ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Justin Houston: “I want to attack the weakest link”
T-post Tom 09:50 AM 05-25-2018
The reincarnation of "The Falcon"?

We’ve become accustomed to watching Justin Houston at the left outside linebacker position since the Kansas City Chiefs selected him with the No. 70 overall pick in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Over that time period from then to now, Houston has recorded 69.5 sacks, a total good for No. 4 in Chiefs franchise history.

But just because that is what we’re used to seeing doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll see it in 2018.

“I want to be able to attack the weakest link,” Houston said when I asked him about playing on the other side. “Every team is different. Everybody’s left tackle isn’t All-Pro and everybody’s right tackle isn’t All-Pro. Wherever the weakest link, whether it is the guard, center or even tackles, I want to be on the weakest link.”

That makes a lot of sense, given the fact that Houston is undoubtedly the Chiefs’ best outside linebacker.

A mixup may also be worth considering since the best stretch of Dee Ford’s career came in 2016, when he replaced Houston on the left side for the first nine games of the season.

During that stretch, Ford recorded 10.0 sacks. Once Ford switched back to the right side upon Houston’s return, he didn’t record a sack for the rest of the year.

There is an argument to be made that if Houston could prove to be just as effective wherever he is on the field, maybe it makes sense to put Ford in a position in which he has been far more successful.

The contract year for Ford adds even more incentive for him to rebound.

No matter the alignment, both players stand to benefit thanks to a small tweak to the Chiefs coaching staff this offseason.

As part of their yearly promotions, the Chiefs split the linebacker coaching positions after the departure of Gary Gibbs. Mark DeLeone was promoted to inside linebackers coach, while Mike Smith was promoted to outside linebackers coach.

“I think it is great just to have an outside linebackers coach,” Houston added. “There’s so much we get to do now just focusing on ourselves and the little things we need to work on. I think last year, we had a lot going on. You have to coach a lot of guys inside and out. It is hard to do that in the little bit of time you have. Now you have a separate coach, we can just focus on one thing, that’s us.”

All things to ponder as the Chiefs strive to finally have two effective outside linebackers on the field at the same time.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/5/25/17393800/justin-houston-i-want-to-attack-the-weakest-link
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:50 PM 05-25-2018
This thread went downhill fast.

I think all the talk about the defense being terrible is way off the mark. Obviously, they knew things had to change and have brought in a lot of talent. Veech had a specific role in mind for the guys they brought in. Veech and Andy are building a Powerhouse on both sides of the ball.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:53 PM 05-25-2018
And the end of all this some of this may be that Houston knows this is basically contract year for him. He'll either he back with a newly done contract or released after this year. His desire to be moved around to better his numbers could easily be attached to that.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 01:53 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
He should rushing the passer AT LEAST 85% of the time and probably more like 90%. I hope they finally make the adjustment.
On 3rd downs primarily. Way too many coverage snaps for Houston on 3rd down.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 01:54 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Mecca:
And the end of all this some of this may be that Houston knows this is basically contract year for him. He'll either he back with a newly done contract or released after this year. His desire to be moved around to better his numbers could easily be attached to that.
If bettering his numbers means he's used correctly and effective for the sake of the Chiefs, that's all that matters.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:56 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Houston should retire a Chief.

Make it happen Veech!!
[Reply]
Mecca 01:58 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
If bettering his numbers means he's used correctly and effective for the sake of the Chiefs, that's all that matters.
Well yea, if he goes out and throws up 17 sacks or something he'll be back no matter what.
[Reply]
gonefishin53 03:18 PM 05-25-2018
With the projected Chief's secondary as underwhelming as it is, I expect opponents will line up with at least 3 WRs in a spread offense on every down. Pass rush will be critical until the Chief's secondary proves themselves and Houston will be critical to the Chief's pass rush. I hope to see Houston attacking the backfield every down and I don't care where it's from.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 03:24 PM 05-25-2018
Thank you again CP.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:36 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
Not earning his money. Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said Houston sucks.

EVERY team has guys who don't earn their money. Even the fucking Patriots.

You need good players to win games. Good players cost money. Sometimes that amount is more than people think they're worth. Get over it.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 04:39 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
EVERY team has guys who don't earn their money. Even the fucking Patriots.

You need good players to win games. Good players cost money. Sometimes that amount is more than people think they're worth. Get over it.
I have been “ getting over it” since 1970. When is enough enough?
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 04:40 PM 05-25-2018
Yet again, Thank you CP.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:54 PM 05-25-2018
I have been “ getting over it” since 1970. When is enough enough?
We haven't had a real QB since 1970. We do now.

Maybe since we finally ****ing have one, you should see how that plan works out instead of bitching about something that EVERY goddamn Super Bowl-winning team has on their roster (an overpaid but not-yet washed up good player at a position of high value)
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 04:58 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
We haven't had a real QB since 1970. We do now.

Maybe since we finally ****ing have one, you should see how that plan works out instead of bitching about something that EVERY goddamn Super Bowl-winning team has on their roster (an overpaid but not-yet washed up good player at a position of high value)
PMII will be a bust. Worse than Croyle.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:01 PM 05-25-2018
If you truly believe that, then what does it fucking matter if Justin Houston gets paid $20 million per year or $20 per year? We're not winning jack fucking shit if we don't have a fucking QB.
[Reply]
NWTF 05:04 PM 05-25-2018
Really?

I understand staying cautiously optimistic in year one, but bust. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up