ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Who's had a cardio ablation?
fan4ever 07:33 PM 08-13-2019
Been on meds for a-fib for years. Last episode doctor recommended ablation. Going with a Dr. who does "cryo-ablation" rather than using heat in two days. I've done my homework...although relatively new, this is a proven and popular treatment...less risk.

Anyone have any (uplifting) stories to share? I hope this doesn't backfire. :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 09:28 AM 08-14-2019
Is that what happens after I drink six red bulls and snort an 8ball? My heart starts racing and the hookers tell me to calm down.
[Reply]
journeyscarab 09:44 AM 08-14-2019
I've been in a holding pattern for getting an ablation due to job changes and insurance. Following a couple of FB groups where there are mixed reviews on the success rate for the proceedure. Of course, the alternative is a handful of meds every day.

Hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 10:00 AM 08-14-2019
Bush’s fault.
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:14 AM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by journeyscarab:
I've been in a holding pattern for getting an ablation due to job changes and insurance. Following a couple of FB groups where there are mixed reviews on the success rate for the proceedure. Of course, the alternative is a handful of meds every day.

Hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks. This is what my cardiologist told me 8 years ago; go with meds until they don't work anymore. Flecainide has about 10 years where it will work to control your heart rate. After that, the ablation is the next alternative...but definitely start with the meds...and ablations also have about a decade before the nerve cells that are misfiring grow back anyway...and as you noted, often the first ablation isn't enough.
[Reply]
Old Dog 10:24 AM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Thanks. This is what my cardiologist told me 8 years ago; go with meds until they don't work anymore. Flecainide has about 10 years where it will work to control your heart rate. After that, the ablation is the next alternative...but definitely start with the meds...and ablations also have about a decade before the nerve cells that are misfiring grow back anyway...and as you noted, often the first ablation isn't enough.
From what I read and what the electrophysiologist had to say on it, the initial success rate is roughly 60% (of course it may be different with the "cryo" version, I've no clue). The reason the daughter went ahead and had it done was the meds didn't seem to work worth a damn to control the arrhythmia.
[Reply]
wisconsinchief 10:39 AM 08-14-2019
My wife has a-fib most of time. She's been on two different med's that basically haven't done much. Her cardiologist says cardio ablation is the next step, but really don't have a timeline. We also heard it's pretty low risk, but we (meaning I) haven't heard of the cryo-ablation. I'll pass that along. Thanks and hope you have a successful outcome. Please keep us updated.

Regarding previous remarks. Sometimes the humor is lost in a forum environment, but I don't think anyone intended to be malicious.
[Reply]
Cheater5 10:42 AM 08-14-2019
Yes, I had it done in 2015 at age 45; same procedure-- cryo ablation. The younger you are the more successful the procedure is; not sure where someone who wrote 60% success rate got that information.

Like everything, experiences vary. My Afib was fairly heavy; flecanide had zero effect and I went from diagnosis to ablation in about six months. I did spend a night in the hospital, and I took a few days off from work. I was back to working out in two weeks (yes, I like to exercise; five to six times per week). I was definitely still having afib-like symptoms for months after the procedure, to the extent I even wore a heart monitor for 30 days to see if I needed another procedure. It's leveled out now and I may have a handful of occurrences per year; I'll take it considering there were times I thought I was going to faint at my desk.

Again, everyone is different but for about two days afterward I felt incredibly weak, extremely tired ALL the time, and I felt like I was beat up by a biker gang-- just sore all over. Bottom line- I am glad I did it and while it's a little unnerving knowing they are going to 'burn' multiple places on the surface of your heart (40-50 for me), and they could potentially burn a hole in you-- I'd rather that then take medication the rest of my life and constantly have to see a cardiologist.

Hope that helps.
[Reply]
Old Dog 11:06 AM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Yes, I had it done in 2015 at age 45; same procedure-- cryo ablation. The younger you are the more successful the procedure is; not sure where someone who wrote 60% success rate got that information.

Like everything, experiences vary. My Afib was fairly heavy; flecanide had zero effect and I went from diagnosis to ablation in about six months. I did spend a night in the hospital, and I took a few days off from work. I was back to working out in two weeks (yes, I like to exercise; five to six times per week). I was definitely still having afib-like symptoms for months after the procedure, to the extent I even wore a heart monitor for 30 days to see if I needed another procedure. It's leveled out now and I may have a handful of occurrences per year; I'll take it considering there were times I thought I was going to faint at my desk.

Again, everyone is different but for about two days afterward I felt incredibly weak, extremely tired ALL the time, and I felt like I was beat up by a biker gang-- just sore all over. Bottom line- I am glad I did it and while it's a little unnerving knowing they are going to 'burn' multiple places on the surface of your heart (40-50 for me), and they could potentially burn a hole in you-- I'd rather that then take medication the rest of my life and constantly have to see a cardiologist.

Hope that helps.
Here's one source (again not speaking of the cryo version, as I didn't research it at all since that's not what she was having done) but what I mainly relied on for my statement of the initial 60% success rate was straight from the mouth of the electrophysiologist that performed the procedure.
Daughter parroted the rest of what you said as well RE: feeling tired and weak for 3-4 days and if I recollect correctly he told her no workouts for 10 days, but then she was back to her normal routine.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article...ation-ablation
[Reply]
journeyscarab 11:46 AM 08-14-2019
Yeah the Tikosyn and Diltiazem seem to be working ok. I can tell if I fall out of rhythm but the meds usually kick me right back in again pretty quickly. I am good with just doing the meds until they dont work anymore. Working on losing weight, exercising and sleeping with a CPAP. All seem to be working well.
[Reply]
Bwana 12:00 PM 08-14-2019
I'm not sure, but good luck with the procedure.
[Reply]
fan4ever 01:23 PM 08-14-2019

Hope that helps.
Here's a short video on the cryo...two and a half minutes.

[Reply]
fan4ever 01:25 PM 08-14-2019

Hope that helps.
I've been lucky with the meds...little side affect and virtually no dizziness...but they ain't workin' no more. Funny thing is I don't feel all that different being in a-fib. Still play tennis and basketball.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 01:40 PM 08-14-2019
I think Cardio Ablation is the name of a shot I had at a bar in Mexico. So, yes, I've had one.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 01:44 PM 08-14-2019
I've been lucky with the meds...little side affect and virtually no dizziness...but they ain't workin' no more. Funny thing is I don't feel all that different being in a-fib. Still play tennis and basketball.
What's the cost associated with this procedure?
[Reply]
fan4ever 02:06 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
What's the cost associated with this procedure?
Jeez, I don't know. I do know it's finishing off my deductible for the year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up