ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 57
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:33 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I do have some pictures from early last week. I have one cherry tomato plant that produces literally thousands of cherry tomatoes in a year here. It's ****ing massive. 6 feet tall and close to that wide. It just produces and produces and never stops until about late June. Plan is to keep it alive through the summer and it will continue producing again come September and all through fall and early winter. Others have told me you can keep a single cherry tomato plant alive for years here and it will continue producing.

And the early girl tomato produces very well too. Lots of great shaped tomatoes with great color to them.

That's a 3 year old grapevine that I grew along the pool fence. First year it's been loaded with grapes.
You aren't by chance 007's neighbor?
[Reply]
srvy 08:35 PM 05-24-2018
I just covered them a few days ago.

I was given the idea to use wine gift bags or mess drawstring bags. I grabbed these off Amazon and they work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ha good idea.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:40 PM 05-24-2018
I do have some pictures from early last week. I have one cherry tomato plant that produces literally thousands of cherry tomatoes in a year here. It's fucking massive. 6 feet tall and close to that wide. It just produces and produces and never stops until about late June. Plan is to keep it alive through the summer and it will continue producing again come September and all through fall and early winter. Others have told me you can keep a single cherry tomato plant alive for years here and it will continue producing.

And the early girl tomato produces very well too. Lots of great shaped tomatoes with great color to them.

That's a 3 year old grapevine that I grew along the pool fence. First year it's been loaded with grapes.

:-):-):-):-):-)

Superb....
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:26 AM 05-25-2018
I do have some pictures from early last week. I have one cherry tomato plant that produces literally thousands of cherry tomatoes in a year here. It's ****ing massive. 6 feet tall and close to that wide. It just produces and produces and never stops until about late June. Plan is to keep it alive through the summer and it will continue producing again come September and all through fall and early winter. Others have told me you can keep a single cherry tomato plant alive for years here and it will continue producing.

Wow, very impressive, well done!

Garden is doing great , pulled the first tomato last night. I started the plants from seeds on Dec 27th and they were getting huge inside the house so I put most of them out out the middle of March.

We had multiple late freezes and lost quite a few plants. Only have six left but they are doing great.

Planted bell pepper plants from seeds as well and have about a dozen doing great.

Been eating radishes, lettuce and cilantro out of the garden.
[Reply]
Red Beans 08:23 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

Garden is doing great , pulled the first tomato last night. I started the plants from seeds on Dec 27th and they were getting huge inside the house so I put most of them out out the middle of March.

We had multiple late freezes and lost quite a few plants. Only have six left but they are doing great.

Planted bell pepper plants from seeds as well and have about a dozen doing great.

We have been up to our eyeballs in lettuce & spinach. Lot's of salad being eaten in our house. Our carrots are really thriving right now as well. This year we expanded our 3x6 raised beds to 6x12 and our my own mixture of screened topsoil, homemade compost and ash, peat moss, and bagged garden soil as opposed to just bagged garden soil. It seems like this holds the moisture much better than the bagged soil...
[Reply]
lewdog 04:44 PM 05-25-2018

Nice that you can start plants in house. Our cat eats everything so it's not an option here. What varieties of tomatoes do you grow? I wanna branch out but early girls and cherry tomatoes are so easy.

I tried bell pepper one year and got nothing. Maybe I should try again.

We grow lettuce, radishes and cilantro in the winter here. The lettuce was a first for me and absolutely delicious and grew like a fucking weed!
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:20 PM 05-25-2018
Nice that you can start plants in house. Our cat eats everything so it's not an option here. What varieties of tomatoes do you grow? I wanna branch out but early girls and cherry tomatoes are so easy.

We grow lettuce, radishes and cilantro in the winter here. The lettuce was a first for me and absolutely delicious and grew like a ****ing weed!
:-) This is my third year of plants out of the same bag of "beefsteak" tomato seeds. Us old retired people must stretch that dollar!

It seems like every variety of pepper i have grown likes this soil. Chilis, Jalepenos and a couple varieties of bells.

All four figs made it and are now going to town. I was pretty lazy getting them prepped for winter and thought I might have lost all or some of them.

Glad your lettuce is good, I have had a poor year for it compared to others.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:46 PM 05-25-2018

We grow lettuce, radishes and cilantro in the winter here. The lettuce was a first for me and absolutely delicious and grew like a fucking weed!
Shoot the cat.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:57 PM 05-26-2018
Tomatoes have taken off.

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:29 PM 05-31-2018
Corn is looking good.

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:54 PM 05-31-2018
For those that don't know ,sprinkle some epson salt around your tomato plants and watch what happens.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:48 AM 06-01-2018
I’m preparing myself for the invasion of the Japanese Beetles.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:49 AM 06-01-2018

I’ve been eating wilted lettuce for a month now.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 05:14 PM 06-14-2018
I’ve had insect issues since I moved to the woods last year and mentioned it to a buddy over beers one day. He showed up with a bottle of Talstar P last weekend and I finally got around to treating the exterior of the house Tuesday. For the first time, I’ve not found a spider in the house, which has been a daily struggle. Highly recommended if you have insect issues. Supposed to control 75 bug varieties and is pet and people safe.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:33 PM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I’ve had insect issues since I moved to the woods last year and mentioned it to a buddy over beers one day. He showed up with a bottle of Talstar P last weekend and I finally got around to treating the exterior of the house Tuesday. For the first time, I’ve not found a spider in the house, which has been a daily struggle. Highly recommended if you have insect issues. Supposed to control 75 bug varieties and is pet and people safe.

Bee safe?
[Reply]
Page 26 of 57
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Up