Page 361 of 934
« First < 261311351357358359360361 362363364365371411461861 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:32 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
To people in this thread who have a brain (aka not Clay), are you expecting another big drop in the near future or over these next 6-ish months?
I’m expecting a large dump late 2020 or early 2021 (50%+). Although the Feds may start buying stocks so who really knows.

Guessing is hard. I always take profits along the way in my brokerage account because no one ever went poor selling stocks for profit. In my investment accounts I just dollar cost average each month and never look back. I rebalance those accounts once a year to my desired allocation.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:36 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
My 20 year old son has a ROTH IRA. Is today as good a day as any for him to drop some coin in it?
Time IN the market beats timing the market. If you have the cash, investing sooner rather than later usually results in more compounding interest over time.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:40 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Time IN the market beats timing the market. If you have the cash, investing sooner rather than later usually results in more compounding interest over time.
Even if you expect a big dump (50%+) in just a few months?

I guess if you're 20 you've got another 40 years for the market to rebound and compound interest, but would it be better for someone on the older side to ride it out for another 6-9 months before dumping in a boatload of cash?
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:45 PM 06-15-2020

I guess if you're 20 you've got another 40 years for the market to rebound and compound interest, but would it be better for someone on the older side to ride it out for another 6-9 months before dumping in a boatload of cash?
I would tend to agree with Lew that dollar cost averaging is the way to go. None of us really knows what will happen. If we get good news about vaccines and the second wave is small, then the markets will climb from here. So if you put in a little at a time with consistency, you'll manage both downside risk and upside risk.

I love the fact that trades are free now on the brokerages. I can buy $100 of stock at a time now without worrying about fees eating my profits.
[Reply]
jdubya 02:49 PM 06-15-2020
Every once in awhile i am reminded that no matter how old I get, I`m still capable of asking stupid questions. Feel foolish that I needed reminding that the success of ROTH IRAs are based on CI which is based on time. Thanks the the head slap of wakefulness :-)
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 02:58 PM 06-15-2020
Today was a good day.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:03 PM 06-15-2020
To people in this thread who have a brain (aka not Clay), are you expecting another big drop in the near future or over these next 6-ish months?
If you saw my chart this year you'd think more highly of my brain.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:11 PM 06-15-2020

Someone older should limit their stock exposure anyway. If they’re dumping a Boatload on stocks that late in life, that’s their gambling, not money management.

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
If you saw my chart this year you'd think more highly of my brain.
Realized gains or all paper?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:14 PM 06-15-2020
Realized gains or all paper?
Some realized, some are long-term holds.

But move those goalposts, lewdick.

We're not in the IQ era any more.

I am become death, destroyer of shorts.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:17 PM 06-15-2020
Every once in awhile i am reminded that no matter how old I get, I`m still capable of asking stupid questions. Feel foolish that I needed reminding that the success of ROTH IRAs are based on CI which is based on time. Thanks the the head slap of wakefulness :-)
Not a problem. Easy concept but missed by many.

I’m going to get this thread on track and provide some good responses, articles and information. I’ve spent the last few months screwing around in my posting here and honestly this could be a valuable thread. Pete and Buehler provide good posts, along with Rainman and some occasional others. I’ll even say that Clay isn’t always wrong, but I do enjoy the banter with him. His trading style is risky although no uncommon. I wouldn’t recommend it for most but he’s not always super foolish.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:18 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Some realized, some are long-term holds.

But move those goalposts, lewdick.

We're not in the IQ era any more.

I am become death, destroyer of shorts.
Your fascination with my dick could be the reason you’re #foreveralone.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:08 PM 06-15-2020
My 20 year old son has a ROTH IRA. Is today as good a day as any for him to drop some coin in it?
At 20 years old, everyday is a good day to drop coin in. I wish I had a Roth at 20.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:42 PM 06-15-2020

History says NO.
[Reply]
rydogg58 07:34 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
At 20 years old, everyday is a good day to drop coin in. I wish I had a Roth at 20.
Absolutely. I am always talking to the newer people at work about how important it is to always contribute to our TSP. A lot of them don't realize how quickly it can build if you put a few % more than the match.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:11 PM 06-15-2020
My company match blows. Only bad part about my job and benefits. I put in 12% of my own income to bring my tax bracket down though. Crazy how many people pass up free money in the company match.
[Reply]
Page 361 of 934
« First < 261311351357358359360361 362363364365371411461861 > Last »
Up