ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: If you saw the Last Jedi in theaters will you see the Rise of Skywalker in the theate
Yes 54 58.70%
No 38 41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Page 13 of 17
« First < 3910111213 14151617 >
Media Center>If you saw The Last Jedi in the theater do you plan on seeing The Rise of Skywalker?
BigRichard 07:00 PM 11-07-2019
I am just kind of curious to see how many people that saw the Last Jedi in theaters are going to see the new movie in theaters as well. Lets see if I can figure out how to do a poll or if this will be a failure on my part.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:56 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't think that's the case, as its weekend opening will be in excess of $450 million worldwide.
Sure, everyone will go see it because its Star Wars. But its like this large vocal fan base that just likes to bitch and whine about everything.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:02 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Sure, everyone will go see it because its Star Wars. But its like this large vocal fan base that just likes to bitch and whine about everything.
I've just learned to ignore those people. And quite honestly, I don't have any respect for people that get paid a penny a word on websites like Uproxx, Vox, etc. and so on, who are just bitching just to bitch and claim things like "Abrams reversed everything from the fantastic The Last Jedi" and buzzwords like "Fan Service" film.

Uh, yeah, duh.

What's exciting to me is that all of these people that loved TLJ don't like RoS.

That's a big step in the right direction, IMO.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:13 PM 12-18-2019
I've just learned to ignore those people. And quite honestly, I don't have any respect for people that get paid a penny a word on websites like Uproxx, Vox, etc. and so on, who are just bitching just to bitch and claim things like "Abrams reversed everything from the fantastic The Last Jedi" and buzzwords like "Fan Service" film.

Uh, yeah, duh.

What's exciting to me is that all of these people that loved TLJ don't like RoS.

That's a big step in the right direction, IMO.
I'm pretty sure I've seen you explain this before, but can I ask why the production of this trilogy feels so messy? There didn't seem to be an outline or plan for the 3 movies to be cohesive and RJ just kind of ignored where JJ was intending to go.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:18 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I'm pretty sure I've seen you explain this before, but can I ask why the production of this trilogy feels so messy? There didn't seem to be an outline or plan for the 3 movies to be cohesive and RJ just kind of ignored where JJ was intending to go.
My guess is too many cooks.

Not one singular visionary like Lucas.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:22 PM 12-18-2019
My guess is too many cooks.

Not one singular visionary like Lucas.
If I'm correct the Mandalorian has a new director for pretty much every episode, and yet it manages to follow a cohesive storyline. Just can't understand how these movies were made without at least a rough outline that needed to be followed.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:06 PM 12-18-2019
To be fair, if you watch them objectively there is not much the same in the approach between IV V and VI. V is really an adult-oriented film. VI is totally all about appealing to kids.

I think RJ was going to take it a different direction then it crashed and burned. So they made a hard left.

I get what the last Jedi was trying to do. IV was a real hero-camp story. V was the dark turn. VI was overcoming the evil. VII was a carbon copy of IV, and it took a fair amount of hell for it. Then VIII comes along and says it's a similar situation, but all the shit that worked in the first film isn't how this is going to go. And rightly so, because it obviously didn't fucking work. So VIII was all about finding a different way. I get all that.

But it got crushed so they punted. I totally get that too.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 08:00 PM 12-18-2019

I enjoyed TLJ more than TFA. Probably the second most enjoyable SW film under Disney for me behind Rogue One. Solo wasn’t bad but it didn’t really do anything to advance the mythos behind Han.

I get why people don’t like it-it’s completely different from the other films and undermined a lot of what Abrams set up. But Johnson at least tried something to advance the plot of SW. TFA didn’t do that whatsoever.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:15 PM 12-18-2019
If I'm correct the Mandalorian has a new director for pretty much every episode, and yet it manages to follow a cohesive storyline. Just can't understand how these movies were made without at least a rough outline that needed to be followed.
Yes. Different directors.

But it’s all under the singular vision of Jon Favreau’s eyes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:35 PM 12-18-2019
Yes. Different directors.

But it’s all under the singular vision of Jon Favreau’s eyes.
From my understanding, that's not really true, Dude.

Dave Filoni is the Co-Executive Producer, co-writer and has directed two episodes out of eight. Favreau has directed any episodes to date while Filoni's role has been expanded in Season Two.

Favreau came up with the idea, pitched Iger and KK, then began writing the story arc. And while Favreau pops in from time to time, he's not there on-set every single day.

I don't mean to reduce his role in any way and he's most certainly the show creator. The LED tech that he first used for The Jungle Book is now being used for The Mando (and all upcoming Disney + TV shows), so he' certainly a huge part of the show but he has other projects that require his time and focus, so he's not really "The Showrunner" in the normal sense of the word.

Favreau also understands that Dave Filoni has had great success with Star Wars TV series and trusts him implicitly.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:50 PM 12-18-2019
I'm prepping for a 2 day road trip to KC and normally, I'd have the time to go into great detail but I'm pretty much pressed for time tonight.

