ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 257 of 301
« First < 157207247253254255256257 258259260261267 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:14 PM 09-30-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Clint Hurdle
He always got the Pirates to play better than their talent.

Joe Espada
Espada has served as the Houston Astros bench coach for the past two seasons. Prior to then, he was a member of Joe Girardi's Yankees staff. Espada will coach most of next season as a 44-year-old, putting him on the younger side. All the same, he's well-regarded and it seems like a matter of if not when he gets named someone's skipper.

Andy Green
Green didn't enjoy much on-the-field success with the San Diego Padres. He still has plenty of fans within the industry who suspect he'll eventually become a good big-league skipper.

Hensley “Bam Bam” Meulens
Meulens nearly landed the Yankees' job the winter before last. He speaks a handful of languages and should be an intriguing candidate. He currently serves as the Giants' bench coach.

Don Wakamatsu
Rangers bench coach who hasn't been a full-time manager since getting canned by the Seattle Mariners in 2010. Nevertheless, Wakamatsu almost always seems to get interviewed for gigs, in part of how well respected he is around the game.

Ryan Christenson
Christenson is an under-the-radar candidate who has worked his way through Oakland's minor league system as a manager and is now the bench coach for a playoff-bound A's team. A former big league player, Christenson possesses plenty of MLB clubhouse experience. Learning how to be a player-first manager from Bob Melvin has perhaps accelerated his development.

Bob Geren
Geren is one of the few managers in the Billy Beane era not to win with the A's. Oakland went 334-376 under his stewardship, and it made the postseason the year before and year after he was on the job. As an assistant, however, Geren has earned acclaim for his recent work in New York and Los Angeles with the Mets and Dodgers. He's currently LA's bench coach. The 58-year-old is considered to be a blend of old- and new-school styles, able to work under the guidance of a hands-on front office while equipped to call on-the-fly shots from the dugout.

Jay Bell
Bell played 18 years in the Majors for five teams and has coached for four organizations since 2005, giving him a wealth of knowledge about much of the league.
Known as a great teacher of young players, Bell is managing the Yankees' Double-A affiliate in Trenton. He had his first taste of the job last season with the team's Class A Advanced team in Tampa, where he was named the Florida State League's Manager of the Year.
Bell has been a hitting coach with the Pirates and a bench coach with the D-backs and Reds, giving him a big league coaching résumé to go with his Minor League managerial experience.

Carlos Beltran
The 9 time All-Star hung up his spikes after winning his first World Series championship last fall, closing out an accomplished 20-year career that could land him in the Hall of Fame five years from now.
But weeks after riding in the parade through the streets of Houston, Beltran found himself meeting with Brian Cashman and the rest of the Yankees' front office, interviewing for the team's vacant managerial position. He lost out to Boone, and although Beltran would have been a welcome addition to many coaching staffs, he opted to spend 2018 with his family before considering his future.
Whether Beltran opts to pursue potential coaching opportunities as early as next season remains to be seen, but the soon-to-be 41-year-old has made it clear that he envisions a future in that arena.

Joe Girardi
Hey, why not?
any of those will be 100X better than Matheny. If he’s selected you guys need to launch SOR(Save Our Royals). The faster you get rid of him, the better your future.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:17 PM 09-30-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
think we should almost be thrilled about this last year. It wasn't about winning. It was about developing.

We didn’t develop any pitching. If you want to say Keller maybe, but his FIP jumped from 3.55 to 4.35. Junis is what he is and will be, Lopez and Sparkman and Skoglund were terrible. In the pen Zimmer and Staumont struggled badly. I don’t see any development really on the mound.

Struck out the fewest hitters in MLB.
Same team has back to back 100+ losing seasons and said they arent trying to tank. Either they are lying or Moore is incompetent.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:27 PM 09-30-2019
I wish people would stop equating manager success to wins. You dont evaluate a manager based on wins and losses.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:49 PM 09-30-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Same team has back to back 100+ losing seasons and said they arent trying to tank. Either they are lying or Moore is incompetent.
Moore is incompetent. He's just the kind of guy that wouldn't tank. He won't even beat off.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:36 PM 09-30-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Moore is incompetent. He's just the kind of guy that wouldn't tank. He won't even beat off.
Well unless Sherman spends some money which I wouldnt think he would year 1 this team is going to have a nice pick for the third year in a row. Judge Moore in 2 years if PBs statement made today is true in 2 years we'll know it's time to move on.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:59 AM 10-01-2019
Well unless Sherman spends some money which I wouldnt think he would year 1 this team is going to have a nice pick for the third year in a row. Judge Moore in 2 years if PBs statement made today is true in 2 years we'll know it's time to move on.
He needs 1 of the pitching prospects to become a 1-2 and then a couple middle of the rotation guys. Hell we haven't even had a guy develop into a number 2 pitcher and you could argue that we haven't even developed a number 3 guy either. All of our guys turn out to be 4-5 or bullpen guys.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:37 AM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
He needs 1 of the pitching prospects to become a 1-2 and then a couple middle of the rotation guys. Hell we haven't even had a guy develop into a number 2 pitcher and you could argue that we haven't even developed a number 3 guy either. All of our guys turn out to be 4-5 or bullpen guys.

