ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
Fish 08:37 PM 04-12-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
This gives me terrible anxiety.... :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 12:09 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This has been an unadulterated nightmare.

Not only was the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D defective, the Samsung 980 NVMe drive is defective as well. I've had errors with Windows 10 Pro all week and had to reload the operation system 4 times. I've spent more than 10 hours on with Microsoft Support and while I thought it was "fixed" Wednesday evening, it wouldn't even boot today. And unfortunately, this is after I spent about 20 hours installing all of my necessary software.

My old drive is working on the computer (which is what I'm using right now) but it's only 250 GB, so I ordered another NVMe drive that will arrive tomorrow. I've wasted six days of my life trying to get this to work and either failure rate is higher than ever or I'm just having the worst luck of all time but either way, this has been a very, very discouraging experience.

I hope this computer, once it's finally working properly, will last me 6 years because I cannot imagine going through this process again any time soon.
Damn man. Have you broken any mirrors, walked under a ladder, or had a bunch of black cats cross your path lately?
[Reply]
vailpass 12:10 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
This gives me terrible anxiety.... :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Up