ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 17
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2018-19 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:47 PM 04-16-2018
After a surprising, disappointing, exciting, and depressing 2017-18 that both began and ended in typical Mizzou fashion, the Tigers begin the offseason with several holes in the roster and one major recruiting target remaining.

Losses from 2017-18:
Michael Porter Jr, SF
Jordan Barnett, SF
Kassius Robertson, SG

Returning Starters:
Jontay Porter, SF/PF
Kevin Puryear, PF
Jeremiah Tilmon, F/C

Returning Role Player:
Reed Nikko

Injured Role Players:
Cullen Van Leer
Mitchell Smith

Returning Suicide Vest:
Jordan Geist

Spoiler!

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:18 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
There’s something in that Porter gene that breaks down at 18-21. Too bad because the talent is undeniable.

Mostly genetics, possibly helped by the vegan diet. From the way they describe what they eat, I wonder if they’re getting all the essentials needed to build connective tissue up.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:43 PM 10-27-2018
Man that is just a shame.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:48 PM 10-27-2018
Maybe something bad will happen at Ohio State and Lidell will come crawling back to us lol.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:38 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Maybe something bad will happen at Ohio State and Lidell will come crawling back to us lol.

Always possible, but it sounds like he’ll sign in November.
[Reply]
Sully 10:34 AM 12-03-2018
In today's episode of "Pipe Dreams and What'll Never Happen," I'd sure love to grab Hoiberg after the season.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:36 AM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by Sully:
In today's episode of "Pipe Dreams and What'll Never Happen," I'd sure love to grab Hoiberg after the season.
And fire Cuonzo?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:43 AM 12-03-2018
BTW, an absolute heist of a victory yesterday. That game will drive UCF nuts for months. As one would expect for a team without a solid offensive system and no established go-to scorer, Mizzou could not get a good look in the closing stretch, but a few miracle plays (the in-bounds bouncing off a defender and straight to Geist underneath the basket, and the buzzer beater off a constipated, nothing play) overcame the offensive incompetence (inability to beat the five second clock when down 1 with 15 seconds left).

This team is likely an SEC cellar dweller, but they battle their asses off. Tilmon has shown growth on the defensive side, but his offense needs similar progression. All the young guards are just that--young.
[Reply]
Sully 12:05 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
And fire Cuonzo?
I have to be honest, and I'm willing to bet just about veryone in this thread has watched it more closely than I have, but I am not the biggest Cuonzo fan. I was lukewarm to cold on the hire, till I saw the recruits (Porters, Tillmon). But my amateur eye sees a poorly coached team that has trouble often completing an inbounds pass. His resume reds as underachieving.
I love what he does to build young men. I think he's a good man. I won't hate if he is actually here. I just think we could upgrade.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:10 PM 12-03-2018
I have to be honest, and I'm willing to bet just about veryone in this thread has watched it more closely than I have, but I am not the biggest Cuonzo fan. I was lukewarm to cold on the hire, till I saw the recruits (Porters, Tillmon). But my amateur eye sees a poorly coached team that has trouble often completing an inbounds pass. His resume reds as underachieving.
I love what he does to build young men. I think he's a good man. I won't hate if he is actually here. I just think we could upgrade.
He needs a good offensive second. There's no doubt about that. That aside, I think he's the kind of coach a program like Missouri needs if it wants to eventually build itself back up to a top-15 school. I don't think there are many coaches that could have overcome losing lottery picks with depleted rosters in consecutive seasons.

The excuses people used for Kim Anderson, which were invalid, actually apply to Cuonzo. I think that by year four this team will show some real signs of competing.
[Reply]
Sully 12:21 PM 12-03-2018
He needs a good offensive second. There's no doubt about that. That aside, I think he's the kind of coach a program like Missouri needs if it wants to eventually build itself back up to a top-15 school. I don't think there are many coaches that could have overcome losing lottery picks with depleted rosters in consecutive seasons.

The excuses people used for Kim Anderson, which were invalid, actually apply to Cuonzo. I think that by year four this team will show some real signs of competing.
I'll take your word for it, as I'm sure you have more knowledge on the subject. I'm just disheartened right now.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:24 PM 12-03-2018
I'll take your word for it, as I'm sure you have more knowledge on the subject. I'm just disheartened right now.
I totally get that. I've been checked out on a large portion of this season, too. We were supposed to get three years of Porters and ended up with one. We were robbed of seeing the most talented player Columbia has ever produced play for the hometown team. It is disheartening. It's...Mizzou.

However, to be a fan and maintain your sanity, I think you have to have a mixture of gallows humor and a quixotic nature.
[Reply]
Sully 12:30 PM 12-03-2018
I totally get that. I've been checked out on a large portion of this season, too. We were supposed to get three years of Porters and ended up with one. We were robbed of seeing the most talented player Columbia has ever produced play for the hometown team. It is disheartening. It's...Mizzou.

However, to be a fan and maintain your sanity, I think you have to have a mixture of gallows humor and a quixotic nature.
I have a really close friend who graduated from Georgia. he's such a great guy and such a die hard that I root for the Bulldogs for him. When they choked it away the other night, I told him it was probably my fault from bringing my bad KC/Mizzou juju to the table by rooting for them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:39 PM 12-03-2018

I was at the Temple game; have some impressions that I just never got around to posting about individual players but they mostly just got lost in the fight the team displayed.

They had several opportunities to fold up and go home but they didn't. That game looked lost 3-4 times and yet a stop/score late and they'd have stolen it.

Cuonzo's teams battle their asses off, man. And yeah, the guards are super young and the inbounds shit...lord God how do we still keep messing that up? But these teams are tenacious and that's a reflection on him.

I absolutely think Cuonzo has flaws as a coach and there will be cries for his head far more often than there should be precisely because of them. But he's also exactly what the program needs, IMO. He's a great fit here and I do think he can get them back to being an annual tournament team. The resources are there; he just needs to re-build the depth and recruiting pipelines. It'll come together in time.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:47 PM 12-03-2018
BTW, an absolute heist of a victory yesterday. That game will drive UCF nuts for months. As one would expect for a team without a solid offensive system and no established go-to scorer, Mizzou could not get a good look in the closing stretch, but a few miracle plays (the in-bounds bouncing off a defender and straight to Geist underneath the basket, and the buzzer beater off a constipated, nothing play) overcame the offensive incompetence (inability to beat the five second clock when down 1 with 15 seconds left).

This team is likely an SEC cellar dweller, but they battle their asses off. Tilmon has shown growth on the defensive side, but his offense needs similar progression. All the young guards are just that--young.
The team clearly misses Jontay, but it misses Robertson even more.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:56 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
The team clearly misses Jontay, but it misses Robertson even more.
Hell, they haven't even found a replacement for Barnett. Puryear's trying to do it but he's just doesn't have the range.

Mark Smith is doing his best Cash impression and doing an okay job of it at times; just not as reliable as Robertson was. That's going to be a damn nice upper classman as he matures, IMO.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 17
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up