And they drastically changed the way they draft pitchers starting a few years ago, which is what has led to this current crop. Can you at least recognize the difference in spending premium picks on guys like Singer and Lynch instead of projectable HS arms like Foster Griffin and Nolan Watson and Ashe Russell? It’s a major, major shift in philosophy and deserves some time to see how it bears out.

There’s also the matter that developing 1-2 type pitchers is incredibly, incredibly hard. Even the organizations that are the best at pitching development aren’t turning them out left and right. TINSTAAPP is a thing for a reason.

Let’s look at the truly elite guys in MLB:

Gerrit Cole. No 1 overall pick, college guy, true ace-dom wasn’t unlocked until he landed in Houston and had is pitch mix adjusted. Perfect pitching prospect who needed a wake-up call and the most advanced analytics front office in the game to turn it around. (Houston, MLB)

Jacob deGrom. Probably the most curious ace. You look at his minor league pedigree and he’s pretty pedestrian until 2014, when it just clicked at age 24/25. (Mets)

Scherzer. Elite draft prospect, took him getting to his second organization before he turned intro a true ace (Detroit, MLB)

Verlander. Do I need to say anything? (Detroit, minors)

Strasburg. Best pitching prospect in the draft and minors in modern memory. (Nats, minors)

Greinke. (Royals, minors and majors)

Thor. Syndergaard has been up and down but still has truly elite stuff and like Cole could develop from tantalizing into dominant with just a slight tweak. (Mets, minors)

Jack Flaherty. Blossomed into an ace this year. Dominant guy with wipeout slider, reminds me a lot of young Max Scherzer. (Cardinals, minors)

Kershaw. Best pitcher of his generation. (Dodgers, minors and majors. Now evolving to his second life as a SP)

Sale. Chicago struck gold with him to the surprise of almost everyone. Needs to evolve now, similar to Kershaw. (Chicago)

Those are 10 of the best guys around. There aren’t 32 aces out there - most like a solid contingent of 6-8 you expect to be leaders and 15-20 who can raise their game and pitch at that elite level.

Even looking at leaderboards from this year, you see leading performers developing in many different ways. My point: developing an ace starter is probably the biggest unicorn in sports, or right there with the franchise QB. Expecting a GM to pop them out even once a decade is expecting too much.

And even with all that said, I’ll agree the Royals have to do better. The new owner just saw firsthand how valuable a strong, consistent MiLB approach and scouting and analytics are (the Indians are probably the best at this right now). Hopefully that message carries over and combines with what the Royals have changed their focus to and produces more consistent results.

I’m encouraged by the 18 class. We’ll start seeing fruits from it this year, I think (though we all should be prepared for rough numbers from AAA due to the trampoline ball and those hitting environments). I’ll ultimately judge Moore on that group.

Agreed that the tale of the tape on Moore is due in 2021/22. If the team isn’t showing positive upward movement by then it will be time for a change in leadership and approach.

They’re not telling the whole truth. Everyone in the org expected 18 and 19 to be rough. They have been.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:06 AM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
And they drastically changed the way they draft pitchers starting a few years ago, which is what has led to this current crop. Can you at least recognize the difference in spending premium picks on guys like Singer and Lynch instead of projectable HS arms like Foster Griffin and Nolan Watson and Ashe Russell? It’s a major, major shift in philosophy and deserves some time to see how it bears out.

There’s also the matter that developing 1-2 type pitchers is incredibly, incredibly hard. Even the organizations that are the best at pitching development aren’t turning them out left and right. TINSTAAPP is a thing for a reason.

