ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 376 of 460
« First < 276326366372373374375376 377378379380386426 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge***
smittysbar 11:49 AM 05-11-2008
Okay, here is a place for the Golfers to talk about tournaments, clubs, swing help or thoughts.

Today is the Players Championship, which I think ought to be the 5th Major. Largest pot in the PGA. The daunting 17th, which seems to bring excitement every year. At least we will get to see Sergio blow up yet again.

I am ready to see some water balls!
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:34 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
My little gift to myself is arriving on Monday. G62 Garmin Approach golf watch. Now I don't have to keep score or track my distances myself. It's supposed to have a virtual caddy that will eventually even account for wind, distance, elevation change and suggest a club.

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/ga...120343001.html

I did the same thing, bought myself a birthday gift two years ago. It's a Garmin S20 GPS, I got it in a golf shop on sale for $129, comes white, black, etc, I chose black. It works good, and before that I had a Nikon/Callaway 1200 rangefinder, which is nice. However, you've got to shoot the pin everytime, it's sometimes hard to do and slows you down a bit. Now I just walk to my ball and I know the positions 1, 2 or 3 and I have front, middle and back distances right in front of me. I don't use the score part, I just write it on a scorecard cause I'm keep score for 3 others. It does sometimes take about 30 seconds to a minute to find the course initially, and sometimes you can forget to do it until in the fairway on the first hole and look and it's still tells me the time. That's another nice thing, it's a clock anytime I want.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:45 PM 08-13-2020
I was watching the 3M Tournament and the winner Michael Thompson was carrying a 7 wood. On one hole he was about 270 out and used that 7 and dropped the ball on the green straight down like iron. It was a thing of beauty.

I went on eBay and found a brand new Honma 7 wood, found several and they were $229 new. Found an auction for a new one and I bid and won it for $56 plus shipping. Not knowing how it would play, I didn't want to spend much more, but I figured what the heck. I took it last Friday and tried it twice and was terrible. I need to take it to the range. It's 21 degrees and I don't carry a fairway wood right now. I have a 4 hybrid which I hit about 175 and a 3 hybrid which I hit about 195 with rollout. I needed something for going over 200 without using my driver off the fairway.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:49 PM 08-13-2020
The last golf item I bought was for my Yamaha cart, I got an AM/FM console radio that goes into the roof. It was $159 brand new with free shipping on eBay. It's really nice although you can't really hear it when the cart is moving. However which you sitting still, you can hear it easily since the speakers are just about your head. I had to buy an eternal antenna and put on the roof for $20, it took about 2 hours of fooling around with it to get it installed and hooked up to the battery. This is the actual unit in my cart. I can pick up the Orlando channels 60 miles away. You can see I also installed a 12v fan I bought at Home Depot for $30.

[Reply]
Dartgod 09:27 PM 08-13-2020
There's no way I could wear one of those GPS watches while I was playing. Especially in the heat and humidity.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:56 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
There's no way I could wear one of those GPS watches while I was playing. Especially in the heat and humidity.
I felt the same way, but after I put it on, it's on the same arm as your glove and it just feels like part of your glove. After you're wearing it you don't even think about and you never had to go looking for your rangefinder. For the past two months it's been 94 degrees or hotter here on the course, no problems.
[Reply]
philfree 11:24 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Strap it on the steering wheel of your golf cart.
[Reply]
philfree 11:26 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
The last golf item I bought was for my Yamaha cart, I got an AM/FM console radio that goes into the roof. It was $159 brand new with free shipping on eBay. It's really nice although you can't really hear it when the cart is moving. However which you sitting still, you can hear it easily since the speakers are just about your head. I had to buy an eternal antenna and put on the roof for $20, it took about 2 hours of fooling around with it to get it installed and hooked up to the battery. This is the actual unit in my cart. I can pick up the Orlando channels 60 miles away. You can see I also installed a 12v fan I bought at Home Depot for $30.

That's pretty cool. Needs to e XM Radio and bluetooth compliant.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:49 PM 08-14-2020
I shanked 5 out of like 17 irons that I hit at the range yesterday. I am scared to golf this weekend.

Any shanking stories you guys got?

Typically my shanking comes just after I've played really well. I usually keep moving the ball more and more back in my stance to hit irons more crisp and then eventually it gets too far and the shanks come. Then I have to drop my hands, put the ball further away from me and up in my stance. Then fend off weaker contact for a while to avoid the hosel. I always smash driver when I have the shanks with my irons, strange how that happens.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:39 PM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I shanked 5 out of like 17 irons that I hit at the range yesterday. I am scared to golf this weekend.

Any shanking stories you guys got?

Typically my shanking comes just after I've played really well. I usually keep moving the ball more and more back in my stance to hit irons more crisp and then eventually it gets too far and the shanks come. Then I have to drop my hands, put the ball further away from me and up in my stance. Then fend off weaker contact for a while to avoid the hosel. I always smash driver when I have the shanks with my irons, strange how that happens.
You're smashing the ball with your driver because you're coming too far from the inside, which is great for a level angle of attack and hell when you have to hit down on the ball.

