ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Need recommendations on Fish
Chief Roundup 11:35 AM 09-19-2020
So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:23 PM 09-19-2020
Swordfish
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:29 PM 09-19-2020
Wife gifted me a Sitka Salmon share for my birthday this year and I love it. It's a fisherman coop out of the PNW. They catch the fish, process it, flash freeze it and delivery it to your door every month. It's not always salmon either. Its whatever is in season. We've received cod, halibut, rockfish, etc. Comes with a bunch of recipes and cooking tips.

https://sitkasalmonshares.com/
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:31 PM 09-19-2020
Fish can eat a bag of dicks in the Nope to the nopity nope nope thread.
[Reply]
JD10367 01:35 PM 09-19-2020
Fish is not actually supposed to smell "fishy". If it's really good fresh fish from a seafood market then it shouldn't smell so much.

Salmon is a very specific taste. Try some smoked salmon from the supermarket (that stuff is okay to get in a package). I have it in a salad, just lettuce, tomato, salmon, cubed cheese, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. (I buy flavored balsamic vinegars to change the overall taste.) If you can stomach smoked salmon, it's a nice easy way to get your fish dose, and it's relatively cheap (a 3-oz. package in the supermarket is around $5-7).

Any meaty "whitefish" is pretty easy to cook. Whether you fry it, bake it, or even boil it, if it goes from translucent to white then it's good to go. Haddock and cod are pretty close but some people think haddock is "fishier".

Tuna is an interesting fish. When you have a tuna steak it tastes much different from the canned stuff. A tuna steak is versatile because you can put blackening spices on it, or even just pour some BBQ sauce or something on it when it's cooked. Most people like their tuna a little rare (or a lot rare), but I like mine looking pretty medium-well by steak standards (gray on the outside and around a centimeter into the fish, and maybe just a little pink in the center). I'd rather it be overcooked than be raw or fishy tasting.

I don't care for swordfish. I find it oily and fishy and it's actually a high mercury fish.

Scallops are good. They're also versatile. We just cook them up in some olive oil and tons of fresh garlic and a little butter, and pour it over pasta. Like whitefish, if the scallop is white and not translucent then it's cooked.

Halibut, trout, and catfish can be fishy if prepared wrong. I don't care for halibut. Trout is hard to find at a restaurant, and so is catfish. The Texas Roadhouse chain used to sell it but now they've switched to regular white fish; I think Cracker Barrel still has it.

Tilapia is actually a pretty tasty little fish but it's almost all farm-raised so be careful of where it came from. It's a nice flat fish so it's easy to cook and spice up.

Plain old "fish and chips" in a restaurant is going to depend on where you get it. Again, if they use a fresh fish, it should not taste fishy. If you try it in a restaurant and like it there, I suggest sticking to getting it at that restaurant. Surprisingly, the aforementioned Texas Roadhouse actually does a good job. And almost every restaurant has a salmon and, since it's usually one of the few fishes on the menu, they usually do a decent job with it. Fresh salmon used to have a bad reputation for having tiny bones in it but whatever modern methods they have for deboning seems to work well because I can't tell you the last time I got a salmon bone in a restaurant.
[Reply]
eDave 01:39 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Wife gifted me a Sitka Salmon share for my birthday this year and I love it. It's a fisherman coop out of the PNW. They catch the fish, process it, flash freeze it and delivery it to your door every month. It's not always salmon either. Its whatever is in season. We've received cod, halibut, rockfish, etc. Comes with a bunch of recipes and cooking tips.

https://sitkasalmonshares.com/
We got a guy that comes up from Puerto Penasco in a van with fresh fish, flash fried seafood every 3 days. Sits on the same corner dirt lot. People get there early to await his arrival. Great langostino lobsters which is commonly used in the restaurant trade to refer to the meat of the squat lobster, which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn. Squat lobsters are more closely related to porcelain and hermit crabs.

Long John Silvers and Red Lobster created some controversy for themselves when they tried to pass off langostino's as lobster.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:46 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Swordfish
Delicious.

[Reply]
KCUnited 01:52 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
We got a guy that comes up from Puerto Penasco in a van with fresh fish, flash fried seafood every 3 days. Sits on the same corner dirt lot. People get there early to await his arrival. Great langostino lobsters which is commonly used in the restaurant trade to refer to the meat of the squat lobster, which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn. Squat lobsters are more closely related to porcelain and hermit crabs.

