ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Who's had a cardio ablation?
fan4ever 07:33 PM 08-13-2019
Been on meds for a-fib for years. Last episode doctor recommended ablation. Going with a Dr. who does "cryo-ablation" rather than using heat in two days. I've done my homework...although relatively new, this is a proven and popular treatment...less risk.

Anyone have any (uplifting) stories to share? I hope this doesn't backfire. :-)
[Reply]
fan4ever 02:10 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Old Dog:
Here's one source (again not speaking of the cryo version, as I didn't research it at all since that's not what she was having done) but what I mainly relied on for my statement of the initial 60% success rate was straight from the mouth of the electrophysiologist that performed the procedure.
Daughter parroted the rest of what you said as well RE: feeling tired and weak for 3-4 days and if I recollect correctly he told her no workouts for 10 days, but then she was back to her normal routine.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article...ation-ablation
The success rate, as I understand, depends on how long you stay in a-fib on your own. If you're one of those people who go in and out you're 90% likely for it to work on the first time. Me, I've never gone back into normal rhythm on my own, so the chances aren't as good. The 60% your electrophysiologist quoted might apply to me.
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:10 PM 08-15-2019
Oh, snap...how did my cardio ablation thread get knocked off the first page?
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:11 PM 08-15-2019
Oh....
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:11 PM 08-15-2019
Sigh....................................................................
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:12 PM 08-15-2019
I'll probably have to bump again tomorrow.

CP's a cold, cold place.
[Reply]
scho63 10:36 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
IStill play tennis.
I definitely wouldn't have guessed that! :-)
[Reply]
burt 08:34 AM 08-16-2019
Good luck with your procedure. I just got out of the hospital. Significant artery blockage. So much so, that I am not a candidate for a stint. We are trying ways to reverse the trend so I don't have to have a bypass. Getting old ain't for sissies.
[Reply]
fan4ever 08:52 AM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
I definitely wouldn't have guessed that! :-)
This big man can still move; even hoop it up every so often with my 6'5" son, who'm you've met. I'm hoping to do even better now back in normal rhythm.
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:07 AM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by burt:
Good luck with your procedure. I just got out of the hospital. Significant artery blockage. So much so, that I am not a candidate for a stint. We are trying ways to reverse the trend so I don't have to have a bypass. Getting old ain't for sissies.
Thanks, it went very well, but you're right, not for sissies.

I know a couple of people who've just had bypass surgery...although they have to crack your chest open, they have you back to normal lifestyle really quickly...but it is an uncomfortable recovery but the success rate is high. IMO you and I are lucky. A lot of people are introduced to conditions like ours with a stroke, heart attack, or worse. There's an old saying that goes "Good advice is often wasted on a man, but seldomly a good scare".

Hope you do well.
[Reply]
burt 10:14 AM 08-16-2019
Thanks, it went very well, but you're right, not for sissies.

I know a couple of people who've just had bypass surgery...although they have to crack your chest open, they have you back to normal lifestyle really quickly...but it is an uncomfortable recovery but the success rate is high. IMO you and I are lucky. A lot of people are introduced to conditions like ours with a stroke, heart attack, or worse. There's an old saying that goes "Good advice is often wasted on a man, but seldomly a good scare".

Hope you do well.
Still bit scared...and, yes I feel very lucky!
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:22 AM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by burt:
Still bit scared...and, yes I feel very lucky!
Good luck. A lot of times the worrying is the hardest part.
[Reply]
burt 10:26 AM 08-16-2019
Good luck. A lot of times the worrying is the hardest part.
For me, giving up smoking and drinking are the hardest parts!!!
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:59 AM 08-16-2019
Yeah, I got ya. I had to cut down on drinking. I wouldn't drink during the week but binge on the weekend but that wasn't good so it's much more in moderation now. I've replaced smoking with vaping for the most part (NON-nicotine flavors only) and it's been a good substitute. I'll bum a smoke every once in a while, but I figure a little treat every so often can't hurt too much. With the amount of people who smoke anymore, it's a rarity to get the opportunity.
[Reply]
burt 11:04 AM 08-16-2019
Yeah, I got ya. I had to cut down on drinking. I wouldn't drink during the week but binge on the weekend but that wasn't good so it's much more in moderation now. I've replaced smoking with vaping for the most part (NON-nicotine flavors only) and it's been a good substitute. I'll bum a smoke every once in a while, but I figure a little treat every so often can't hurt too much. With the amount of people who smoke anymore, it's a rarity to get the opportunity.
Pun intended...we are a dying breed.
[Reply]
scho63 11:40 AM 08-16-2019
This big man can still move; even hoop it up every so often with my 6'5" son, who'm you've met. I'm hoping to do even better now back in normal rhythm.
I can see the hoops and maybe a former football player but I really don't want to see you or your son in those tiny white tennis shorts and top like Jimmy Connors or Bjorn Borg. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up