Let’s look at the truly elite guys in MLB:

Gerrit Cole. No 1 overall pick, college guy, true ace-dom wasn’t unlocked until he landed in Houston and had is pitch mix adjusted. Perfect pitching prospect who needed a wake-up call and the most advanced analytics front office in the game to turn it around. (Houston, MLB)

Jacob deGrom. Probably the most curious ace. You look at his minor league pedigree and he’s pretty pedestrian until 2014, when it just clicked at age 24/25. (Mets)

Scherzer. Elite draft prospect, took him getting to his second organization before he turned intro a true ace (Detroit, MLB)

Verlander. Do I need to say anything? (Detroit, minors)

Strasburg. Best pitching prospect in the draft and minors in modern memory. (Nats, minors)

Greinke. (Royals, minors and majors)

Thor. Syndergaard has been up and down but still has truly elite stuff and like Cole could develop from tantalizing into dominant with just a slight tweak. (Mets, minors)

Jack Flaherty. Blossomed into an ace this year. Dominant guy with wipeout slider, reminds me a lot of young Max Scherzer. (Cardinals, minors)

Kershaw. Best pitcher of his generation. (Dodgers, minors and majors. Now evolving to his second life as a SP)

Sale. Chicago struck gold with him to the surprise of almost everyone. Needs to evolve now, similar to Kershaw. (Chicago)

Those are 10 of the best guys around. There aren’t 32 aces out there - most like a solid contingent of 6-8 you expect to be leaders and 15-20 who can raise their game and pitch at that elite level.

Even looking at leaderboards from this year, you see leading performers developing in many different ways. My point: developing an ace starter is probably the biggest unicorn in sports, or right there with the franchise QB. Expecting a GM to pop them out even once a decade is expecting too much.

And even with all that said, I’ll agree the Royals have to do better. The new owner just saw firsthand how valuable a strong, consistent MiLB approach and scouting and analytics are (the Indians are probably the best at this right now). Hopefully that message carries over and combines with what the Royals have changed their focus to and produces more consistent results.

I’m encouraged by the 18 class. We’ll start seeing fruits from it this year, I think (though we all should be prepared for rough numbers from AAA due to the trampoline ball and those hitting environments). I’ll ultimately judge Moore on that group.

Agreed that the tale of the tape on Moore is due in 2021/22. If the team isn’t showing positive upward movement by then it will be time for a change in leadership and approach.

They’re not telling the whole truth. Everyone in the org expected 18 and 19 to be rough. They have been.
Oh I know that they've changed up their philosophy and I'm encouraged by the results. All it took was one draft to go from completely barren, when it comes to pitching prospects, to having a decent amount of solid guys with lots of potential. I'm just hoping it's not a coaching philosophy that is causing our pitchers to flame out or never reach their potential.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:16 AM 10-01-2019
I understand it's incredibly hard to find an ace, but Dayton Moore hasn't found a single true #1 ace type in over a decade of being the GM. So what should be the expectation? It takes 13 years to finally learn their approach at talent evaluation was crap? We should expect to maybe find one ace every 15-20 years?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:35 AM 10-01-2019
Sorry Duncan, but 18-19 were rough because he let the farm system go to complete shit, and wasted 50M/yr on Ian-Gordon-Duffy. Those were MAJOR financial mistakes and small markets can’t worhstand that.

He also blew the Salvy extension but you and I have gone over that already so no rehash needed.

His 16/17 window closed way too soon. Part of its Yordano’s death obv but what did he do right? He:

1. Signed Chris Young which blew up in his face and may have cost a wild card in 16
2. Ditto signing Soria
3. The 17 deadline deal with SD blew up in his face
4. Kept trotting our Herrera in Sep 17 which blew up in his face

DM has done very little right the last 4 years and he needs to be held accountable. I’m tired of the whole “We are a small market and our window closed”. That’s fine but you can go 70-92. Only 4 teams lost 100, we have now done it back to back.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:26 AM 10-01-2019
Sorry Duncan, but 18-19 were rough because he let the farm system go to complete shit, and wasted 50M/yr on Ian-Gordon-Duffy. Those were MAJOR financial mistakes and small markets can’t worhstand that.

He also blew the Salvy extension but you and I have gone over that already so no rehash needed.

His 16/17 window closed way too soon. Part of its Yordano’s death obv but what did he do right? He:

1. Signed Chris Young which blew up in his face and may have cost a wild card in 16
2. Ditto signing Soria
3. The 17 deadline deal with SD blew up in his face
4. Kept trotting our Herrera in Sep 17 which blew up in his face

DM has done very little right the last 4 years and he needs to be held accountable. I’m tired of the whole “We are a small market and our window closed”. That’s fine but you can go 70-92. Only 4 teams lost 100, we have now done it back to back.

The Royals did not adjust well to the hard slot and had some particularly empty drafts in 2011-15 (save 2013). It bit them hard.

