ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson in his prime?
Bruce Lee 264 62.56%
Mike Tyson 158 37.44%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll
Page 28 of 82
« First < 182425262728 293031323878 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Who Would Win in a Fight Between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson?
rico 04:37 PM 03-17-2012
Alright Planeteers, I've been arguing on message boards with people about this off and on for a couple years now and I want to get CP's input on it. The question is this: Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson in his prime? Let's hear it!
[Reply]
rico 01:42 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by crazycoffey:
You haven't done your research, I can tell. Love you bro muthusious, loved watching Tyson box too. BL was a fighter, studied and mastered most forms of stratigic fighting, from boxing to fencing, used elements of all to form his own evolving ethos. And despite his cockiness persona was humble underneath. Took his knowledge into practice/training, knew more ways to kill a man than anyone. Yes, he made money in the films, but he was tested in many environments too. A straight boxing match would be Tyson's only hope of beating BL. But that's. It what you asked.....
Dude, dude, dude....I've done more research on Bruce Lee than I ever wanted... his accolades, style, myths of actual street fights, techniques, etc. have been pounded in my head since I was a little kid by my dad and his brothers... I mean, we can't have a Christmas gathering where Bruce Lee isn't spoken about for like...15-30 minutes. Along with that, I've done my own, independent research as well. I just think his status is just...mythical. I tell my family about this and it becomes a huge debate for the night similar to how we've been debating on here. It's pretty fun.

Tyson, along with being a relentless freaking chimpanzee (chimps are pretty tough) would just be way, way too big AND skilled for HolLeewood.

If I were you, I'd rather run down Bruce Lee for stealing an old lady's purse than run down Mike Tyson if he did the same thing (and probably has many times in his day).
[Reply]
crazycoffey 03:18 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by rico:
Dude, dude, dude....I've done more research on Bruce Lee than I ever wanted... his accolades, style, myths of actual street fights, techniques, etc. have been pounded in my head since I was a little kid by my dad and his brothers... I mean, we can't have a Christmas gathering where Bruce Lee isn't spoken about for like...15-30 minutes. Along with that, I've done my own, independent research as well. I just think his status is just...mythical. I tell my family about this and it becomes a huge debate for the night similar to how we've been debating on here. It's pretty fun.

Tyson, along with being a relentless freaking chimpanzee (chimps are pretty tough) would just be way, way too big AND skilled for HolLeewood.

If I were you, I'd rather run down Bruce Lee for stealing an old lady's purse than run down Mike Tyson if he did the same thing (and probably has many times in his day).
The needles from my taser would work magic on Tyson's meaty body, he'd twitch for 7seconds and be MY bitch.

The "myth" of BL was born out of truths! You, kind sir, have been pointing your biased finger the wrong direction. You look for frailty in a great fighter because you grew up hearing about him. Now you want to debunk that "mystic" because you didn't see it?
[Reply]
mike_b_284 10:12 AM 01-30-2014
The fact that their respective styles of fighting are so different makes it hard to say. the use of kicks and limb and body grappling in martial arts certainly complicates matters.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 10:15 AM 01-30-2014
Gotta go Tyson here.

Tyson was big, built like a tank, and could deliver crushing physical blows.

Lee was a small guy, really fast, and while he might be able to hit Tyson quickly with small flurries, his strikes simply wouldn't generate the damage required to win the fight before Tyson delivered punishment Lee could not withstand.

Unless Bruce Lee was able to somehow defeat Tyson without ever being dealt a blow, I don't think he wins.

All this business about being able to break boards and such with his strikes doesn't really apply when you fight people. People are built differently than boards, and what's more, in Bruce Lee's own words "Boards don't fight back".

I figure the fight goes down with Tyson absorbing Lee's offense, and Lee is unable to do the same when on the receiving end of what Tyson could dish out. Tyson hits with so much pure force and followthrough that Lee's small frame simply could not withstand, no matter how much determination Lee had.

