ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 210 of 219
« First < 110160200206207208209210 211212213214 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
Fish 12:30 AM 11-25-2020
What Does a Nuclear Bomb Explosion Feel Like?

Some chilling first-hand reports from British veterans that were part of the first military nuclear tests. Not told what exactly they were participating in. ~3:30 is scary stuff...

[Reply]
srvy 01:12 AM 11-25-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Why Are Blueprints Blue?

Technical drawings of architectural or engineering designs always seem to consist of white images and text on blue paper. Why?

It’s because of how those documents are made. The blueprinting process was developed in the mid-1800s, when scientists discovered that ammonium iron citrate and potassium ferrocyanide created a photosensitive solution that could be used for reproducing documents.

The process goes like this: Someone creates a drawing on translucent tracing paper or cloth. The drawing is placed over a piece of blueprinting paper, which has been coated with a mix of ammonium iron citrate and potassium ferrocyanide from an aqueous solution and dried. When the two papers are exposed to a bright light, the two chemicals react to form an insoluble blue compound called blue ferric ferrocyanide (also known as Prussian Blue), except where the blueprinting paper was covered, and the light blocked, by the lines of the original drawing. After the paper is washed and dried to keep those lines from exposing, you’re left with a negative image of white (or whatever color the blueprint paper originally was) against a dark blue background.

The technique was faster and more cost-effective than hand-tracing original documents, and caught on as an easy, inexpensive way to reproduce drawings and texts. After carbon copying and copier machines took on that job for smaller documents, architects, engineers and shipwrights continued to use blueprinting to copy their large-scale drawings. More recently, the diazo whiteprint process and large-format xerographic photocopiers have largely replaced blueprinting even for these specialized purposes, and many “blueprints” are now black or grey lines on a white background. Xerograph just doesn't have the same ring as blueprint for a shorthand description for a master plan, though.
Hardly anyone uses blueprinting now.
[Reply]
Otter 03:32 AM 11-29-2020
Originally Posted by :
A Beaver Full Moon lunar eclipse occurs Monday. Here's what to expect.
Click on the link for this one. Too many cool illustrations for text.

https://www.space.com/beaver-moon-lu...what-to-expect
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:28 AM 11-29-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
In my personal version of buggy-whip making, I took drafting every semester in HS, and by third-year we were instructed and authorized to create blueprints of our work.

CAD existed but computers were still in the Commodore 64, IBM 8088 stage, so it was still a couple of years from being practical for instruction, so I got NONE of it.

I try to salve the pain of obsolescence by telling myself that knowing the hands-on practices of observation, measurement, and communication still retains value.
[Reply]
Fish 12:48 AM 12-03-2020
This Is How Jawbreakers Are Made from r/Damnthatsinteresting

[Reply]
Otter 01:52 PM 12-03-2020

[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:19 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
It’s been 7 years, but the last 4 I was involved in all used blueprints. I hated the digital versions.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:54 PM 12-05-2020
From your pocket

[Reply]
Fish 01:57 AM 01-03-2021
Jupiter is so fucking huge, your mom can actually feel it...

This is what Jupiter would look like if it were as close as the moon.

[Reply]
Fish 02:00 AM 01-03-2021
This is what Saturn would look like if it was close as the moon...

[Reply]
Otter 08:48 AM 01-03-2021
While I may enjoy Jupiter's ever present & foreboding gaze I find Saturn much more easy to take day to day and much less intimidating.

I for one welcome our new Saturn overlord. :-)

The sacrifices shall commence!
[Reply]
Fish 04:43 AM 01-21-2021
Gorilla uses sign language to tell visitors that he's not allowed to accept food from them....

[Reply]
Fish 04:46 AM 01-21-2021
The amount of time you have to escape a house fire has greatly decreased in the past few decades:

30 years ago you had about 15 to 17 minutes to escape a house fire.
Today, you have about 3 to 5 minutes to escape a house fire.

The reason the time to escape a home fire has decreased so much relates to changes in the types of furniture and other contents in today’s homes, including more plastics and petroleum based products. Changes in how homes are designed (open floor plans, larger rooms and higher ceilings) have also changed the chemical composition of the fire and greatly increased the speed at which it grows.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:16 AM 01-21-2021
The amount of time you have to escape a house fire has greatly decreased in the past few decades:

30 years ago you had about 15 to 17 minutes to escape a house fire.
Today, you have about 3 to 5 minutes to escape a house fire.

The reason the time to escape a home fire has decreased so much relates to changes in the types of furniture and other contents in today’s homes, including more plastics and petroleum based products. Changes in how homes are designed (open floor plans, larger rooms and higher ceilings) have also changed the chemical composition of the fire and greatly increased the speed at which it grows.
I'd guess building materials have changed, too. Lots of hollow walls with nothing but 2x4s and drywall today where you'd often see brick, plaster, or wood paneling in older homes.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:00 AM 01-21-2021
Gorilla uses sign language to tell visitors that he's not allowed to accept food from them....

Awwww he's even making a sad face.
[Reply]
Page 210 of 219
« First < 110160200206207208209210 211212213214 > Last »
Up