Long John Silvers and Red Lobster created some controversy for themselves when they tried to pass off langostino's as lobster.
That's cool he makes that trip, I'd be all over that. My inlaws have a home in Rocky Point. This is the first year in the last decade we haven't made it down. Buying langostinos as big as your head right off the malecon is one of my favorite things down there. Boiled and splashed in garlic butter is hard to beat.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:53 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Crappie , flathead, bluecat
First post was a good one for freshwater fish.

If you enjoy fishing even a little bit or have a buddy that really loves you, then there's almost no better eating than fried crappie. Walleye and Spoonbill are both freaking delicious as well but those aren't as readily available.

Just something to keep in mind if you decide to go full bore on fish eating.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:54 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:
Fish is not actually supposed to smell "fishy". If it's really good fresh fish from a seafood market then it shouldn't smell so much.

Salmon is a very specific taste. Try some smoked salmon from the supermarket (that stuff is okay to get in a package). I have it in a salad, just lettuce, tomato, salmon, cubed cheese, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. (I buy flavored balsamic vinegars to change the overall taste.) If you can stomach smoked salmon, it's a nice easy way to get your fish dose, and it's relatively cheap (a 3-oz. package in the supermarket is around $5-7).

Any meaty "whitefish" is pretty easy to cook. Whether you fry it, bake it, or even boil it, if it goes from translucent to white then it's good to go. Haddock and cod are pretty close but some people think haddock is "fishier".

Tuna is an interesting fish. When you have a tuna steak it tastes much different from the canned stuff. A tuna steak is versatile because you can put blackening spices on it, or even just pour some BBQ sauce or something on it when it's cooked. Most people like their tuna a little rare (or a lot rare), but I like mine looking pretty medium-well by steak standards (gray on the outside and around a centimeter into the fish, and maybe just a little pink in the center). I'd rather it be overcooked than be raw or fishy tasting.

I don't care for swordfish. I find it oily and fishy and it's actually a high mercury fish.

Scallops are good. They're also versatile. We just cook them up in some olive oil and tons of fresh garlic and a little butter, and pour it over pasta. Like whitefish, if the scallop is white and not translucent then it's cooked.

Halibut, trout, and catfish can be fishy if prepared wrong. I don't care for halibut. Trout is hard to find at a restaurant, and so is catfish. The Texas Roadhouse chain used to sell it but now they've switched to regular white fish; I think Cracker Barrel still has it.

Tilapia is actually a pretty tasty little fish but it's almost all farm-raised so be careful of where it came from. It's a nice flat fish so it's easy to cook and spice up.

Plain old "fish and chips" in a restaurant is going to depend on where you get it. Again, if they use a fresh fish, it should not taste fishy. If you try it in a restaurant and like it there, I suggest sticking to getting it at that restaurant. Surprisingly, the aforementioned Texas Roadhouse actually does a good job. And almost every restaurant has a salmon and, since it's usually one of the few fishes on the menu, they usually do a decent job with it. Fresh salmon used to have a bad reputation for having tiny bones in it but whatever modern methods they have for deboning seems to work well because I can't tell you the last time I got a salmon bone in a restaurant.
I don't think you've got Culver's in the NE, but for a fast food fish sandwich they can't be beat.
[Reply]
scho63 01:55 PM 09-19-2020
If you need to stay away from "fishy fish" like I do, here is a list:

GOOD
-------
Tuna
Octopus
Bay Scallops
Grouper
Red Snapper
Trout
Cod
Tilpaia
Lobster
Shrimp
Clams cooked
Oysters
Swordfish

BAD
------
Bluefish
Salmon
Crab
Mussels
Mako
Flounder

You basically need to avoid "oily" content fish. The higher the oil content, while good for you like Salmon, the "fishier" and "stronger" the taste.

Another BIG thing is that once it goes past a certain fresh date, it will taste fishy.

Sushi grade raw tuna is fantastic with soy, wasabi and ginger.

Steamed red snapper with lemongrass, garlic, ginger, ponzu and rice wine vinegar is incredible.

Grilled octopus with fresh lemon, extra virgin olive oil and lentils is great.

Fresh ceviche cooked in lime juice with shrimp, tilapia and scallops on top of red onion, arugala, cherry tomatoes and some grilled bread can't be beat.

Fresh swordfish lightly grilled on your outdoor BBQ with lemon, butter and fresh herbs is great as well.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 01:56 PM 09-19-2020
So many missed opportunities for crude humor.

Sad.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 02:20 PM 09-19-2020
Chilean Sea Bass
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 02:20 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Swordfish
Is amazing
[Reply]
Donger 02:25 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Delicious.

Bet it smells fishy...
[Reply]
JD10367 02:36 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Bet it smells fishy...
Same rules. If it smells fishy, it isn’t fresh, don’t eat it or you might get sick.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up