ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1580 of 3903
« First < 580108014801530157015761577157815791580 158115821583158415901630168020802580 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mecca 10:43 AM 04-22-2020

[Reply]
KCUnited 10:44 AM 04-22-2020
Open back up!
[Reply]
Mecca 10:44 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's really sad that the lowest wage earners are those that are screaming the loudest to "open back up".

Married people earning $100K+ working from the comfort of their homes and single people earning $50k+ from the comfort of their apartments are not clamoring for things to "open back up" (although I know a few parents with younger children that would like to see the schools open but that's a different subject altogether).
We know why this is....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:44 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by shitgoose:
So in that scenario the Salon or any business could be liable for spreading any infectious disease or would it be limited to Covid-19 only?

If I go to the salon and get a haircut, contract the flu and die because I also have some underlying health condition, my family could sue the Salon?
First off, I don't think there's a salon owner that would even take that risk because even if their insurance would cover a lawsuit for a COVID-19 hospitalization or death, it would likely only cover it once.

And who in their right mind would take that kind of risk?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:45 AM 04-22-2020
So a salon that reopens could be liable for what exactly? Do gas stations or liquor stores that never closed carry the same liability?
Most haircut salons/barber shops have liability insurance.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:46 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Exactly the problem. It's real easy for people who aren't in the position to tell someone else how they will run their business. It's true the big chain restaurants will be able to open at something like half capacity and get by. Small businesses on the other hand don't have that luxury.

So as with everything else in life it comes down to the risks you're willing to take. As a business owner are you willing to fully open up as much as you are allowed? As a customer are you willing to go to a place that opened up fully?

Obviously there is no one right answer but there is still a tendency to play down the economic impact this is and is going to continue having.
Pretty clear answer is that the only types of commercial establishments that are going to be available to the general public will be super-well capitalized megacorps that can amass hundreds of millions in cash equivalents or have main line access to central banks to get lending.

Small businesses will never have either, so they're inherently more risky and thus will only be able to borrow paltry sums at usurious rates from whatever massive banks are around in five years' time.

The idea of entrepreneurship is pretty much over in this country, unless you're the patron of some large institutional seed money from the government or an academic institution which will certainly have powerful strings attached to it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:47 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Most haircut salons/barber shops have liability insurance.
But that liability insurance isn't going to cover hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses and if it did, it would cover for one time only, basically leaving the business uninsurable moving forward.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:51 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Random people.

What if 20% of those people were going to get a government funded raise during that year? What if 2% of those people don't even have or want jobs? What if 20% are already retired? What if only 10% of them stand to lose their business?

I just want to know if we can all go home if someone dies prior to the vote.
The 600 to 1 ratio isn't hypothetical. It is this the actual ratio of those who have lost their job in the last 8 weeks compared to those that have died and it is growing daily....
[Reply]
TLO 10:51 AM 04-22-2020
:-)

Originally Posted by :
While hackers are skilled, Potter said some institutions like the WHO could do a better job at cybersecurity.

"Their password security is appalling, he said. "Forty-eight people have 'password' as their password," he said. Others used their first names.

[Reply]
shitgoose 10:52 AM 04-22-2020
First off, I don't think there's a salon owner that would even take that risk because even if their insurance would cover a lawsuit for a COVID-19 hospitalization or death, it would likely only cover it once.

And who in their right mind would take that kind of risk?
It's the fact that NOW we are so serious about preventing the spread of infectious disease to the point of suing businesses that people voluntarily visit for "non-essential" services. It's bullshit. If you don't want to contract Covid-19 stay home. If a person leaves there home they have now assumed the risk.

End rant.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:52 AM 04-22-2020
But that liability insurance isn't going to cover hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses and if it did, it would cover for one time only, basically leaving the business uninsurable moving forward.
I'd be surprised if any liability suit would be successful unless a business is being truly negligent. As long as they're adhering to their state and local guidelines, there's not much someone can fault them for.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:53 AM 04-22-2020
It's the fact that NOW we are so serious about preventing the spread of infectious disease to the point of suing businesses that people voluntarily visit for "non-essential" services. It's bullshit. If you don't want to contract Covid-19 stay home. If a person leaves there home they have now assumed the risk.

End rant.
:-):-)
[Reply]
Mecca 10:54 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
:-)
It's like the code an idiot would have on their luggage.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:55 AM 04-22-2020

End rant.
I get that, the general problem though is what if that person is careless and spreads it?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:55 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'd be surprised if any liability suit would be successful unless a business is being truly negligent. As long as they're adhering to their state and local guidelines, there's not much someone can fault them for.
In the end if I can sue you for getting Covid-19 I can sue you for getting the flu a cold, etc., etc. Aside from a worker knowingly having been infected and deliberately coughing on customers you have a hard time suing anyone.
[Reply]
Page 1580 of 3903
« First < 580108014801530157015761577157815791580 158115821583158415901630168020802580 > Last »
Up