ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Need recommendations on Fish
Chief Roundup 11:35 AM 09-19-2020
So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:37 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Willie Lanier:
Is amazing
Fuck yes it is.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:50 PM 09-19-2020
Go with cod. Just do a lemon pepper seasoning and you are good to go. It doesn’t have a fishy taste at all and is a bit more of a meaty texture. That’s why it’s the preferred fish of a fish and chips dinner. Relatively low cost as well and readily available.

Also, just grill your fish. It helps with removing that fishy taste. Just make sure if it doesn’t have skin then you likely want to use foil or else it tends to fall apart easily.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:52 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Perhaps start out with something like tilapia? Very mild taste.
yes for sure.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 02:52 PM 09-19-2020
Just got back from the store. The selection was bad. Salmon, Honey smoked Salmon with the skin or Tilapia.
So I got the Tilapia. Living in a small town has its disadvantages.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:55 PM 09-19-2020
& once everything is leveled out - it's PARTY TIME!!!!!!

[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:56 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Just got back from the store. The selection was bad. Salmon, Honey smoked Salmon with the skin or Tilapia.
So I got the Tilapia. Living in a small town has its disadvantages.

I’m guessing you won’t like the tilapia. It has a distinct taste, even though it’s not a typical fishy taste.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 03:04 PM 09-19-2020
I wish I had the opportunity for truly fresh fish.
A decade ago I was in Destin, FL and I was amazed at the market we went to where they were dumping the fish out of the boats separating and preparing them. Boat to the counter 15 minutes or less. Now that is fresh.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 03:05 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I’m guessing you won’t like the tilapia. It has a distinct taste, even though it’s not a typical fishy taste.
I don't know. I am not going to make it tonight but I will let you all know. I have to start somewhere and I am thinking it was the best option I had at this moment.
[Reply]
loochy 03:07 PM 09-19-2020
Try Mahi Mahi. It has pretty much no fishy taste at all.
[Reply]
booger 03:10 PM 09-19-2020
Don’t know if it lowers my cholesterol but I sure do have lots of fun spitting on, slapping, and talking dirty to the fish before I eat it
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 03:12 PM 09-19-2020
My go to fish
Wild Pacific Salmon- Smoked on a cedar shingle or a piece of alder
Halibut- Smoked or broiled
Orange Roughy broiled
Tuna steaks seared
Freshwater my topper is Walleye if cooked correctly
I forgot Rainbow Trout. That is the bomb as well

I don't eat shell fish anymore. Back in the day I used to gorge at the Lobster Pot in Union Station. Good times
[Reply]
frozenchief 03:21 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I wish I had the opportunity for truly fresh fish.
A decade ago I was in Destin, FL and I was amazed at the market we went to where they were dumping the fish out of the boats separating and preparing them. Boat to the counter 15 minutes or less. Now that is fresh.
One year on a float down the GoodNews river, we were catching silver (coho) salmon. They were bright and shiny and still had sea lice (small external parasites that cannot live in fresh water so its presence means the fish just came into fresh water). We had brought lots of wine and twice baked potatoes. We were catching fish that had just started their run up the river so they were still really good, i.e., not starting to turn. From the time we landed them until they time they were buttered and seasoned and cooked was less than 10 minutes. Best salmon I ever had. Probably helped that the weather was perfect and we had a great fishing trip and there was a bear on a hill on the other side of the river that we were watching. Great memory. Once in a lifetime experience.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:21 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Tilapia has a mild flavor, but the flesh tends to be a little coarser grained. Though if you don't have any experience with fish you may not notice.

Basically you're looking for a coldwater white fish, like cod, lingcod, halibut, flounder, etc. Mahi Mahi and swordfish are good choices if you have that option.

For freshwater fish, if you could find walleye that might be your best overall choice. Striper or white bass/white bass hybrids also might work well for you.

These 'white' fish all have little flavor on their own; they're kind of like mushrooms or white meat chicken, meaning they take on the flavor of the seasonings that you put on them.

To remove most/all of the fishy flavor and smell, squeezing a little lemon over it just before serving usually does the trick.

The easiest or most trouble-free way to cook fish is by baking, either in foil or parchment paper.

One trick to remove most of the fishy smell while cooking is to add a couple tablespoons of white wine to the fish before putting in the oven.
Thread over. Good job Mr. Megatron.

By the way, if you just don't like fish then most likely you're......

A DUMBASS!
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 03:22 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Try Mahi Mahi. It has pretty much no fishy taste at all.
So since this is about the Omega 3 oil that are good for the LDL and heart I did a quick search. It appears that there are certain fish that have a lot higher levels of the Omega 3 than others.
Salmon - 4123 mg per serving
Mackerel - 4107 mg per serving
Cod - 2682 mg per serving
Sardines - 2205 mg per serving
Caviar - 1086 mg per serving
Herring - 976 mg per serving
Oysters - 370 mg per serving

Tilapia - 100 mg per serving
Tuna steak - 240 mg per serving
Tuna canned - 80 mg per serving
[Reply]
frozenchief 03:25 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
My go to fish
Wild Pacific Salmon- Smoked on a cedar shingle or a piece of alder
Halibut- Smoked or broiled
Orange Roughy broiled
Tuna steaks seared
Freshwater my topper is Walleye if cooked correctly
I forgot Rainbow Trout. That is the bomb as well

I don't eat shell fish anymore. Back in the day I used to gorge at the Lobster Pot in Union Station. Good times
I remember the Lobster Pot from many years ago.

And you make a good point about wild salmon as opposed to fresh salmon. Taste and texture are different. Farmed salmon gets its color from dye pellets fed to the fish. It also has a softer texture. Wild salmon has more of a fiery orange color without the white fatty stripes. And if you get wild salmon, you can also get roe. Soak salmon roe (eggs) in a really salty brine over night. Drain. Mix soy sauce, garlic, and wasabi and then pour over the roe and its delicious, especially with a champagne that has some good mineral flavors. The mineral flavors counter-balance the fat and are a great combination.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up