ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Alex Smith announces retirement
-King- 09:57 AM 04-19-2021
:-)FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
:-)FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank">
:-)3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram

:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Elizabeth Smith (@lizbsmith11)

[Reply]
Bearcat 03:23 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
But generally speaking, give me the puncher's chance over that losing season shit. Just make it to the postseason and anything can happen.
Except, it doesn't.... or hasn't in the AFC for the past couple decades.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 03:26 PM 04-19-2021
Alex was a good player but even a better man. He was all class. He's a winner. He is the standard for how you groom a young super star, our Patrick Mahomes. That's not an easy pill to swallow but took on the role like a champ.

Best of luck, Alex. Thank you.
[Reply]
dls6501 03:29 PM 04-19-2021
I am all for giving Alex his props for persevering and having a decent career. I am not ok with romanticizing his career and pumping him up to be something he is/was not.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:45 PM 04-19-2021
Reid said at his press conference that if he wants to get into coaching, he has first dibs.

Mahomes has been really cool to Alex about giving him props about understanding how to read defenses and play the QB at the NFL level. No way it was just him saying nice things about the previous guy while he took his job.

He didn’t have the natural talent to play at the elite level in the NFL. But, he did maximize the talent he was born with. He will make a great coach.
[Reply]
PHOG 03:48 PM 04-19-2021
Keep exorcising that leg :-)
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:50 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Mahomes has been really cool to Alex about giving him props about understanding how to read defenses and play the QB at the NFL level. .

No way it was just him saying nice things about the previous guy while he took his job.

This is the kind of thing I disagree with. It absolutely was him being nice. Most of what mahomes does
(vision, quick thought process, rocket arm / ball velocity, accuracy, the winning/killer instinct) just can't be taught by someone
while you're holding a clip board. I am willing to give credit where credit is due (not being a dick,
helping with the transition etc...) but just from seeing mahomes in pre-season after we drafted
him and knowing what he has physically/mentally.. My thought is that even if alex was a dick (he wasn't, kadoos to him)
mahomes would still be the best QB in the NFL and would have been able to play at the elite NFL level
..because of the unteachables.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 03:57 PM 04-19-2021
after some of the crap QBs we had to suffer through, Alex WAS a professional, didnt evade accountability/throw teammates under the bus, etc. etc.

Was he Mahomes or Rodgers, nope.....but we've certainly had worse.

Seems like a good guy, and a helluva comeback story. Vaya Con Dios Mr Smith.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:00 PM 04-19-2021
I heard Andy talking about how he would love to have him back as a coach.

God no, please god no. Don't do it. Great guy, great teammate. Holy shit can you imagine him as a coach? No no no Patrick, you don't want to try the more risky throw downfield on 3rd and 15 we want to have you run it 9 yards and out of bounds to set up a good punt and flip the field position. You don't want to risk an incompletion and a turn over.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:04 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
The funny thing is i ABSOLUTELY used to feel that way but the years of Marty and decent teams beat that notion out of my head.
Basically decades of fielding good solid teams with backup QB's and seeing the futility of it all....
I'm pretty convinced now that maybe there are a few exceptions but basically you need a premier QB to have a real shot to win it all.
Agreed.

Just saying, we went from the perennial playoff punching bag to elite, budding dynasty seamlessly. The idea that we needed to have some 4-12 seasons thrown in between is an incorrect one.

Knowing that, I'd rather have the winning season she to bide my time until the right QB comes along.

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Your last sentence sounds great in theory.

But your second sentence all but precludes that last sentence from being true.

In other words, after 50 years of getting to the playoffs and losing, it got to the point where I never even felt we had a puncher's chance. Going into a first round playoff game, the expectation was always that we'd lose, probably from 2003 on, for me.
Eh, it can happen. Brady's first three Super Bowls come to mind, as does Russell Wilson's one and only. 2007 and 2011 for the Giants. 2017 Eagles. 2012 Ravens.

