ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 40
« First < 212728293031 32333435 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:03 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I know. Honestly, I felt better with Wiz across from Suh personally.

In Reid I trust.

But it kind of scares the shit out of me.
Wylie's played in plenty of high profile games, including the AFC Championship in 2018, 2019 and 2020. He also started in the loss to the Rams, which could have easily been a win for the Chiefs had the ball not bounced the way it did a few times, while they put up 51 points on the board.

I'd rather see Wylie start and if he's injured or ineffective, they can plug in Wiz, who's used to coming off the bench for the Chiefs.

Starting Wiz over Wylie doesn't make much sense from a continuity standpoint, which is something Reid believes is a thing.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:06 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah but what are his back problems? Is it muscle pain or something more serious like spinal stenosis?

Fisher played lights out this season, despite suffering from a sore back, so it's hard for me to believe that his back issues are serious enough to make him retire.
There were some games there where he clearly was struggling and was not playing well.

Again when he's healthy, he's very good. I'm not trashing the guy.

I'm just saying when the big boys start having back problems it's the beginning of the end usually.

Of course I'm speculating. It's an internet forum. :-)
[Reply]
O.city 03:06 PM 02-06-2021
I actually like Wylie ok
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:07 PM 02-06-2021
Wylie's played in plenty of high profile games, including the AFC Championship in 2018, 2019 and 2020. He also started in the loss to the Rams, which could have easily been a win for the Chiefs had the ball not bounced the way it did a few times, while they put up 51 points on the board.

I'd rather see Wylie start and if he's injured or ineffective, they can plug in Wiz, who's used to coming off the bench for the Chiefs.

Starting Wiz over Wylie doesn't make much sense from a continuity standpoint, which is something Reid believes is a thing.
however they're practicing is what they should line up as, I'm sure Reid is right.

Wylie's just a less physical player than Wiz and Suh is a monster, and a particularly dirty player as well. That makes me nervous.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:08 PM 02-06-2021
There were some games there where he clearly was struggling and was not playing well.

Again when he's healthy, he's very good. I'm not trashing the guy.

I'm just saying when the big boys start having back problems it's the beginning of the end usually.

Of course I'm speculating. It's an internet forum. :-)
I guess it just depends on his will. If he wants to continue, I'm sure that he can do just that and at a high level again.

His "Watch This!" comment to Osemele earlier in the season indicates to me that he's loving every single minute of blocking for Patrick Mahomes, so I think it's going to take something extremely serious to keep him off the field after his recovery.
[Reply]
O.city 03:10 PM 02-06-2021
I would see if Osemele wants to come back cheap.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:10 PM 02-06-2021
I guess it just depends on his will. If he wants to continue, I'm sure that he can do just that and at a high level again.

His "Watch This!" comment to Osemele earlier in the season indicates to me that he's loving every single minute of blocking for Patrick Mahomes, so I think it's going to take something extremely serious to keep him off the field after his recovery.
I expect him to play again. I'm not even sure we should cut him unless we have to. A restructure and rehab deal and see where he's at when he's ready to play again seems right. He's been a good soldier.

But I think you should hedge your bets. A healthy Fisher will be one of your best 5 undoubtedly.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:12 PM 02-06-2021
and even if Fisher somehow is healthy to play in '21 (which I doubt) what about RT? I think an 'undisclosed back injury' that has kept him out of the last half of the season, all of the play-offs, and the Super Bowl bodes poorly for him to play in '21, don't you?

We need an OT. We're going to have to take one early.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:13 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I would see if Osemele wants to come back cheap.
Where are you going to put him?

Allegretti has locked down the Left Guard position for at minimum, the next two seasons and LDT is set to return to the Right Guard position.

If LDT pulls a 180, then Wylie would continue to start at Right Guard.

I have a hard time believing that Osemele would sit on the bench for Vet Minimum in 2021, especially after the way he performed before tearing up both knees.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 02-06-2021
and even if Fisher somehow is healthy to play in '21 (which I doubt) what about RT? I think an 'undisclosed back injury' that has kept him out of the last half of the season, all of the play-offs, and the Super Bowl bodes poorly for him to play in '21, don't you?

We need an OT. We're going to have to take one early.
They have options.

First off, Schwartz hasn't retired yet. Secondly, they have Lucas Niang, who was a 4 years starter at Right Tackle at Baylor, whom they have for 4 full seasons thanks to his opt-out.

If LDT is back, they could move Wylie out to Right Tackle, where he performed well enough against the Saints and with a full offseason and training camp, could be a long term solution at the position.

They have a world of options without specifically targeting a tackle high in the draft.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:18 PM 02-06-2021

Allegretti has locked down the Left Guard position for at minimum, the next two seasons and LDT is set to return to the Right Guard position.

I have a hard time believing that Osemele would sit on the bench for Vet Minimum in 2021, especially after the way he performed before tearing up both knees.
and it was BOTH knees on a huge man.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:19 PM 02-06-2021
They have options.

First off, Schwartz hasn't retired yet. Secondly, they have Lucas Niang, who was a 4 years starter at Right Tackle at Baylor, whom they have for 4 full seasons thanks to his opt-out.

If LDT is back, they could move Wylie out to Right Tackle, where he performed well enough against the Saints and with a full offseason and training camp, could be a long term solution at the position.

They have a world of options without specifically targeting a tackle high in the draft.
Niang didn't play at Baylor. I like his potential too, but I don't like counting chickens before they're hatched.

You're undervaluing the position.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:20 PM 02-06-2021
and it was BOTH knees on a huge man.
Yeah, there's no guarantee that he'll be fully rehabbed by August, so he may not even play in 2021 unless he's a late season addition.
[Reply]
O.city 03:20 PM 02-06-2021

If he’s as good as he was prior to the knees, put him at LG. It’s a huge upgrade over allegretti (who could move to center?)
[Reply]
O.city 03:23 PM 02-06-2021
I don’t like going into 2021 with the whole right side of the ol not playing football for a year. That’s scary
[Reply]
Page 31 of 40
« First < 212728293031 32333435 > Last »
Up