Long story short: KK was hired, Episode VII and Rogue One were greenlit immediately, with plans for a Boba Fett and Obi Wan movie as their initial four films. Everything collapsed, writers and directors were hired and fired, the Boba Fett film was dumped because Josh Trank was a disaster, the Obi Wan film didn't have a focus and no one in town wanted to deal with Episode VII due to the huge shadow of the franchise.

George had started his version of VII with Michael Arndt (which was rejected), which had some similarities with TFA (Kira was replaced by Rey, so Qi'ra was used for Solo) but once Abrams was hired after 7 other directors turned them down, he didn't like Arndt's story and sensibilities so he was fired.

KK then suggested Abrams work with Larry Kasdan and they both decided to reboot the franchise while laying groundwork for VIII and IX. JJ made a huge deal out of moving to London and threatened to quit but was coaxed into staying on, but it messed with him so much emotionally that he dropped out of VIII and IX, then Rian Johnson was hired to "do his thing" for VIII & IX.

Johnson was dumped from IX shortly after the divisiveness of TLJ and Colin Trevorrow was hired for IX to write and direct. Trevorrow didn't like the same aspects of TLJ that most Star Wars lifers didn't like and after requesting multiple times to have RJ make changes to TLJ so that Luke's story wouldn't end with TLJ, he was fired.

Meanwhile, Lord & Miller were doing 50 takes a scene and angering the hell out of Larry Kasdan, who finally put his foot down and had them fired. Ron Howard did George a solid and was brought in to reshoot the entire film and partially recast it (George was on set quite a bit for Solo as well). Stephen Daldry was hired for the Obi Wan movie but since no one, and I mean no one, wanted anything to do with IX, KK went back to Abrams, then in an effort to oversee everything, decided that Obi Wan could wait and would work better as a TV series (and I wholeheartedly agree with that decision).

People at Lucasfilm really hated what RJ had done with TLJ, so there was a collective sigh of relief and a feeling of "JJ's going to 'Right the Ship'" with Episode IX. From all accounts, he's done just that but how that plays with the audience is yet to be seen.

There's a lot more to it than that but my time is limited. I'll be sure to add as much as I can after the holidays, which will give everyone who's interested a chance to see the new film, digest it and have questions that I will do my best to answer. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:59 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Interesting. Yeah maybe if i find myself getting engulfed by the lore (i'm kind of a lore nerd) i'll check it out.
Rogue One can be watched as a stand alone and enjoyed. The 3rd act is not only the best “Star Wars” scenes ever filmed but as good as any action movie out there in theatres.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:24 PM 12-18-2019
From my understanding, that's not really true, Dude.

Dave Filoni is the Co-Executive Producer, co-writer and has directed two episodes out of eight. Favreau has directed any episodes to date while Filoni's role has been expanded in Season Two.

Favreau came up with the idea, pitched Iger and KK, then began writing the story arc. And while Favreau pops in from time to time, he's not there on-set every single day.

I don't mean to reduce his role in any way and he's most certainly the show creator. The LED tech that he first used for The Jungle Book is now being used for The Mando (and all upcoming Disney + TV shows), so he' certainly a huge part of the show but he has other projects that require his time and focus, so he's not really "The Showrunner" in the normal sense of the word.

Favreau also understands that Dave Filoni has had great success with Star Wars TV series and trusts him implicitly.
Well whatever the case, Favreau found himself the right collaborators to work with. The series is perfect so far.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:32 PM 12-18-2019

Meanwhile, Lord & Miller were doing 50 takes a scene and angering the hell out of Larry Kasdan, who finally put his foot down and had them fired. Ron Howard did George a solid and was brought in to reshoot the entire film and partially recast it (George was on set quite a bit for Solo as well).
Its amazing the Solo film came out as good as it did. I liked it alot. Howard is an old pro and i really liked the Kasdans script and dialogue.

Lord and Miller are great, but just not the right fit for Star Wars.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:59 PM 12-18-2019
I think the biggest surprise of all this is that everyone wishes Gareth Edwards or Ron Howard directed 7, 8 or 9.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:24 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I think the biggest surprise of all this is that everyone wishes Garett Edwards or Ron Howard directed 7, 8 or 9.
I'm sure Gareth would have loved to direct it, too. It's really too bad that he and Lucasfilm couldn't come to an agreement over the Rogue One prequel series but Tony Gilroy, who wrote and directed 40% of the film, including the 3rd Act, will kick ass as the screenwriter and director.

BTW, the Rogue One prequel series begins shooting next summer.

One more thing about IX: I was told in the last hour or so that this movie wasn't locked until Saturday, as in December 14th. This past Saturday.

I knew they had filmed multiple endings so I had no idea which ending they'd go with but apparently, the cast and crew hadn't seen the film at any stage, other than when they were shooting, so they all saw it for the first time on Monday night.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 17
« First < 3910111213 14151617 >
Up