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time thinking about it, but the 2019 49ers and 2017 Vikings came close. None of those teams had premier QBs at the time.

Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Except, it doesn't.... or hasn't in the AFC for the past couple decades.
Kind of a weird time in the AFC having the two QBs with the greatest claim to GOAT status playing at the same time. Now it looks like Mahomes is picking up where Brady and Manning left off..
[Reply]
-King- 04:09 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I heard Andy talking about how he would love to have him back as a coach.

God no, please god no. Don't do it. Great guy, great teammate. Holy shit can you imagine him as a coach? No no no Patrick, you don't want to try the more risky throw downfield on 3rd and 15 we want to have you run it 9 yards and out of bounds to set up a good punt and flip the field position. You don't want to risk an incompletion and a turn over.
Why do people say this stupid shit? You really think people coach exactly how they played? If that was the case, Reid would be coaching Mahomes to eat a cheese burger in between plays.

A lot of players lack the talent or confidence to make some plays. That doesn't mean they don't know that the play is there to be made or that they would coach others not to make a play. I mean what do you think Kafka coaches Mahomes to do if coaching has anything to do with how you played?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:19 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
This is the kind of thing I disagree with. It absolutely was him being nice. Most of what mahomes does
(vision, quick thought process, rocket arm / ball velocity, accuracy, the winning/killer instinct) just can't be taught by someone
while you're holding a clip board. I am willing to give credit where credit is due (not being a dick,
helping with the transition etc...) but just from seeing mahomes in pre-season after we drafted
him and knowing what he has physically/mentally.. My thought is that even if alex was a dick (he wasn't, kadoos to him)
mahomes would still be the best QB in the NFL and would have been able to play at the elite NFL level
..because of the unteachables.
dude come on, it’s a given on Mahomes natural talent. When have we ever seen a QB falling down, perpendicular to the ground throw an accurate ball 30 yards down field, split defenders and hit his guy in the face mask? That’s once in a generation you have to be born with talent.

Just because Smith didn’t have that talent doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a great coach. Or he didn’t “really” help Mahomes.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:22 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Why do people say this stupid shit? You really think people coach exactly how they played? If that was the case, Reid would be coaching Mahomes to eat a cheese burger in between plays.

A lot of players lack the talent or confidence to make some plays. That doesn't mean they don't know that the play is there to be made or that they would coach others not to make a play. I mean what do you think Kafka coaches Mahomes to do if coaching has anything to do with how you played?
If he wouldn't coach that way, why would he play exactly that way? I've never seen a player as talented as Alex Smith (he was yanno, the 1st overall pick in the draft) be completely as risk adverse as he was. There wasn't anything more he loved to do than to pick up garbage yards on 3rd down with no intention ever of getting to the sticks.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 04:39 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
dude come on, it’s a given on Mahomes natural talent. When have we ever seen a QB falling down, perpendicular to the ground throw an accurate ball 30 yards down field, split defenders and hit his guy in the face mask? That’s once in a generation you have to be born with talent.

Just because Smith didn’t have that talent doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a great coach. Or he didn’t “really” help Mahomes.

i didn't say he wouldnt be a great coach or that he wasn't "helpful" or whatever. I mean maybe he would maybe he wouldnt be a great coach
, thats not the point of what I wrote.
WHat I am saying is that whatever "coaching" alex did with smith wasn't make it or break it for Mahomes. What you posted
(that I quoted) makes it seem like without Smith, mahomes wasn't ready for the NFL. I posted why I disagreed. Like the
pre-season games. The kid was READY. Am I glad we waited a year? Sure. I personally do not think it mattered THAT
much as some people (alexians mainly) would like to over-state.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 04:55 PM 04-19-2021
Good for him, great guy.
[Reply]
wazu 05:02 PM 04-19-2021
Glad he's retired, and that he did it mostly on his own terms. His comeback will largely define his legacy. Good quarterback, great human being.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up