I fought the shanks for literally 10 years before doing a complete swing teardown.

Any time I would try to make a small swing change, I'd get the shanks. It took me years to understand why, and it all boils back to this:

When I was younger, like most players, I sliced the ball. My dad kept telling me that I was laying the club off. So, like most golfers, I overdid it. I built a swing with essentially no forearm rotation because I was afraid that doing so would get the club laid off, when in reality you need to rotate the forearms to set the club on the proper plane. As a result, my swing was incredibly steep and required phenomenal timing for me to play consistently. My feet were all over the place; it was a miracle I could ever play. I'd hit the ball dead in the center of the face and pull-hook a 9 iron 70 yards left.

Without seeing your swing on video, it's hard to quantify. Generally what happens is that you are out of balance and on the downswing your body is either moving towards the ball, you're losing your spine angle, or both.

One thing that helped me is to focus on turning my hips on the plane of my spine (that is, *not parallel to the ground, but parallel to my spine). In fact, it's one of the only thoughts in my backswing now. I find that if I focus on turning my hips (instead of the X-factor stuff by Jim McClean that ruined thousands of golf swings) I give my arms and body room to turn and clear on the downswing. Restricting your hips will not give you extra distance--it will only hurt your back and your golf swing.

I can't say this enough: most of the famous golf instructors of the 90s got almost everything about the golf swing completely wrong. Leadbetter, McClean, Rick Smith, etc. were all much, much better at marketing themselves than fixing golf swings.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:58 PM 08-14-2020
I was watching the 3M Tournament and the winner Michael Thompson was carrying a 7 wood. On one hole he was about 270 out and used that 7 and dropped the ball on the green straight down like iron. It was a thing of beauty.

I went on eBay and found a brand new Honma 7 wood, found several and they were $229 new. Found an auction for a new one and I bid and won it for $56 plus shipping. Not knowing how it would play, I didn't want to spend much more, but I figured what the heck. I took it last Friday and tried it twice and was terrible. I need to take it to the range. It's 21 degrees and I don't carry a fairway wood right now. I have a 4 hybrid which I hit about 175 and a 3 hybrid which I hit about 195 with rollout. I needed something for going over 200 without using my driver off the fairway.

You might already know this, but carrying a 3-hybrid and 7 wood is redundant for your distance gapping in most cases. You might find it easier to find a good 5 wood and use that off the deck. 7 woods are better from the rough (a few guys at the PGA used a 9 wood because of the thicker rough at Harding Park; Vijay Singh used to carry a 9 wood bent 7 degrees open) but will impart more spin and fly higher than a hybrid due to their lower center of gravity.
[Reply]
O.city 06:40 PM 08-14-2020
The wife and I and another couple are gonna go to whistling straits for a couple days next year apparently

Fucking Covid, I was supposed to be in Scotland for 10 days the last of July
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:46 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
That's pretty cool. Needs to e XM Radio and bluetooth compliant.
I thought about that, but I'm one of the few humans who still carries a flip phone, no smart phone to connect. I have XM in my car and you can get the radios for free from Sirius/XM but they add $6 a month onto your account. I actually wanted a CD player because I still have about 500 CD's, but a unit with a radio and CD was about $400. I could just change out the head and get a Kenwood AM/FM/CD from Best Buy for about $85, which I still might do. Now that's I've talked to a few people, they say a CD player doesn't work good in a golf cart, it skips too much.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:52 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You might already know this, but carrying a 3-hybrid and 7 wood is redundant for your distance gapping in most cases. You might find it easier to find a good 5 wood and use that off the deck. 7 woods are better from the rough (a few guys at the PGA used a 9 wood because of the thicker rough at Harding Park; Vijay Singh used to carry a 9 wood bent 7 degrees open) but will impart more spin and fly higher than a hybrid due to their lower center of gravity.
I played again yesterday and tried the 7 wood one time, I'm finding it's much harder to hit. I used the 3 and 4 hybrid a lot with no problems, I might just end up selling it on eBay. I was looking for more height in shots to the green. I use to carry a 4 wood and I reached a par 5 that was 240 on my second shot a couple of times, I don't know why I sold that club, I might go back to that. Over on golfwrx a lot guys like the 4 wood, it's a good combination of the height of the 5 and the length of the 3, that's why I tried it.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:22 PM 08-17-2020
Skytrak golf simulator. Can probably get one for about $5,000 altogether including launch monitor, projector, mats and netting.

Yay or nay? Anyone have experiences?

[Reply]
philfree 12:39 PM 08-17-2020
I thought about that, but I'm one of the few humans who still carries a flip phone, no smart phone to connect. I have XM in my car and you can get the radios for free from Sirius/XM but they add $6 a month onto your account. I actually wanted a CD player because I still have about 500 CD's, but a unit with a radio and CD was about $400. I could just change out the head and get a Kenwood AM/FM/CD from Best Buy for about $85, which I still might do. Now that's I've talked to a few people, they say a CD player doesn't work good in a golf cart, it skips too much.
I would imagine so.
[Reply]
Page 376 of 460
« First < 276326366372373374375376 377378379380386426 > Last »
Up