ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 278 of 484
« First < 178228268274275276277278 279280281282288328378 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***
Chiefspants 10:55 AM 04-05-2017
Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:31 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Tampa, New York and Cleveland all just lost again. If we win still 2 GB. Unreal. We've lost sooo many games recently. Lucky.
I have been saying all season that under .500 or 10 games above doesn't matter that much. 3 games back is still just 3 games back, and really if you had a preference, would you rather be 3 back of the Dodgers or Indians?
[Reply]
lewdog 06:38 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I fully disagree.

Dayton Moore's job may be more difficult but not by much, IMO. He's had a bunch of 1st round flops. Some of his best players have come from trades.

How many Hall of Famers has he drafted?

Carl Peterson drafted not one, not two, but THREE Hall of Famers in Derrick Thomas, Tony Gonzalez and Will Shields, with Jared Allen just waiting around for another 4 years for his induction. Tamba Hali and Jamaal Charles will certainly be in the conversation.

Scott Pioli drafted two possible Hall of Famers in Justin Houston and Eric Berry.

Football is a much different sport than baseball but I'm sorry, I just don't see Dayton Moore as some kind of miracle worker.

I see him more as a guy that got really fucking lucky that his trades bailed out his shitty drafts.

If he can pull it off a second time, I'll certainly revise my opinion.
Dayton Moore decided to construct a team that went against all Sabermetrics, using defense, speed and a shut down pen to make back-to-back World Series.

Carl Peterson spent year having absolutely no vision for team makeup. Taking explosive offensive teams of the early 2000's and pairing them with some of the worst defenses in Chiefs history. The recent current regime taking a decent defense and placing it with an inept offense handicapped by never addressing the QB position in a serious manner.

Give me Dayton Moore every fucking day.

Your homerism for the Chiefs is downright baffling. The NFL has had almost every other NFL team in the past 50 years, outside of a few (Lions/Browns), to make the Super Bowl. This including two expansion teams with more playoff success, one with two Super Bowl appearances in the past 15 years (Panthers). The shitty Jaguars have 5 playoff wins in the past 20 years while the Chiefs have one.

You are continuing to over-value what you think the Chiefs have done and what their management has done for literally decades.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:40 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Give me Dayton Moore every fucking day.

Your homerism for the Chiefs is downright baffling. The NFL has had almost every other NFL team in the past 50 years, outside of a few (Lions/Browns), to make the Super Bowl. This including two expansion teams with more playoff success, one with two Super Bowl appearances in the past 15 years (Panthers). The shitty Jaguars have 5 playoff wins in the past 20 years while the Chiefs have one.

You are continuing to over-value what you think the Chiefs have done and what their management has done for literally decades.
Buddy Bell

Trey Hillman

Shitty draft picks.

Face it: The only reason Dayton Moore was allowed to stick around is because David Glass was cheap as shit.

He was lucky as fuck. Had the Royals not won the Wild Card Game against Oakland, he'd have been gone.

Building a Super Bowl Champion generally relies on ONE player: The Quarterback.

Without a Hall of Fame QB, you're not winning a Super Bowl. You can't just "trade" a Brian Finnegan for a Tom Brady.

Jesus, Lew.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:42 PM 07-19-2017
I fully disagree.

Dayton Moore's job may be more difficult but not by much, IMO. He's had a bunch of 1st round flops. Some of his best players have come from trades.

Carl Peterson drafted not one, not two, but THREE Hall of Famers in Derrick Thomas, Tony Gonzalez and Will Shields, with Jared Allen just waiting around for another 4 years for his induction. Tamba Hali and Jamaal Charles will certainly be in the conversation.

Scott Pioli drafted two possible Hall of Famers in Justin Houston and Eric Berry.

Football is a much different sport than baseball but I'm sorry, I just don't see Dayton Moore as some kind of miracle worker.

I see him more as a guy that got really fucking lucky that his trades bailed out his shitty drafts.

He's had two first-round flops (Ashe Russell and Chris Colon).

To put Russell in perspective, he was viewed as the top HS RHP in that draft. His yips and falling apart are one of the reasons baseball drafting is so much harder.

Moore hasn't hit on every first round pick. But he has hit more often than he has hasn't, and that's tough to do any time.

Baseball is just much tougher. Completely different beast because there is so much left to develop when the players are drafted.

His team's success is a combination of minor league development (from the draft and Latin America), smart complementary signings, and good trade work. There's no one thing to point to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
lewdog 06:42 PM 07-19-2017
Buddy Bell

Trey Hillman

Shitty draft picks.

