ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1624 of 3903
« First < 624112415241574161416201621162216231624 162516261627162816341674172421242624 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Ghost of Maslowski 09:20 PM 04-24-2020

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...04242020-1.pdf
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:22 PM 04-24-2020
And BTW thats the worst place for Covid in this entire country.
[Reply]
Ghost of Maslowski 09:24 PM 04-24-2020

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...04242020-1.pdf
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:26 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Again, I think testing is being a bit overblown. We don't need tests to see our hospitals are obviously not overflowing. Don't get me wrong I am not against testing at all and think kits should be available but what is the strategy with testing at this point in regards to opening back up?

If I am sick I am staying home, especially right now. If I have symptoms I am being counted as positive even if I am not. I just don't see the correlation between testing and it being a requirement to opening things back up?

I mean, if you have an outbreak or are in a hot spot, you're gonna know without testing because there is going to be a run on the hospitals and doctors.

We are laying off doctors and nurses right now while at the same time we are being told we have to shut down so we don't overrun the hospitals.
Testing is the only way to answer the 2 questions posted by you and O.City that I quoted. It's also one of the "requirements" in Phase 1 of easing restrictions per the federal government guidelines.

Kansas cases are still increasing and although our hospitals aren't being overrun that doesn't mean we should just pull down our pants and slide on the ice.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:31 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
Testing is the only way to answer the 2 questions posted by you and O.City that I quoted. It's also one of the "requirements" in Phase 1 of easing restrictions per the federal government guidelines.

Kansas cases are still increasing and although our hospitals aren't being overrun that doesn't mean we should just pull down our pants and slide on the ice.
I don't think anyone is advocating just opening up full blast. But the Gov s saying there aren't enough test kits available to open things back up. I just don't see how she gets there with that.

If you start to open things back up and people start going to the hospital, you're gonna know regardless of tests.
[Reply]
ghak99 09:33 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Ready to see people go hungry? Why?
In short, you can only push people so far. Once you're on the edge for too long, you either jump or start kicking people in the teeth to get away from it. Add making 6 figure decisions on a regular basis while carrying two generations of devotion on your shoulders, and things get ugly.

I doubt many people here know this, but even before Covid fired up dairy producers in some regions were regularly being sent mental health letters with suicide prevention information along with their milk checks. Think about that for a minute, you get your paycheck and the second page is full of information just trying to keep you from offing yourself. Then Covid hits. Essential workers going broke while .gov hands out raises for a large group of the population for sitting on the couch. Can you see where the wedge is being drove?

Originally Posted by O.city:
Ghak99 how can this all be corrected/fixed?
At this point, I'm not sure I know how to answer your question. There are so many policies and decisions that have lead up to this point that it's one giant puzzle of fuckdom. If I did, it would immediately need moved to DC.

I guess I'd start with a question. What percentage of your income do you spend on food? Not the high end food you really don't need, but just basic food to keep your family happy and growing. Then I'd ask what percentage of your income do you spend on golf, toys, cell phones, etc, etc. Compare those two figures with an open mind and ask yourself how it's even possible.

The US committed to having one of the cheapest reliable food supplies imaginable and the population takes it for granted. That commitment comes at a cost only a very small segment of the population even knows about. You just can't dig a hole for 20 years and then try to fix it overnight when Covid throws a wrench in the gears. It requires pain, desperation, and accepting reality to admit change has to happen in order to prevent these things from happening. That pain is what some producers are ready to see as they feel it'll lead to change.

We can't magically make these plants run wide open at this point. It's just not possible. You can adjust regulations and bust an oligarchy in an attempt to prevent it from happening in the future. It might mean your $1 cheeseburger needs to cost $1.10 in the future. It might even require making sure that extra .10 is invested in the proper locations.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:40 PM 04-24-2020
I don't think anyone is advocating just opening up full blast. But the Gov s saying there aren't enough test kits available to open things back up. I just don't see how she gets there with that.

If you start to open things back up and people start going to the hospital, you're gonna know regardless of tests.
I don't (personally) know what the number of kits are available in KS or how easy it is to procure them, I only know that's what's she's saying.

If things do open and people start going to the hospital what do you do to mitigate that? I totally agree that we need to ease restrictions but it has to be done intelligently, hopefully that's what happens.
[Reply]
O.city 09:41 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
In short, you can only push people so far. Once you're on the edge for too long, you either jump or start kicking people in the teeth to get away from it. Add making 6 figure decisions on a regular basis while carrying two generations of devotion on your shoulders, and things get ugly.

