman had moved to the town with her four children after her husband, a physician, had died in a car accident. She was easily targeted by the community for being an outsider.
The parent of one of the teens at the Barnett house that night was the only one to comment briefly to The Star: “Our boys deserve an apology, and they haven’t gotten it yet.”

In a later interview, Rice [the prosecuting attorney] called it a case of “incorrigible teenagers” drinking alcohol and having sex. “They were doing what they wanted to do, and there weren’t any consequences. And it’s reprehensible. But is it criminal? No.”

Robert Sundell, who represented Barnett, echoed that sentiment: “Just because we don’t like the way teenagers act doesn’t necessarily make it a crime.”

After the charges were dropped, things just got worse for Melinda and Daisy Coleman. Daisy has struggled with depression and attempted suicide. Melinda had to move away from Maryville and back to the town she had lived in with her now-deceased husband. In April, the house in Maryville she still owned burned down under mysterious circumstances.

And Matthew Barnett, the young man accused by Coleman of raping her? He's attending the University of Central Missouri and apparently having a great time:

In a recent retweet, he expressed his views on women — and their desire for his sexual attentions — this way:

“If her name begins with A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z, she wants the D."
http://gawker.com/family-gets-driven...23656/@Tom_Ley
[Reply]
TripleThreat 10:10 AM 08-09-2020
I see where you are trying to come from slapnutz, but it’s a defense that you need to prove.

You are definitely coming at it from a defense attorneys point. Trying to prove why he is innocent or “they”.

That being said, when you read a bit about the story, after getting confessions and multiple other statements, the cops felt they had plenty of evidence to convict, but the prosecuting attorney dropped the charges for “lack of evidence”

Sure we’ve all had a real life experience of getting blacked out and passing out in gross conditions, bathroom floors for example.. but it’s a stretch to say when they dropped her off she said she didn’t want to go inside and needed to wait. Otherwise she would’ve probably been found on the porch and not on the lawn. The lawn shows they pretty much left her out and drove off and she made it as far as the lawn.

Also going inside and needing to throw up so she goes back outside? Why would you go outside in the freezing cold when you have a bathroom inside?

Lastly, so you’re saying she committed suicide over the guilt of having consensual sex at such a young age and trying to destroy other peoples lives, rather than because she simply was raped, told people, and it became a huge story that revolves around her every day life?
[Reply]
slapnutz_4 10:26 AM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
I see where you are trying to come from slapnutz, but it’s a defense that you need to prove.

You are definitely coming at it from a defense attorneys point. Trying to prove why he is innocent or “they”.

That being said, when you read a bit about the story, after getting confessions and multiple other statements, the cops felt they had plenty of evidence to convict, but the prosecuting attorney dropped the charges for “lack of evidence”

Sure we’ve all had a real life experience of getting blacked out and passing out in gross conditions, bathroom floors for example.. but it’s a stretch to say when they dropped her off she said she didn’t want to go inside and needed to wait. Otherwise she would’ve probably been found on the porch and not on the lawn. The lawn shows they pretty much left her out and drove off and she made it as far as the lawn.

Also going inside and needing to throw up so she goes back outside? Why would you go outside in the freezing cold when you have a bathroom inside?

Lastly, so you’re saying she committed suicide over the guilt of having consensual sex at such a young age and trying to destroy other peoples lives, rather than because she simply was raped, told people, and it became a huge story that revolves around her every day life?
This is actually a breath of fresh air knowing there is someone smart enough to actually have a grown up conversation about this instead of just spewing shit out they don't even know...there is alot of stuff about evidence that is not out bc of the age of people...

About being drunk and going back outside in the freezing cold why do we do any of the things we do when we are drunk. I'm not saying this is a fact and this is what happened like other people are saying this is a fact that she got thrown out and they drove off... In all honesty there are three sides to this story the girls side the boys side and the truth and none of us know any of it.

About the suicide I'm sure it had some to do with it one way or the other... But If all these people in here who know so much about this would actually know anything they would know she was getting stalked before her suicide and she would rather have killed herself than let the stalker kill her. Or it could have been her very last post before she died about how her mom was pimping her out to her mom was trying to pimp her out to her ex bf
[Reply]
otherstar 10:48 AM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by slapnutz_4:
How in the hell do you know this for a fact? She could have went and inside and had to puke and came back out for all you know ... All you people who have never had a reali life experience of your own and want to hang a kid for stuff you have seen zero evidence and know nothing about is terrifying
The fact that you seem to know so much about the case, AND are defending the rapists leads me to think that you either are one of the rapists, or are related to them. It could also be possible that you've raped someone and this is hitting too close to home and so you feel compelled to defend the rapists.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:52 AM 08-09-2020
Modern CP dog piles have even gone soft. :-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:56 AM 08-09-2020

[Reply]
TripleThreat 11:01 AM 08-09-2020
This is actually a breath of fresh air knowing there is someone smart enough to actually have a grown up conversation about this instead of just spewing shit out they don't even know...there is alot of stuff about evidence that is not out bc of the age of people...

About being drunk and going back outside in the freezing cold why do we do any of the things we do when we are drunk. I'm not saying this is a fact and this is what happened like other people are saying this is a fact that she got thrown out and they drove off... In all honesty there are three sides to this story the girls side the boys side and the truth and none of us know any of it.

