ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 66 of 202
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116166 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:34 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That makes no sense. He's not just going to come into the game and hit the ground running. He needs time to work back into it.
Lucas is playing well. Sorensen can get healthy and provide us some nice snaps in a box safety role.

Mizzou fans remember this scenario all too well from last season's basketball team. Michael Porter was the 'will he/won't he' question of the entire season. And then when it seemed obvious that he just wasn't coming back....he did. And he was rusty and ineffective. Meanwhile, when the rumblings started that he MIGHT come back, it impacted the guys that had been playing all season and they didn't look as good either.

The best basketball that team played all season was when everyone was 'certain' that Michael Porter Jr. wasn't going to return. They accepted it, adapted to it and did their jobs. And then when he came back, he clearly wasn't ready and he shot them right out of a couple of games (that SEC tourney game was especially awful). His teammates were deferential and tentative - it just threw everything out of whack.

You can't have him coming in without at least 6 weeks to get himself up to speed and get the players adjusted to playing around him, IMO. And if he can't do that, well....

Finality would be a pretty nice thing here. You'd love to see him come back and be 'Vintage Berry' but i just can't see that being realistic if this is evidently an issue that isn't going to truly heal, but rather you're just hoping it calms down to the point he can play on it for awhile.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:41 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Lucas is playing well. Sorensen can get healthy and provide us some nice snaps in a box safety role.

Mizzou fans remember this scenario all too well from last season's basketball team. Michael Porter was the 'will he/won't he' question of the entire season. And then when it seemed obvious that he just wasn't coming back....he did. And he was rusty and ineffective. Meanwhile, when the rumblings started that he MIGHT come back, it impacted the guys that had been playing all season and they didn't look as good either.

The best basketball that team played all season was when everyone was 'certain' that Michael Porter Jr. wasn't going to return. They accepted it, adapted to it and did their jobs. And then when he came back, he clearly wasn't ready and he shot them right out of a couple of games (that SEC tourney game was especially awful). His teammates were deferential and tentative - it just threw everything out of whack.

You can't have him coming in without at least 6 weeks to get himself up to speed and get the players adjusted to playing around him, IMO. And if he can't do that, well....

Finality would be a pretty nice thing here. You'd love to see him come back and be 'Vintage Berry' but i just can't see that being realistic if this is evidently an issue that isn't going to truly heal, but rather you're just hoping it calms down to the point he can play on it for awhile.
This is why the "save him for the playoffs" doesn't jive with me. If Berry can't return by Week 12 at the earliest, it's hard to imagine that he's going to have much of an impact in the postseason.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:41 AM 10-22-2018
Get him a ring....and then cut him in the offseason.
[Reply]
O.city 09:42 AM 10-22-2018
Yeah, football is just different than baseball or even basketball in regards to this. You've gotta play to get in shape and see the game.

Look how many guys who skip camp end up hurt.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 09:45 AM 10-22-2018
Lol what are you gonna do? Cut him? Gimmie a break. He's gonna come back when he's ready and he's gonna beast. The rest of the defense can put on their big boy pants and deal with it.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:45 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
i got some bad news tonight :-)

and ?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:46 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
Lol what are you gonna do? Cut him? Gimmie a break. He's gonna come back when he's ready and he's gonna beast. The rest of the defense can put on their big boy pants and deal with it.
He's not going to just come back and "beast".
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:47 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
This is why the "save him for the playoffs" doesn't jive with me. If Berry can't return by Week 12 at the earliest, it's hard to imagine that he's going to have much of an impact in the postseason.
It just depends on how much of what has been reported you can actually trust.

I mean give this the reading that is absolutely the most complimentary to Eric Berry - this is a deformity that causes debilitating pain when he tries to do football activities. And it's one that can calm down with rest and rehab. To 'repair' it would've required likely season-ending surgery so the best they can do is pain management.

Okay - but that reading means that he's essentially on a pitch count. Because the implication is clear that football activities inflame the area or aggravate it.

So by giving him reps to get him up to speed, you're just doing things that start building that inflammation and irritation back up.

