ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>11.22.63 on Hulu
InChiefsHeaven 01:23 PM 10-04-2019
Anybody watch this? I read the book a few years back, and I always wanted to watch the show. It's...ok I guess. It's been awhile since I read the book, but there are a lot of changes. Not all of them good. I'm only about half way done.

Anyway, I searched the forum and didn't find anything on this. If there is a thread, I couldn't find it.

So...anybody see this who read the book, and what did you think?
[Reply]
Frosty 02:00 PM 10-04-2019
One of my favorite King books. A couple of years ago, I found the DVD for the entire series super cheap. I haven't watched it yet but you are making me not want to
[Reply]
vailpass 02:59 PM 10-04-2019
Odds of a King story successfully translating to TV or film: roughly 1 in infinity.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:27 PM 10-04-2019
Great book, have doubts on the show
[Reply]
Miles 07:51 PM 10-04-2019
I watched it a while back and enjoyed it. Was well acted and put together which you don’t always get with King adaptations. Haven’t read the book but have been meaning to and particularly since I live in Dallas.
[Reply]
Miles 07:53 PM 10-04-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Odds of a King story successfully translating to TV or film: roughly 1 in infinity.
One was adapted in a way he didn’t like that was exceptional.
[Reply]
Lurk 07:55 PM 10-04-2019
I enjoyed the book, didn't care for the adaptation.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:36 AM 10-05-2019
Yeah, I loved the book. Even the ending was very satisfying, which is unlike most of his books. Dude can write like the dickens but can't end a book worth a shit.

So far, they've introduced a new character and that has taken the story in a very different direction. If I had not read the book, I'd probably like this more, but since I have read the book, well...I find myself going "meh" alot. I'll finish it though, just don't know when.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:53 AM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by Miles:
One was adapted in a way he didn’t like that was exceptional.
?
The Shining?
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 09:28 AM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
?
The Shining?
I gotta guess Shawshank redemption or Green Mile. Stand by me was good.

Other than that, most King movies suck.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:01 AM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
I gotta guess Shawshank redemption or Green Mile. Stand by me was good.

Other than that, most King movies suck.
I've heard King doesn't like the movie version of Shining, not sure if that's what Miles is saying though.

Good King movies that I can think of:

Shining
Shawshank
Green Mile
Stand By Me
Misery
Pet Semetary (I might be alone here but I liked it)
Carrie
Children of the Corn
Deadzone
[Reply]
lcarus 10:11 AM 10-05-2019
I enjoyed it. It didn't really go where I had hoped it would in the end though.

Sarah Gadon looks tasty in it.
[Reply]
underEJ 10:26 AM 10-08-2019
I liked it. I definitely have practiced and mastered the separation of book and adaptation. A book is a singular project with one (maybe two if an author has a trusted editor or muse) creative contributor. A filmed adaptation has dozens to hundreds of contributors and is a collaborative process. That is two very different mediums. Adaptation is meant to have creative license or it would be called a translation. On rare occasions the collective contributors will decide the goal is to faithfully translate, but what is the point of that really for a group of artists? Those versions generally lack spark because the artists have decided not to be artists at all. As a reader, I have come to accept that I have my faithful version already, the one I envisioned when I read it, and no one will ever make that version. Then I can separate it and I've even become pretty good at not bringing my knowledge of the source to my viewing so while I am not going to be surprised by most plot points, I can still enjoy how the performers and director take me there.

Most recent example for me is the tv adaptation of Sharp Objects which is widely well received and generally considered a pretty faithful adaptation. It does have significant changes including the ending. I really liked it and found the changes to be well thought out and in the best interest of a dynamic performance for most of the actors, but if I had been looking for what I read, I'd probably have been disappointed by it.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:39 PM 10-09-2019
Finally finished it. Meh.

Frankly, it was pretty tedious at times and James Franco sucks IMO. I mean...they had to give him CGI tears for craps sake...

I dunno, they added a bunch of stuff that was un-necessary and it was slow and boring to me in a lot of places. But it wasn't horrible. Ending was good. Glad I watched it. Don't care to see it again though.
[Reply]
Up