ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 13
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:57 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I'm just curious, how did they ship it?

Was the GPU installed? Did they use any of the hardening packing shit stuffed inside the case?
I ordered a prebuilt from NZXT with a 3080 back in November. They ship it with that tank of a card already installed. Huge strain on the pcie slot. Damn thing wouldn't post. After a little back and forth with their help team I sent the thing back. No way I'm paying over $2k and being anything less than thrilled with it. Downside is now I'm sitting here with my thumb up my ass waiting to get a 3080 to add to my build.

Here's a pic. The white bag is molding packing foam. Black bag under the gpu is psu cables, etc. That's all they had supporting that heavy card.

[Reply]
vailpass 02:59 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
The GPU was already installed. It did have the hardening pillow type packaging inside the case. Apparently they have enough issues with the GPU's getting unseated that they created a video to show how to remove and replace it.

The monitor is old, he bought a new one to go with the new computer, but it hasn't arrived yet. He has been using this monitor with his current computer, so it definitely works.
Did the NZXT help team have your son check the motherboard to see which trouble lights were lit up?
[Reply]
TambaBerry 03:13 PM 03-06-2021
I wouldn't ever buy a prebuilt I've been seeing a lot of posts from people where they had the plastic still on between the heatsink and cpu.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 04:17 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Did the NZXT help team have your son check the motherboard to see which trouble lights were lit up?
No, they didn't.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:37 PM 03-06-2021
No, they didn't.
There are lights on the motherboard that will tell you what isn't working. CPU,GPU, RAM,

Look at the motherboard to see if you can see them. You can look up the manual for your motherboard to tell you where those lights are. If you can't find them come back here and tell us, someone here will help you find them.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:38 PM 03-06-2021
My 2015 i-4790k Studio Computer is ready for replacement. I'm not a gamer, nor will this computer be running anything other than Cubase 10.5, hundreds of VST plugins, 360 Office Suite and an internet browser.

The main reason for the new computer is to finally use the Thunderbolt option on my audio interface, which will greatly improve the overall performance the PC.

AMD isn't playing well with Thunderbolt so I have to go Intel. Here's what I have planned so far and any input or suggestions would be greatly welcome and appreciated!

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i9-10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
64gb Corsair Vengeance
Thermaltake 850 watt PS
Rosewell Server Chassis
Noctua NH-D15s Fan
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Samsung NVMe 500 GB
StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 06:24 PM 03-06-2021
Thanks Fish! Is there any certain brand of power supply that you would recommend or any brands to stay away from?
See if your son has has a friend with a working GPU and new monitor, plug your pc into the new monitor. If it works you found your problem, if it doesn’t try the friends GPU, if that works you know your problem. If neither works, light it on fire.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:37 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
See if your son has has a friend with a working GPU and new monitor, plug your pc into the new monitor. If it works you found your problem, if it doesn’t try the friends GPU, if that works you know your problem. If neither works, light it on fire.
Solid advice with a surprise ending!:-)

I’d like to know what his mobo error lights are showing first.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 07:02 PM 03-06-2021

it might not have the lights, if im not mistaken some mobos dont have those
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 07:30 PM 03-06-2021

I'm not sure if it has lights on the motherboard or not. We unplugged the new PC and set up his old computer back up to play games until NZXT Tech Support is back in on Monday.
If I get some time tomorrow, I'll plug it back in and see if I can see any error lights.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:33 PM 03-06-2021
No, they didn't.
See the number 22 on the lower right hand side of the diagram below? Those four lights are your error indicators. Are any of them lit up when you power on the PC?

[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 07:34 PM 03-06-2021
We did think we had it working earlier. I took the GPU out again and put it back and it turned on and it stayed on long enough to download some games, etc. then boom, the green lines just appeared out of nowhere and the screen went blank.
We tried rebooting, several times and each time got the same green lines, then blank screens.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:36 PM 03-06-2021
green lines does smell like a GPU issue to me, but hardly ever are GPUs bad.

Does it only have one RAM stick? If not, try it with only one, and then the other one, and see if problems persist. RAM issues can take all sorts of forms.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:37 PM 03-06-2021
We did think we had it working earlier. I took the GPU out again and put it back and it turned on and it stayed on long enough to download some games, etc. then boom, the green lines just appeared out of nowhere and the screen went blank.
We tried rebooting, several times and each time got the same green lines, then blank screens.
See post 56. Do you have any of those four lights lit up on the motherboard?
[Reply]
vailpass 07:43 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
green lines does smell like a GPU issue to me, but hardly ever are GPUs bad.

Does it only have one RAM stick? If not, try it with only one, and then the other one, and see if problems persist. RAM issues can take all sorts of forms.
Could they have his RAM in the wrong slots? Here is the configuration from his mobo manual:

[Reply]
Page 4 of 13
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up