ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 19
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you own an Electric car or plan to buy one
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:14 PM 02-17-2021
I plan to get one in the future, what are your plans?

If so what are your pluses or minuses ?
[Reply]
mlyonsd 04:37 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
Not really antiquated, but I would say they fall under inconvenience to most people.

It takes automatic transmissions 8-10 gears to match up to the fuel mileage of a 5-6 speed gets. They are much simpler to fix, way cheaper to fix, last just as long, don’t need a standalone controller to run.

I would take a manual over an auto 95% of the time, only time I prefer auto is stand still traffic
I love my little work car, 2007 cobalt. I ordered it with a manual transmission because I like to drive a stick and thought the transmission would last longer. Still going with 284k miles.
[Reply]
MagicHef 04:37 PM 02-21-2021
I prefer manual over auto, but I’ve come to realize that a big part of what I enjoy is the feeling of the engine being firmly connected to the wheels. I have a CVT in my company car and I absolutely hate it, any normal auto is much better in terms of enjoyable driving. I’m curious how a fully electric car feels in terms of my right foot being connected to what is happening with the wheels.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:23 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by Paniero:
Manual transmission is antiquated
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 06:37 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thank you. I’m trying to think of a single part in an ICE vehicle that would incur a comparable charge. You’d probably also have to compare probability of failure for that part vs. probability of battery failure for this Tesla model to get closer to a valid comparison.
Yeah, I dunno. In making the comparison, keep in mind that it's a premium car. I'd guess that replacing an engine in a Beemer wouldn't be cheap. Probably not at that level though.

Again, it's highly unlikely that the battery would "go bad," so it's not something many people would consider replacing. It might lose so much range that it no longer fits your use case, though.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:50 AM 02-22-2021
Manual transmission is antiquated, much like the goatee you likely have.
Wtf?:-)
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 05:25 AM 02-22-2021
Yes! My next car will either be a Tesla 3 or Jeep 4xe!

Mainly, I just like the idea of not having to bother with the gas station ever again.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:02 AM 02-22-2021
So... Tesla's electric car is basically like the iPhone compared to flip phones back in the early 2000's. Far superior Technology than anything on the road and the Tesla 3 is reasonably priced at ~$37k. Tesla's are amongst the safest cars on the road and their self-driving tech sets them apart from any other product on the market. The addition of Tesla Insurance and Tesla Taxi will also be disruptive and further distinguish them.

I think electric cars were an incredible innovation but self-driving tech is just as impressive an accomplishment. I believe self-driving cars will eventually become standard in the city, allowing the elderly, young children, handicapped, and even the inebriated to ride safely.

So... I think it's kind of funny when people resist a clear paradigm shift in technology based on emotional response or worse, political affiliation, without objectively considering how much of an improvement the product is over the previous. Don't get me wrong, I understand Tesla doesn't fit everyone's scenario but the product is pretty damn impressive and there's no reason to throw shade.

IE: My father called me from FL and asked about EV. I excitedly told him about the amazing features on Tesla. His response was "Yeah, but we're not set up for EVs yet and damn government trying to...blah blah blah...where would I even fill one up our gas stations don't have electric hookups?" lolololol "Dad, google maps tells me there are 35 locations in your small town to charge an electric vehicle and most people actually charge them at home in the garage." Well, that went over alright but when I told him about self-driving he was so worried he called his ex-wife and I got a call from my mother to make sure I wasn't "driving my car with my iPhone" lolololol ...something got lost in translation there.

Long story short I think it's an incredible technology and if I end up buying one I can't wait to show off the features to my boomer parents.
[Reply]
backinblack 07:23 AM 02-22-2021
second part of the post doesn't even make sense, nice try though I guess(?), but it's remarkable an "antiquated" piece of technology is still preferred by enthusiasts and competitors and people that actually enjoy the act of driving. In that regard I'd say manual transmissions are just as timeless now as they were 100 years ago.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:41 AM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's a tricky question. The batteries are like your cell phone. They don't just randomly die, but they do lose capacity. Most of them come with a reasonable warranty (believe mine is 80%+ for 80k miles).

All this stuff is definitely complicated though. Every car is a little different. Tesla says their batteries are good for 300-500k miles, but again, that's not literally at 100% capacity.

They're technically replaceable, but they're not cheap.
Not sure if they have enough real world data yet? How many Tesla cars have 300-500k miles?

I would think most people would just buy a new car anyway by the time the battery is gone. considering the cost to replace a battery.
[Reply]
philfree 10:20 AM 02-22-2021
The transmission in the Vettes are pretty cool. Automatic with a Manual setting so you can shift using the paddle shifters. The more you drive it the more you find yourself in Manual running through the gears.

And I like my goat.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:49 AM 02-22-2021
Manual Transmission is technically outdated and inferior in power delivery and economy to most modern transmissions. But the point isn't efficiency; it's in the fun of rowing your gears and having on demand control of where you want to be in the powerband.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:46 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Mainly, I just like the idea of not having to bother with the gas station ever again.
There is certainly a far far far smaller chance you'll be bothered with charging stations, that's for sure.
[Reply]
Graystoke 02:49 PM 02-22-2021
I would love to test ride an Electric Motorcycle.
The Harley Livewire looks like fun and for pure speed the Lightning LS-218 capable of 218mph sounds like a riot.
That would be as close to pavement flying you could get. No noise, all acceleration!

Prices though make it pretty poor considering motorcycles don't sip fuel all that much.
But it would be interesting to try one out.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:09 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by backinblack:
second part of the post doesn't even make sense, nice try though I guess(?), but it's remarkable an "antiquated" piece of technology is still preferred by enthusiasts and competitors and people that actually enjoy the act of driving. In that regard I'd say manual transmissions are just as timeless now as they were 100 years ago.
"put it in second and pop the clutch"

breathing fire!
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:20 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
I would love to test ride an Electric Motorcycle.
The Harley Livewire looks like fun and for pure speed the Lightning LS-218 capable of 218mph sounds like a riot.
That would be as close to pavement flying you could get. No noise, all acceleration!

Prices though make it pretty poor considering motorcycles don't sip fuel all that much.
But it would be interesting to try one out.
Do you think that will catch on? I don’t see an electric bike matching with the Harley culture at all.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 19
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up