Face it: The only reason Dayton Moore was allowed to stick around is because David Glass was cheap as shit.

He was lucky as fuck. Had the Royals not won the Wild Card Game against Oakland, he'd have been gone.
I'll take lucky over losing any day.

What's your excuse for the Chiefs?
[Reply]
tk13 06:44 PM 07-19-2017
I fully disagree.

I see him more as a guy that got really ****ing lucky that his trades bailed out his shitty drafts.

To be fair, football has 53 players on the roster, and they induct far more people into the football HOF than the baseball HOF. There have been something like 50 guys inducted into the football HOF this decade. There have been 16 players sent into the baseball HOF.

Either way, the point of the game is to win a championship. I'd trade all of Carl Peterson's hall of famers for a Chiefs world champions t-shirt. The Royals didn't have some fluke year. They've been .500 or better for 4 straight years. Two world series appearances, and the only reason they lost the first one was one of the greatest pitching performances of all time. That's how hard it is to win a title. It's even harder to get back, but they did it. The 90s Indians never did it. The 00 Tigers never did it. The Dodgers haven't done it in 30 years. You don't make excuses for championships. Ever.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:44 PM 07-19-2017
I'll take lucky over losing any day.

What's your excuse for the Chiefs?
No excuse: They've failed to sign or draft a Hall of Fame QB since 1960.

In the Modern Day history of the NFL, 14+ franchises have never won a Super Bowl, nearly half the league.

No excuses necessary.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:45 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Baseball is just much tougher. Completely different beast because there is so much left to develop when the players are drafted.
I don't disagree but Brian Cashman and Theo Epstein have won multiple World Series (as have the Giants and St. Louis).

The Marlins won as an expansion team, tore it down, then won again 7 years later.

I'll revise my opinion on Dayton Moore if he can pull it off again.
[Reply]
tk13 06:47 PM 07-19-2017
I don't disagree but Brian Cashman and Theo Epstein have won multiple World Series (as have the Giants and St. Louis).

I'll revise my opinion on Dayton Moore if he can pull it off again.
You are just being obtuse now. If you think the Royals have equal resources as the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs you are just trolling. This isn't even a legitimate conversation.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:48 PM 07-19-2017
No excuse: They've failed to sign or draft a Hall of Fame QB since 1960.

In the Modern Day history of the NFL, 14+ franchises have never won a Super Bowl, nearly half the league.

No excuses necessary.
Ok. I don't deny some criticism of Moore in certain areas, but you post like those criticisms don't apply to the Chiefs for some reason.

If that's not the case, then I stand corrected. I also realize you like football more than baseball and I'm the opposite. That likely has to do with how we view each team.

xoxo
Hugs
Lewdog
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:48 PM 07-19-2017
Dane is a fucking moron when it comes to baseball.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:52 PM 07-19-2017

Building a Super Bowl Champion generally relies on ONE player: The Quarterback.

Without a Hall of Fame QB, you're not winning a Super Bowl. You can't just "trade" a Brian Finnegan for a Tom Brady.

Jesus, Lew.
So you admit Peterson was a shitty drafter since he never drafted the "most important position in football?" Instead constructing teams without the most important piece and trading for has been re-treads? Sounds like a douche drafter to me.

You honestly just made the argument for me.

Jesus, Dane.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:53 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Dane is a fucking moron when it comes to baseball.
Yeah, because I don't kiss the ass of Dayton Moore?

:-)

John Schuerholz was amazing.

Dayton Moore was the recipient of good fortune.

Who the fuck hires Buddy Bell? Trey Hillman?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:55 PM 07-19-2017
So you admit Peterson was a shitty drafter since he never drafted the "most important position in football?" Instead constructing teams without the most important piece and trading for has been re-treads? Sounds like a douche drafter to me.

You honestly just made the argument for me.

Jesus, Dane.
I would say that drafting a Hall of Fame QB is much more difficult than drafting an average pitcher that can eat innings.

Or drafting a guy like Grienke, which Dayton Moore did not, or a guy like Mad Bum, which Dayton Moore did not.

But all things being equal, drafting a Hall of Fame QB is far more difficult than drafting a "good" MLB pitcher.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:56 PM 07-19-2017
Yeah, because I don't kiss the ass of Dayton Moore?

:-)

John Schuerholz was amazing.

Dayton Moore was the recipient of good fortune.

Who the fuck hires Buddy Bell? Trey Hillman?
Herm Edwards.

Gunther.
[Reply]
Page 278 of 484
« First < 178228268274275276277278 279280281282288328378 > Last »
Up