ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 298 of 1209
« First < 198248288294295296297298 299300301302308348398798 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Pablo 04:48 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Buzz:
99 cents a pound at Hy-Vee today, can't beat the price. So has anyone made mashed potatoes from roasted ones? I was going to take the majority of them and mix with butter, milk, sour cream, cheese, garlic and mash. The wife likes mashed potatoes on the bottom of chicken and noodles.
Nope, only ever done it the old fashioned way.

I'd like to check the pulse of CP here. You're making mashed potatoes.

What potato do you use? Skin on or off?

I go yukon gold, skin on. Milk, butter, touch of sour cream, touch of garlic powder, salt and heavy on the pepper personally.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:50 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Pablo:
If I was a little more ambitious I could definitely make a bomb-ass stock every time I bought one.
Same here, I really need to stop being so lazy about that

99 cents a pound at Hy-Vee today, can't beat the price. So has anyone made mashed potatoes from roasted ones? I was going to take the majority of them and mix with butter, milk, sour cream, cheese, garlic and mash. The wife likes mashed potatoes on the bottom of chicken and noodles.
Thats how my dear sweet Ma does her noodles, on a bed of mash... talk about filling, good God
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:58 PM 10-01-2016

I go yukon gold, skin on. Milk, butter, touch of sour cream, touch of garlic powder, salt and heavy on the pepper personally.

Depends on what I feel like. Sometimes I use traditional russets, sometimes Yukon holds, sometimes reds. They all have their benefits and disadvantages, with Yukons probably being the most forgiving.

Tough to beat russets for really light and fluffy mashed, though.

Yukons and reds I usually leave unpeeled. Russets, peeled.

Butter and depending on how rich, cream, half and half, or whole milk. If I'm doing garlic, I smash the cloves and put it in with the boiling water. Try that sometime. Otherwise, I tend to do just salt, sometimes pepper.
[Reply]
Buzz 04:58 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Easy 6:

Thats how my dear sweet Ma does her noodles, on a bed of mash... talk about filling, good God

It's definitely comfort food.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:59 PM 10-01-2016
Yep, I get a 4 lb. chicken for that price. Roast chicken for a couple of meals, save a breast for chicken salad. Works out great. If I was a little more ambitious I could definitely make a bomb-ass stock every time I bought one.

I save the backs and carcass and freeze them. Then make giant batches of stock and freeze.
[Reply]
Buzz 05:00 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Depends on what I feel like. Sometimes I use traditional russets, sometimes Yukon holds, sometimes reds. They all have their benefits and disadvantages, with Yukons probably being the most forgiving.

Tough to beat russets for really light and fluffy mashed, though.

Yukons and reds I usually leave unpeeled. Russets, peeled.

Butter and depending on how rich, cream, half and half, or whole milk. If I'm doing garlic, I smash the cloves and put it in with the boiling water. Try that sometime. Otherwise, I tend to do just salt, sometimes pepper.

Have you ever made them from roasted?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:01 PM 10-01-2016

Usually skin them. I've had red potatoes that weren't skinned that I really like but wife always wants them skinned.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:02 PM 10-01-2016
I save the backs and carcass and freeze them. Then make giant batches of stock and freeze.
I need a second fridge.

I'm waiting until we remodel the kitchen and then I'll move this bastard upstairs into the garage and have a nice beer fridge/extra freezer. Just don't have the space to do any of that right now and don't want to go after a deep freeze exclusively.
[Reply]
In58men 05:02 PM 10-01-2016
If I got a $1 for every time you said "stock" I'd get season tickets and buy a house in KC. You love homemade stock my man.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:04 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Easy 6:

Yeah. My mom did the same thing. But I've had them recently and figured out I don't eat like that anymore. I used to fucking crush them. But they're too heavy for me now.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:09 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. My mom did the same thing. But I've had them recently and figured out I don't eat like that anymore. I used to fucking crush them. But they're too heavy for me now.
I can get after some chicken and noodles. Just don't do really care for the carb overload of throwing a bunch of potatoes and maybe some rolls on top of the main course.

That's a Thanksgiving leftovers sort of meal for me, only.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:12 PM 10-01-2016
yukon gold potatoes roasted in olive oil and chicken fat.
I had a bag of Russets gaining eyes, so I made another of my custom throw-together creations.

In a crockery I layer potato disks with porcini and red onion slivers. drizzle with bacon grease, top with finely diced garlic and sea salt, and roast.

After everything is softened and darkened, top with a dollop of sour cream. The mushrooms mix AWESOME with the sour cream.

Small portion of ham steak on the side with horseradish.

Perfect early fall.
[Reply]
In58men 05:13 PM 10-01-2016
I've been a Russet guy myself. Those were the only taters my mother would buy. Can't go wrong with them.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:13 PM 10-01-2016
Have you ever made them from roasted?

No, but I could imagine them being really tasty.

I need a second fridge.

I'm waiting until we remodel the kitchen and then I'll move this bastard upstairs into the garage and have a nice beer fridge/extra freezer. Just don't have the space to do any of that right now and don't want to go after a deep freeze exclusively.

We replaced our fridge a year or so ago, and kept the older one as a beverage fridge and second freezer. I was initially against it, but admit it's been really nice having.

Originally Posted by Inmem58:
If I got a $1 for every time you said "stock" I'd get season tickets and buy a house in KC. You love homemade stock my man.

I do love homemade stock. It's so much better than store bought. But I didn't bring it up. :-)
[Reply]
Pablo 05:16 PM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I had a bag of Russets gaining eyes, so I made another of my custom throw-together creations.

In a crockery I layer potato disks with porcini and red onion slivers. drizzle with bacon grease, top with finely diced garlic and sea salt, and roast.

After everything is softened and darkened, top with a dollop of sour cream. The mushrooms mix AWESOME with the sour cream.

Small portion of ham steak on the side with horseradish.

Perfect early fall.
That sounds heavenly.
[Reply]
Page 298 of 1209
« First < 198248288294295296297298 299300301302308348398798 > Last »
Up