About the suicide I'm sure it had some to do with it one way or the other... But If all these people in here who know so much about this would actually know anything they would know she was getting stalked before her suicide and she would rather have killed herself than let the stalker kill her. Or it could have been her very last post before she died about how her mom was pimping her out to her mom was trying to pimp her out to her ex bf
I don’t think she ever made it into the house in the first place. But if you think she did, it can’t exactly be, well we all do stupid things when we are drunk. We care less, and care a bit more about what we ourselves want when we are drunk. I think if she was that drunk, she wouldn’t have went back outside to throw up, she would’ve cared less and not have cared what her mom thought of her drinking, and she would’ve just thrown up in the bathroom. I think the “they left her outside because she said she wanted to sober up before going in” is a better argument to stick to even though I don’t think that’s what happened.

I did see that she had a stalker, and I did read the peoples article on it how her friends said it played a major role in her suicide.

Where’s the source about her post of her mom pimping her out to her ex boyfriend? I cannot find that, but if true, it shows what kind of mother she is, and could actually play a role in helping your stance, imo, but I need to see the factual source/post first
[Reply]
ghak99 11:13 AM 08-09-2020
Where’s the source about her post of her mom pimping her out to her ex boyfriend? I cannot find that, but if true, it shows what kind of mother she is, and could actually play a role in helping your stance, imo, but I need to see the factual source/post first
I'm not wading into this storm, but the local rumors that come out of that shithole won't be found in any national source. If you just accept that the factory is the damn devil, you might be in the right ballpark.

The poor girl had no one in her camp to right the ship behind the scenes. I wish she would have cut all ties and moved to a quiet place where no one knew her name instead of becoming the face of a campaign and allowing old strings from home to stay attached. Maybe she felt like she saved enough lives that hers was worth the trade. Either way, allowing those around her and the event to control her daily life was nearly guaranteed to be an ugly path into a grave.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:24 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by damaticous:
Every county in the U.S.A has issues, but what the fuuu...Nodaway County Missouri?

What the fuuu...part 1, Talbots...

What the fuuu....part 2, Raymond Gunn...

What the fuuu...part 3, Ken McElroy...

What the fuuu...part 4, Daisy...

...and more...
Don’t forget to paddle upstream in the Nodaway valley. Not too far north of Maryville.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villisca_axe_murders
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 06:18 PM 08-09-2020

Her mother addressed Daisy's last posts on Facebook.

"My daughter Catherine Daisy Coleman committed suicide tonight. If you saw crazy / messages and posts it was because I called the police to check on her," Melinda wrote on Facebook. "She was my best friend and amazing daughter. I think she had to make make it seem like I could live without her. I can't. I wish I could have taken the pain from her! She never recovered from what those boys did to her and it's just not fair. My baby girl is gone."
[Reply]
TripleThreat 07:39 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Her mother addressed Daisy's last posts on Facebook.

"My daughter Catherine Daisy Coleman committed suicide tonight. If you saw crazy / messages and posts it was because I called the police to check on her," Melinda wrote on Facebook. "She was my best friend and amazing daughter. I think she had to make make it seem like I could live without her. I can't. I wish I could have taken the pain from her! She never recovered from what those boys did to her and it's just not fair. My baby girl is gone."
I mean tbh, that doesn't do anything for me if I'm trying to be objective and have a jurors approach.

If she was pimping her out, shes saying exactly the things most others would say once the victim commits suicide.

I'm still waiting on the source for this alleged post however of the daughter saying her mother was pimping her out to her ex bf.

TBH its just like that old saying. When you're dying, you would try to leave a message of who your killer is. If this daughters last post (which still hasn't been provided) was saying that her mother was trying to pimp her out, I would very much take that into account on many things.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:30 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Don’t forget to paddle upstream in the Nodaway valley. Not too far north of Maryville.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villisca_axe_murders
Wow. That list of suspects was frightening. I'd read one and think, "Well, it's obvious that guy did it." And then I'd read the next one and think, "No, it had to be that guy instead." Southwest Iowa was crawling with axe-murdering serial killers in those days.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:56 PM 08-09-2020
I mean tbh, that doesn't do anything for me if I'm trying to be objective and have a jurors approach.

If she was pimping her out, shes saying exactly the things most others would say once the victim commits suicide.

I'm still waiting on the source for this alleged post however of the daughter saying her mother was pimping her out to her ex bf.

TBH its just like that old saying. When you're dying, you would try to leave a message of who your killer is. If this daughters last post (which still hasn't been provided) was saying that her mother was trying to pimp her out, I would very much take that into account on many things.
True but her mother said crazy 'posts' so I'm sure there were other posts that were clearly not making much sense. Daisy obviously had serious mental health issues as most rape victims do.

This is a blatant sign of small town corruption. Those rapists should be in jail right now. Sad story.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:41 PM 12-07-2020
Daisys mom killed herself. Wow

Melinda Coleman, the mother of Daisy Coleman from 'Audrie and Daisy', has also died by suicide https://t.co/0907swdle7 pic.twitter.com/kOUou3XuNW

— Rolling Stone (@RollingStone) December 7, 2020

[Reply]
Bowser 02:42 PM 12-07-2020
Holy shit
[Reply]
eDave 02:42 PM 12-07-2020
Damn.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 29
« First < 182425262728 29 >
Up