ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1532 of 3903
« First < 532103214321482152215281529153015311532 153315341535153615421582163220322532 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:36 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, some things will change. But 1-2 years? I don't see that.

Where some are pushing for a vaccine, you really don't know at this point that one is even possible. If it takes that long (with no mutation of the virus) we'll be at herd immunity before theres a vaccine anyway.
I am not a Anti-Vax guy by any means. But something about taking a vaccine from a guy who gives Ted Talks about reducing the Earth population seems sketchy AF XD
[Reply]
O.city 09:37 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
We can hope. But most projections I've seen say that you need 50%-80% infection rates to get there. That's not gonna happen in the next 1-2 years unless we completely give up on all the social distancing measures.

Obviously if the infection rates are hundreds of times higher than we think, that changes things, but that still seems like wishful thinking to me.
If the IFR is 100 times higher than we think, we're potentially at or close to 100 million infections (active, recovered or deceased) at this point after what, 2 1/2 months?
[Reply]
O.city 09:37 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I am not a Anti-Vax guy by any means. But something about taking a vaccine from a guy who gives Ted Talks about reducing the Earth population seems sketchy AF XD
You think he's the guy actually developing said vaccine? He's controlling the Oxford group or any of these working on it?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:37 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
The answer to the virus is to hide and wait, the answer to fixing the economy is just to wait.

:-)
Oh yeah man. Everyone knows $1 today is worth at least that much a year from now.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:38 AM 04-20-2020
If the IFR is 100 times higher than we think, we're potentially at or close to 100 million infections (active, recovered or deceased) at this point after what, 2 1/2 months?
That would put the CFR at .04% BTW.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:38 AM 04-20-2020
Sure. It just doesn't pass the sniff test. I know you're big on that theory, but it doesn't make much sense that we're seeing such dramatically different death rates in different areas of the country if a majority of people are already infected.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:39 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Laughably stupid take.
That's fine if that's how you feel.

I trust Bill Gates on this subject and he's been pretty consistent with what he has said

As for the economy, Gates said some industries will likely be able to come back by the end of May – such as manufacturing and construction. But until a coronavirus vaccine is available, it may take longer for crowd-based businesses, such as pro sports or air travel, to fully return because of lingering potential health risks.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-g...fix-us-economy
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:39 AM 04-20-2020
You think he's the guy actually developing said vaccine? He's controlling the Oxford group or any of these working on it?
lmao no,

But the guy funding the vaccine research giving talks about reducing earths population 30-40%... Yeah, I watched I AM LEGEND...:-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:40 AM 04-20-2020
Some of the specific logistical challenges blow my mind. The amount of extra work that will go into reconfiguring businesses for social distancing rules, all while taking in less revenue is overwhelming to think about.
[Reply]
Bwana 09:41 AM 04-20-2020
I had one of my dogs come up lame right after their run on Saturday and assumed he twisted something. After looking closer, he had either gotten a object stuck in there at some point, or somehow got a cut, but it was infected and very swollen. I called the vet and was told "we are not seeing pets until further notice, not until the Rona subsides."

I told her I had been draining it and cleaning it, (all kinds of nasty came out of there) but wanted an antibiotic as a preventive measure. Her reply "We have to see the dog in order to do that." I was like WTF? She has seen the dog over a dozen times and just told me they were not seeing animals.

At one point, I did all my own medical stuff for my dogs and horses as far as wounds and shots, so that's what I'm doing. It's not my first rodeo with something like this. It turns out dogs are also prescribed azithromycin, so I just had to adjust the dose for his weight.

If I didn't have that on hand, I would have just headed down to the local ag store, Western Ranch Supply in this case and picked up a bottle of penicillin and some syringes. The wound is starting to look a lot better, I just have to continue to clean it on a regular basis and keep a close eye on it.

The only other option I had was to take him in to another vet that is taking emergency calls only. I did that once and the bill was $1700 for some basic stuff, no thanks. Nothing like using a sledge hammer to kill an ant.

I feel sorry for people who find themselves in the same situation, without any background in animal care, they are going to be in for major jolt to the wallet.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:44 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
many restaurants will be able to bounce back from this it's just going to take time...
I am sure that is very comforting advice for all of the small restaurant owners who are going to have to find a way to cover immediate/short-term fixed costs while the draconian shutdown orders continue.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:46 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I had one of my dogs come up lame right after their run on Saturday and assumed he twisted something. After looking closer, he had either gotten a object stuck in there at some point, or somehow got a cut, but it was infected and very swollen. I called the vet and was told "we are not seeing pets until further notice, not until the Rona subsides."

I told her I had been draining it and cleaning it, (all kinds of nasty came out of there) but wanted an antibiotic as a preventive measure. Her reply "We have to see the dog in order to do that." I was like WTF? She has seen the dog over a dozen times and just told me they were not seeing animals.

At one point, I did all my own medical stuff for my dogs and horses as far as wounds and shots, so that's what I'm doing. It's not my first rodeo with something like this. It turns out dogs are also prescribed azithromycin, so I just had to adjust the dose for his weight.

If I didn't have that on hand, I would have just headed down to the local ag store, Western Ranch Supply in this case and picked up a bottle of penicillin and some syringes. The wound is starting to look a lot better, I just have to continue to clean it on a regular basis and keep a close eye on it.

The only other option I had was to take him in to another vet that is taking emergency calls only. I did that once and the bill was $1700 for some basic stuff, no thanks. Nothing like using a sledge hammer to kill an ant.

I feel sorry for people who find themselves in the same situation, without any background in animal care, they are going to be in for major jolt to the wallet.
That seems a bit shitty to me. My sister-in-law works for a vet in Colorado, and they're still open. They've changed how they operate a bit (owners stay outside for example), but vets are pretty critical services IMO.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:49 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
I am sure that is very comforting advice for all of the small restaurant owners who are going to have to find a way to cover immediate/short-term fixed costs while the draconian shutdown orders continue.
I'm not giving advice to restaurant owners. Don't take that post the wrong way. I was merely pointing out that until a vaccine comes out there's not much that can be done for restaurants but once it does come out they should be able to bounce back based on everything I have read from economic experts.

Obviously there's a ton of variables here but I'm sure Trump and his economic team are thinking about how to help small business owners in all industries right now. It's an unfortunate situation of course but what can you do... Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sure. It just doesn't pass the sniff test. I know you're big on that theory, but it doesn't make much sense that we're seeing such dramatically different death rates in different areas of the country if a majority of people are already infected.
I've been reading some of the serology test stuff coming out, it definitely gives some insight.

I've seen it being discussed as an "iceberg" type situation. There's just so many asymptomatic and mild infections and the only ones we know are the awful infections.

I'm not sure
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I'm not giving advice to restaurant owners. Don't take that post the wrong way. I was merely pointing out that until a vaccine comes out there's not much that can be done for restaurants but once it does come out they should be able to bounce back based on everything I have read from economic experts.

Obviously there's a ton of variables here but I'm sure Trump and his economic team are thinking about how to help small business owners in all industries right now. It's an unfortunate situation of course but what can you do... Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches
If you're waiting for a vaccine, there won't be any restaurant or small business owners left.
[Reply]
Page 1532 of 3903
« First < 532103214321482152215281529153015311532 153315341535153615421582163220322532 > Last »
Up