Moore did not effectively shop in the bargain bin before 2016 and 2017. They had to sign someone like Chris Young, around that price range. It wasn’t a great market for relievers, either. All of the multiyear guys around soria’s price point were roughly the same.

Pete Moylan gave them some good innings, but that’s the only obvious win from 15.

Kennedy in Year 1 was what they were expecting/hoping for. Deal turned down in years 2-3, obviously.

Moore did the 2018 draft class right, but there aren’t a lot of other pride points since then. He’ll be held accountable if he doesn’t get it turned back around in the next few years.

Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I understand it's incredibly hard to find an ace, but Dayton Moore hasn't found a single true #1 ace type in over a decade of being the GM. So what should be the expectation? It takes 13 years to finally learn their approach at talent evaluation was crap? We should expect to maybe find one ace every 15-20 years?

Their approach at talent evaluation and acquisition was good for a big portion of that, though. 07-11, the Royals stockpiled an elite farm system. You can’t sit there and say their talent evaluation has been awful when the first round of it led to a five-year run that included meaningful second half baseball every year, two pennants, and a World Series title.

They did a really shitty job adjusting to the more restrictive draft system and didn’t find a gap that would give them an advantage.

Re: finding aces, I think expecting to ever find one is folly. They’re unicorns.

In all the minors right now, there are maybe 5-10 guys that evaluators would say can be true ace starters.

I just did a quick run through of “ace development” off the top of my head since 2007, thinking about guys who have been elite for more than a single season and who hadn’t developed yet in 2007. Here’s how many teams developed their own aces:

Mets (deGrom, Thor - Thor via trade)
Marlins (Jose Fernandez)
Dodgers (Kershaw)
Giants (Lincecum, Bumgarner)
Rays (Price)
Indians (Kluber - trade)
Tigers (Scherzer via trade, was already a pro but blossomed in Detroit)
White Sox (Sale)

That’s 8 teams out of 30. The Cardinals May have developed one in Flaherty, same for the Dodgers - Buehler, indians - clevinger, Reds - Castillo.

A good front office should develop quality SP. but expecting it to hit on true aces with any consistency is just folly.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:59 AM 10-01-2019
We can't have that kind of measured and reasonable type of discussion here in this thread duncan.

No. Royals need to fire Dayton Moore because fWAR and not finding pitching unicorns.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:48 AM 10-01-2019
The Royals did not adjust well to the hard slot and had some particularly empty drafts in 2011-15 (save 2013). It bit them hard.

After his 13-15 deals - even short term ones like Ervin Santana, Kottares, Blanton, Medlen, Madson - I thought “Man I was wrong about Dayton. Maybe he’s really embraced his analytics dept, hired new scouts, or just matured on the job”

That’s out the window now. The franchise is directionless esp with NED leaving and there being nobody sub 25 on the roster who’s any good, Mondesi excepted.

Moore did not effectively shop in the bargain bin before 2016 and 2017. They had to sign someone like Chris Young, around that price range. It wasn’t a great market for relievers, either. All of the multiyear guys around soria’s price point were roughly the same.

You can miss here and there, but to lose 100+ back to back you need to miss A LOT. I need an explanation why CLEVE is +35 games better than us. 35! Did they ever have to “crash and burn” like this? Their GM isn’t perfect either.

They have no OF. No Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Salazar. Jose Ramirez crashes back to earth. Kipnis aged out. But there they are! 94 wins. Gee it’s amazing isn’t it?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:51 PM 10-01-2019
Cleveland was 18-1 against Detroit. Only reason they weren't a below average team this year.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:57 PM 10-01-2019

After his 13-15 deals - even short term ones like Ervin Santana, Kottares, Blanton, Medlen, Madson - I thought “Man I was wrong about Dayton. Maybe he’s really embraced his analytics dept, hired new scouts, or just matured on the job”

That’s out the window now. The franchise is directionless esp with NED leaving and there being nobody sub 25 on the roster who’s any good, Mondesi excepted.

You can miss here and there, but to lose 100+ back to back you need to miss A LOT. I need an explanation why CLEVE is +35 games better than us. 35! Did they ever have to “crash and burn” like this? Their GM isn’t perfect either.

They have no OF. No Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Salazar. Jose Ramirez crashes back to earth. Kipnis aged out. But there they are! 94 wins. Gee it’s amazing isn’t it?

Why are you so caught up on the 100-loss mark? I would have placed you in the “if you’re going to lose, lose as much as possible” crowd.
[Reply]
Page 257 of 301
« First < 157207247253254255256257 258259260261267 > Last »
Up