ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>New Build_2019 Christmas Edition
vailpass 12:19 PM 12-24-2019
With the price of memory and gpus now coming down to earth I decided to take advantage of Christmas sales and do a new build for myself. I have laptops but no desktop and this is a want-not-need situation so I'm going to buy it piece by piece as I find deals.

I don't game on the PC but I can't not build it to be gaming capable so I'm going with good but not top-shelf components for gaming.

Here is what I ordered today. Good deals, I"m going to watch to see if they are offered for any lower day after Christmas and get the difference if so.

Anybody have any suggestions on a motherboard? That's the part I have the hardest time figuring out which is best for me. Any other suggestions are most appreciated as well.

Purchased
CPU I5-9600k
SSD 1 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe
SSD 2 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Case NZXT H700i Matte Black
GPU MSI Gaming X RTX 2060 Super
MOBO MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B
Power Supply Corsair 650 gold

Deals I'm still Watching for:

Win10 Key

*Updated 1/3*
[Reply]
mdstu 12:55 PM 12-24-2019
I am also going to start a new build soon. My strategy will be to take advantage of the amazing strides that AMD made in the last phase of Ryzen.

Having a MicroCenter near by definitely helps.

I think I'm going to pair a Ryzen 5 1600 with a Gigabyte B450 MB. @ MC About $130 bundled. Slap in the new Radeon 5700XT approx. $325.

I think there will be a socket change with the release of the next gen of AMD cpu's. I'm hoping to wait a couple years, then wait for the 3700x, 3800x, or 3900x cpu's to hit the secondary market at an extreme discount. If I could get a Ryzen 9 3900x on ebay for $200 in a couple years, that would be one beastly machine for $700 - $800.
[Reply]
hometeam 02:15 PM 12-24-2019
highest Asrock mobo you can afford.
[Reply]
hometeam 02:18 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by mdstu:
I am also going to start a new build soon. My strategy will be to take advantage of the amazing strides that AMD made in the last phase of Ryzen.

Having a MicroCenter near by definitely helps.

I think I'm going to pair a Ryzen 5 1600 with a Gigabyte B450 MB. @ MC About $130 bundled. Slap in the new Radeon 5700XT approx. $325.

I think there will be a socket change with the release of the next gen of AMD cpu's. I'm hoping to wait a couple years, then wait for the 3700x, 3800x, or 3900x cpu's to hit the secondary market at an extreme discount. If I could get a Ryzen 9 3900x on ebay for $200 in a couple years, that would be one beastly machine for $700 - $800.

If you are buying a mobo, you can get a 3600 for about 150 bucks at microcenter with the mobo discount. why neuter your current experience with a 1600?
[Reply]
hometeam 02:19 PM 12-24-2019
www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

is always faster and better deals than PCpartpicker and the like
[Reply]
vailpass 03:08 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by hometeam:
highest Asrock mobo you can afford.
You had good luck with Asrock? I've had MSI and ASUS and both are working great 2 years later. Other than wifi, specific ports, and some GPU support in the slots what else do you look for in a board, if anything?
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:31 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
You had good luck with Asrock? I've had MSI and ASUS and both are working great 2 years later. Other than wifi, specific ports, and some GPU support in the slots what else do you look for in a board, if anything?
I've always loved Asus since back in the 90's but sometimes they fall short. I've had some expensive Mobo's from Asus some were absolutely outstanding and some fell short with stupid bugs that never went away. As I understand Asrock is just an Asus with stripped down features. Gigabyte is a pretty good buy usually.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:32 PM 12-24-2019
www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

is always faster and better deals than PCpartpicker and the like
I still like going to the store picking out parts at Microcenter, they also price match about anything. I feel like those like me(a few) are keeping the walkin stores going.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:49 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
I still like going to the store picking out parts at Microcenter, they also price match about anything. I feel like those like me(a few) are keeping the walkin stores going.
Good for you. We have Fry's Electronics stores here in the West, same kind of place. My only problem with walking in there is I see an awful lot of cool shit I want to buy but know I shouldn't.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:54 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Good for you. We have Fry's Electronics stores here in the West, same kind of place. My only problem with walking in there is I see an awful lot of cool shit I want to buy but know I shouldn't.
I went into Microcenter 2 days ago for 2 USB thumb drives, left with a bill over $150 so ya I get it. The Manager comes out and asks me if everything was good just about every trip in there. I'm a sucker I guess.

Also about a year or so ago I talked to a guy about a warranty and he said my goodness if you worked here you would have saved about $7000 on Employee discounts. I do build systems for people occasionally but still :-)
[Reply]
mdstu 06:35 PM 12-24-2019
If you are buying a mobo, you can get a 3600 for about 150 bucks at microcenter with the mobo discount. why neuter your current experience with a 1600?
Yeah, I've gone back and forth with this in my head.

Im either gonna get in real cheap with a $60 cpu, with a potential future massive upgrade (hopefully really cheap).

or

If I was gonna upgrade to a better cpu now I'd probably spend $310 for the 3800x. With no intent on upgrading in the future.

I'll probably just wait 3-6 months, in hopes that one of the high end ryzens has a sale or price drop.
[Reply]
Fish 10:23 PM 12-27-2019

[Reply]
vailpass 03:13 PM 12-29-2019
Getting closer. I got a gpu and mobo (OP updated). Now all I have left is a power supply and Win10 key.
Memory prices have gone way down; it seems like PS prices have gone way up.

Paul's Hardware talks about a $20 OEM Win10 key for $20 from KinguinNet.

Anybody know anything about Kinguin and their Win10 keys? The reddits seem to think it works... https://www.reddit.com/r/Kinguin/com...ys_legitimate/
[Reply]
Fish 03:41 PM 12-29-2019
KMSpico is cheaper....
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:52 PM 12-29-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
KMSpico is cheaper....
Quoted for TRUTH!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up