Giving Berry every benefit of the doubt still leaves you walking a knife's edge, does it not? You can't just roll the guy out there in week 15 with as many bullets left in the gun as possible; that won't work. There are too many unknowns and defense requires too much cohesion. Meanwhile, if you send him out there in week 12 to get up to speed, there's a chance by week 17 he's back to being in debilitating pain and the defense has to RE-re-adjust back to life without him.

It's just a goddamn mess of a situation. Like I said - if/when Sorensen returns, if he can give you quality snaps in a Berry-esque roll alongside Lucas, the Chiefs may just be better served calling it a day here...
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 09:48 AM 10-22-2018
He's not going to just come back and "beast".
Are you saying he's gonna suck?
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It just depends on how much of what has been reported you can actually trust.

I mean give this the reading that is absolutely the most complimentary to Eric Berry - this is a deformity that causes debilitating pain when he tries to do football activities. And it's one that can calm down with rest and rehab. To 'repair' it would've required likely season-ending surgery so the best they can do is pain management.

Okay - but that reading means that he's essentially on a pitch count. Because the implication is clear that football activities inflame the area or aggravate it.

So by giving him reps to get him up to speed, you're just doing things that start building that inflammation and irritation back up.

Giving Berry every benefit of the doubt still leaves you walking a knife's edge, does it not? You can't just roll the guy out there in week 15 with as many bullets left in the gun as possible; that won't work. There are too many unknowns and defense requires too much cohesion. Meanwhile, if you send him out there in week 12 to get up to speed, there's a chance by week 17 he's back to being in debilitating pain and the defense has to RE-re-adjust back to life without him.

It's just a goddamn mess of a situation. Like I said - if/when Sorensen returns, if he can give you quality snaps in a Berry-esque roll alongside Lucas, the Chiefs may just be better served calling it a day here...
Maybe, but if that's the case, why wouldn't they just do the damn surgery and be done with it?

I know players don't wanna go under the knife, especially this player I'd imagine, but this is just a damn weird situation.

I'm starting to think maybe he actually did have surgery a while back and they're just being coy about it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:03 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Maybe, but if that's the case, why wouldn't they just do the damn surgery and be done with it?

I know players don't wanna go under the knife, especially this player I'd imagine, but this is just a damn weird situation.

I'm starting to think maybe he actually did have surgery a while back and they're just being coy about it.
Because they can't make him have it. And because I'm damn sure he doesn't want ANOTHER achilles surgery (he'd have to be worried that would be a career for him).

I again - making all inferences in his favor - he probably didn't believe it would hurt this bad for this long. Maybe he figured this would just be some soreness that would go away and now he's pot committed.

There's nothing ideal about this. It's gone pretty much as poorly as it could possibly have gone.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:31 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
Are you saying he's gonna suck?
I'm saying that after being out for over a year, he's going to have to adjust to the pace and pounding of football again. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 10:37 AM 10-22-2018
I'm saying that after being out for over a year, he's going to have to adjust to the pace and pounding of football again. :-)
Have him practice 2 weeks then bring him back to play around Thanksgiving. Ease his snaps from 10 game, to 15 game two to 25 game three etc.

Have him do that and play 5 or so games and he’ll be in game shape.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:48 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Have him practice 2 weeks then bring him back to play around Thanksgiving. Ease his snaps from 10 game, to 15 game two to 25 game three etc.

Have him do that and play 5 or so games and he’ll be in game shape.
Nothing wrong with that. But you're talking about nearly 6 weeks of play before the playoffs.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 03:29 PM 10-22-2018
Hey smaqe I hear what you're saying. And I don't know what the effects of his heel are gonna be on his in game play, but I think Berry is a special talent. It'll take him a game or two to get him up to speed no doubt. But I want him as close to 100% for the playoffs as possible and if that means he skips most if not 90% of the regular season so be it.

This team is ready to make a deep run and Berry can be integral in that.
[Reply]
Page 66 of 202
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116166 > Last »
Up