ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you own an Electric car or plan to buy one
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:14 PM 02-17-2021
I plan to get one in the future, what are your plans?

If so what are your pluses or minuses ?
[Reply]
Nirvana58 02:18 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The only thing, and I mean only thing that is superior about an ICE is how quick it is to just get gas on long trips.

Having an EV if you rarely take long trips is actually better as you never have to go to the gas station. But if they could ever figure out how to charge ur battery in less than 10 minutes fully it would be a game changer for EVs.
It's coming quick. I believe the new Lucid air can charge 300 miles in 20 minutes with the right charger.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:43 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by backinblack:
and the manual transmission

but you go ahead and eat gummy bears like the 6 year old that you are while you should be concentrating on the road princess.
Nah. I fiddle with my phone all the time on auto pilot. Dont care.

Not the best idea but my car doesn't get drivet fatigue like I do.
[Reply]
oldman 09:01 AM 02-21-2021
Just a few questions for those that have them. How long does it take to charge at home? I see some people talking about charging stations, but how long do those take? What's the cost, both at home and on the road?
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 09:13 AM 02-21-2021
I'm awaiting delivery of a supercharged V8 Ram TRX. I ordered it back in August because I know the days are numbered for combustion V8's and I wanted to get one while I could. EV technology isn't there yet. Can you freaking imagine taking a cross country trip and having to stop and charge for an hour every three hours or so?! I'd be so pissed. With all of that said, I just added onto my garage to make it a four car garage and I asked them to add electric charging ports in all four bays when they come back to do the inside finish work. It's inevitable that I'll eventually own EV's.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:16 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
Just a few questions for those that have them. How long does it take to charge at home? I see some people talking about charging stations, but how long do those take? What's the cost, both at home and on the road?
I just charge mine overnight. If you are literally going from zero to full, it's about 8 hours for mine, but 90% of the time I'm just topping off from the day's driving.

Fast chargers are more like 0-80% in half an hour. (The final 20% goes a little slower to prolong battery life.)

Mind you all of this is for a 2018 Nissan Leaf. There's a lot of variation.

As for home equipment, I had a 50 amp outlet installed in my garage (like a dryer outlet), which cost about $600. My charger came with the car, but I think they run $500ish otherwise.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:27 AM 02-21-2021
What's the life expectancy of the batteries? Are they replaceable? How much?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:44 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
It's a tricky question. The batteries are like your cell phone. They don't just randomly die, but they do lose capacity. Most of them come with a reasonable warranty (believe mine is 80%+ for 80k miles).

All this stuff is definitely complicated though. Every car is a little different. Tesla says their batteries are good for 300-500k miles, but again, that's not literally at 100% capacity.

They're technically replaceable, but they're not cheap.
[Reply]
synthesis2 10:50 AM 02-21-2021
Yes we own a 2020 Tesla model 3 all wheel drive long range version.

Its the wife's car and she said unless we can't afford it in the future its the only car company she wants to drive now.

Saves us way more money than the Porsche that she had before.

Had for a year now and basically about a $10-20 bump per month in electricity vs. $200-250 in gas plus her $500 oil changes ( Porsche)

Plus adds new features every couple months, its amazing.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:12 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Can anyone confirm or deny this report?

“ Parts and labor combined, it costs almost $16,000 to replace a Tesla Model 3 battery pack.

Breaking it down, Tesla shop rates may vary from location to location, but the location this was performed at runs $175 per hour, meaning the battery replacement job is estimated to take a little over 13 hours.

For the battery pack, the $13,500 customer price isn’t exactly indicative of the Tesla’s cost to build one either, there could be a margin on the part to help cover costs or create profit. Additionally, there’s an important three-letter code present on the battery line-item: RMN, short for remanufactured.”

https://www.currentautomotive.com/ho...lacement-cost/
[Reply]
DaFace 02:35 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Can anyone confirm or deny this report?

“ Parts and labor combined, it costs almost $16,000 to replace a Tesla Model 3 battery pack.

Breaking it down, Tesla shop rates may vary from location to location, but the location this was performed at runs $175 per hour, meaning the battery replacement job is estimated to take a little over 13 hours.

For the battery pack, the $13,500 customer price isn’t exactly indicative of the Tesla’s cost to build one either, there could be a margin on the part to help cover costs or create profit. Additionally, there’s an important three-letter code present on the battery line-item: RMN, short for remanufactured.”

https://www.currentautomotive.com/ho...lacement-cost/
It's probably accurate. I don't know how much I'd care (not like I price out replacing the drive train in an ICE car before I buy it), but like I said, they aren't cheap.
[Reply]
Paniero 03:43 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by backinblack:
and the manual transmission

but you go ahead and eat gummy bears like the 6 year old that you are while you should be concentrating on the road princess.
Manual transmission is antiquated, much like the goatee you likely have.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 04:11 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by Paniero:
Not really antiquated, but I would say they fall under inconvenience to most people.

It takes automatic transmissions 8-10 gears to match up to the fuel mileage of a 5-6 speed gets. They are much simpler to fix, way cheaper to fix, last just as long, don’t need a standalone controller to run.

I would take a manual over an auto 95% of the time, only time I prefer auto is stand still traffic
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:30 PM 02-21-2021
Just curious for those of you that own or are in the know, how does the warning system work for low battery? I'm sure there's a gauge but like my Ram truck has a low fuel light that says you gotta get gas. So does it give you a warning light like that and how many miles do you have to find a supply?

And what happens if you run it dead on the highway? You can't just jump start??? Is there a truck that comes along with a charger???
[Reply]
vailpass 04:31 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's probably accurate. I don't know how much I'd care (not like I price out replacing the drive train in an ICE car before I buy it), but like I said, they aren't cheap.
Thank you. I’m trying to think of a single part in an ICE vehicle that would incur a comparable charge. You’d probably also have to compare probability of failure for that part vs. probability of battery failure for this Tesla model to get closer to a valid comparison.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:33 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by Paniero:
I take it you you don’t drive sports cars, muscle cars, off-road Jeeps, or any other vehicle that is more effective or fun with a manual.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up