ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Need recommendations on Fish
Chief Roundup 11:35 AM 09-19-2020
So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
[Reply]
Pointer19 11:49 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I have never tried salmon or tilapia.
Like I said my experience with fish is very limited.
Bagel and Lox (salmon) is a really tasty breakfast with cream cheese and capers that doesn’t seem fishy at all in my opinion.
[Reply]
Donger 11:51 AM 09-19-2020
It seems to be pretty fishy smelling.
Well, it IS a fish. But it one of the most mild-flavored fish, and depending on how you cook it, it's minimal.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:52 AM 09-19-2020
What is better Slap ya mama, Tony Chachara or Louisiana?
I like the low salt Tony if I'm buying it. I've got in the habit of making my own because I use it a lot. They're all sodium bombs though so if you're trying to watch that then get those versions.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:54 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, it IS a fish. But it one of the most mild-flavored fish, and depending on how you cook it, it's minimal.
Is it wrong to figure I should be baking the fish that I get and cook?
Should I do it like a pork steak or chop, sear it in a skillet with some oil and then bake or???
[Reply]
Donger 11:54 AM 09-19-2020
I wonder how many people say, "tuna fish" versus "tuna." I bet it's a sizable majority.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:55 AM 09-19-2020
Tilapia has a mild flavor, but the flesh tends to be a little coarser grained. Though if you don't have any experience with fish you may not notice.

Basically you're looking for a coldwater white fish, like cod, lingcod, halibut, flounder, etc. Mahi Mahi and swordfish are good choices if you have that option.

For freshwater fish, if you could find walleye that might be your best overall choice. Striper or white bass/white bass hybrids also might work well for you.

These 'white' fish all have little flavor on their own; they're kind of like mushrooms or white meat chicken, meaning they take on the flavor of the seasonings that you put on them.

To remove most/all of the fishy flavor and smell, squeezing a little lemon over it just before serving usually does the trick.

The easiest or most trouble-free way to cook fish is by baking, either in foil or parchment paper.

One trick to remove most of the fishy smell while cooking is to add a couple tablespoons of white wine to the fish before putting in the oven.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:55 AM 09-19-2020
Rate these options for me please
Cod
Halibut
Salmon
Tuna
Tilapia
[Reply]
Donger 11:56 AM 09-19-2020
Is it wrong to figure I should be baking the fish that I get and cook?
Should I do it like a pork steak or chop, sear it in a skillet with some oil and then bake or???
I'd bake it the first time. I like this one:

https://kristineskitchenblog.com/baked-tilapia/
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:58 AM 09-19-2020
I wonder how many people say, "tuna fish" versus "tuna." I bet it's a sizable majority.
For me Tuna fish is only a sandwich like Egg Salad or Chicken salad.
Why are some called Steaks or patties instead of fillets? I am assuming it is the size of the fish that they were harvested from.
[Reply]
Donger 11:59 AM 09-19-2020
Cod
Halibut
Salmon
Tuna
Tilapia
Halibut is my favorite by far. Salmon at the bottom, unless it's cedar plank. Swordfish or shark is like a fish steak.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:59 AM 09-19-2020
Cod
Halibut
Salmon
Tuna
Tilapia
I'd put salmon and tuna steaks at the bottom for your purposes. The other three I'd rank tilapia last but it's gonna be easy to find and cheap. If you can find a good deal on halibut pull the trigger. Cod is non offensive. Those are about the same to me.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:00 PM 09-19-2020
Well, it IS a fish Dumbass.
I can just hear Milkman/Red Foreman..... :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:02 PM 09-19-2020
Cod
Halibut
Salmon
Tuna
Tilapia
Assuming you mean by 'fishiness' scale:

Tilapia
Cod
Tuna or Halibut
Salmon

In terms of flavor and texture:

Halibut
Cod
Tilapia
Salmon
Tuna-this fish is so lean it tends to get dry during cooking very quickly, so for me I usually just sear, so the middle is rare, which may not be your thing. Cooked-through tuna is not something I've eaten in several decades.
[Reply]
Donger 12:03 PM 09-19-2020
For me Tuna fish is only a sandwich like Egg Salad or Chicken salad.
Why are some called Steaks or patties instead of fillets? I am assuming it is the size of the fish that they were harvested from.
I just find it funny. No one says, "I'm going to have a trout fish sandwich" or "I made this delicious tilapia fish soup."
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:06 PM 09-19-2020
I just find it funny. No one says, "I'm going to have a trout fish sandwich" or "I made this delicious tilapia fish soup."
Is there any other fish that people turn into a sandwich?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up