I doubt many people here know this, but even before Covid fired up dairy producers in some regions were regularly being sent mental health letters with suicide prevention information along with their milk checks. Think about that for a minute, you get your paycheck and the second page is full of information just trying to keep you from offing yourself. Then Covid hits. Essential workers going broke while .gov hands out raises for a large group of the population for sitting on the couch. Can you see where the wedge is being drove?

At this point, I'm not sure I know how to answer your question. There are so many policies and decisions that have lead up to this point that it's one giant puzzle of ****dom. If I did, it would immediately need moved to DC.

I guess I'd start with a question. What percentage of your income do you spend on food? Not the high end food you really don't need, but just basic food to keep your family happy and growing. Then I'd ask what percentage of your income do you spend on golf, toys, cell phones, etc, etc. Compare those two figures with an open mind and ask yourself how it's even possible.

The US committed to having one of the cheapest reliable food supplies imaginable and the population takes it for granted. That commitment comes at a cost only a very small segment of the population even knows about. You just can't dig a hole for 20 years and then try to fix it overnight when Covid throws a wrench in the gears. It requires pain, desperation, and accepting reality to admit change has to happen in order to prevent these things from happening. That pain is what some producers are ready to see as they feel it'll lead to change.

We can't magically make these plants run wide open at this point. It's just not possible. You can adjust regulations and bust an oligarchy in an attempt to prevent it from happening in the future. It might mean your $1 cheeseburger needs to cost $1.10 in the future. It might even require making sure that extra .10 is invested in the proper locations.
Damn

Yeah I can see where the frustration will come from there for sure.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:43 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
I don't (personally) know what the number of kits are available in KS or how easy it is to procure them, I only know that's what's she's saying.

If things do open and people start going to the hospital what do you do to mitigate that? I totally agree that we need to ease restrictions but it has to be done intelligently, hopefully that's what happens.
I think you have to keep perspective above all. Right now it's just shut down everything and see what happens. We can't continue on that route. If we start to truly get a run on the hospitals then I think you have to start locking down some things again.

But my point is we locked down everything because we knew the hospitals would get overrun and we had to minimize it. That never happened. So that tells me that while locking down worked, perhaps it was a bit too much in some cases?

Again, no easy answers. But at some point pragmatism has to be taken into the equation as well.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:49 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
It might mean your $1 cheeseburger needs to cost $1.10 in the future. It might even require making sure that extra .10 is invested in the proper locations.
:-) - after 2008 and all the stresses placed on energy and transport sectors, the '$1 cheeseburger' became the $5 cheeseburger.

A little overstated, but not nearly so much as 10 cent increase is understated.

Between minimum wages, social distancing, and food industry stresses, I would not be the least bit surprised to see individual $20 Value Meals in the fast food industry in the near future.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:52 PM 04-24-2020
I think you have to keep perspective above all. Right now it's just shut down everything and see what happens. We can't continue on that route. If we start to truly get a run on the hospitals then I think you have to start locking down some things again.

But my point is we locked down everything because we knew the hospitals would get overrun and we had to minimize it. That never happened. So that tells me that while locking down worked, perhaps it was a bit too much in some cases?

Again, no easy answers. But at some point pragmatism has to be taken into the equation as well.
Agreed, we just have to be smart about it. There should be some answers as to how much is too much with the states relaxing restriction today. It will be 11 days when KS is expected to ease restrictions, if GA etc have a huge spike in cases by then I expect Gov Kelly to extend the current restriction longer.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:57 PM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
:-) - after 2008 and all the stresses placed on energy and transport sectors, the '$1 cheeseburger' became the $5 cheeseburger.

A little overstated, but not nearly so much as 10 cent increase is understated.

Between minimum wages, social distancing, and food industry stresses, I would not be the least bit surprised to see individual $20 Value Meals in the fast food industry in the near future.
Hyperbolic AF
[Reply]
Monticore 09:58 PM 04-24-2020
Sounds like they opened stuff up in Germany and people are still staying in.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:16 PM 04-24-2020
Only .08% of the fatalities were under 45 and no underlying condition. Wow.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 10:37 PM 04-24-2020

The family of this 4-year-old says they did everything right, but the little boy still contracted coronavirus and had to fight for his life in a Denver ICU https://t.co/H3AngsI4V9 pic.twitter.com/9OpvNA9x1Q

— CBS News (@CBSNews) April 25, 2020

[Reply]
Page 1624 of 3903
« First < 624112415241574161416201621162216231624 162516261627162816341674172421242624 > Last »
Up