Many people think of Tyson as this big, lumbering, brute when they think of how fast Bruce Lee was. Tyson wasn't a slouch though. He was big, and he was damned fast and powerful. He wasn't as fast as Lee, no, but he wasn't just some lumbering ogre that would be helpless against the speed Lee possessed.
[Reply]
mike_b_284 10:21 AM 01-30-2014
someone said lees attacks would "bounce off tyson". I wouldn't go that far. What a true expert of asian martial arts lacks in size/power, they can certainly compensate for with the knowledge how to deconstruct the human body (attacking tendons, arteries, nerves, etc). My uncle practiced and taught for 20+ years and has a huge collection of manuals and books. It is always interesting to flip through them, I estimate more than half of the text was about human anatomy.
[Reply]
mike_b_284 10:28 AM 01-30-2014
Combine that knowledge with (from what I understand) Lee's almost maniacal work ethic and you have a dangerous human being.

Not saying he would win. Tyson was a beast, I grew up watching his fights in the late 80's. Crazy fast, powerful. I remember how he completely dominated people. I'm just saying, it might not be as one-sided as you think.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:36 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by penchief:
Tyson was the most overhyped overrated boxer ever. Dude never fought anyone and when he finally did he got ass kicked. Dodged Holyfield until he had no choice but to fight him.
:-)
[Reply]
blaise 10:38 AM 01-30-2014
Yet he still would have knocked Bruce Lee clean out.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:40 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Wushu is more about showmanship than actual fighting. Jet Li is hella entertaining, but his art doesn't have a whole lot of practical merit when compared to boxing.
Jet Li was a world champ for over 10 years. He would beat Tyson's ass too.

I think if someone can kick you in the face 5 times in less than 3 seconds-that would count as pratical merit.
[Reply]
Kylo Ren 10:42 AM 01-30-2014
Tyson only needs to catch him with ONE punch. If Tyson can stand Lee's initial flurry, I'd say Tyson would win.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:47 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by mike_b_284:
someone said lees attacks would "bounce off tyson". I wouldn't go that far. What a true expert of asian martial arts lacks in size/power, they can certainly compensate for with the knowledge how to deconstruct the human body (attacking tendons, arteries, nerves, etc). My uncle practiced and taught for 20+ years and has a huge collection of manuals and books. It is always interesting to flip through them, I estimate more than half of the text was about human anatomy.
If you go back and watch some early training films Lee did-he was literally kicking guys back 6 feet and knocking them out while they were holding pads. He had a one inch punch that was the most powerful of his day that could stop a guys heart- to think his punches would just bounce off Iron mike is quite funny.

BTW Bruce was probably 10 times smarter, trained in many forms of combat, faster, had a deadly ground attack, more elusive, more dedicated and much better shape-especially in cardio.
[Reply]
Pablo 10:48 AM 01-30-2014
If Tyson connects once it's all over. Lee was insanely fast, but I'd bet on Tyson so long as he didn't get his knee blown out or something.
[Reply]
Big Poppa Payne 10:48 AM 01-30-2014
Here is a good martial arts instructional video.

[Reply]
vailpass 10:49 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
If you go back and watch some early training films Lee did-he was literally kicking guys back 6 feet and knocking them out while they were holding pads. He had a one inch punch that was the most powerful of his day that could stop a guys heart- to think his punches would just bounce off Iron mike is quite funny.

BTW Bruce was probably 10 times smarter, trained in many forms of combat, faster, had a deadly ground attack, more elusive, more dedicated and much better shape-especially in cardio.
Agreed for the most part.
But if iron Mike laid one on Bruce's jaw first down he goes.
[Reply]
blaise 10:51 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Agreed for the most part.
But if iron Mike laid one on Bruce's jaw first down he goes.
He would go down even if Tyson landed one to his midsection. Even if he didn't go down he'd be in some pain.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 82
« First < 182425262728 293031323878 > Last »
Up