ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Melvin Gordon Wants a New Contract or Out of the Chargers
thabear04 08:18 AM 07-11-2019
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebigl...act-trade/amp/

Melvin Gordon, entering his fifth season in the NFL and thus still on his rookie deal, is dissatisfied with his contract with the Los Angeles Chargers and is taking those frustrations public:

Los Angeles running back Melvin Gordon has informed the Chargers that unless he receives a new contract, he will not report to training camp and he will demand a trade, his agent Fletcher Smith told ESPN.

Elite backs in the NFL persistently face this issue. The five-year deals for first round picks lock them in at below market wages, and then when they hit their mid to late twenties the teams say they are nearing the end of their useful lives. Last year, Gordon missed four games with an injured knee, but when he was playing he averaged over five yards per carry. Gordon is slated to make $5.6 million this season.

Off the top of my head, if they could make the compensation work the Packers would be a great fit for Gordon. He is from and played college football at Wisconsin, and is the threat to catch passes out of the backfield that Aaron Rodgers has been sorely lacking.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 03:38 PM 07-11-2019
The only time I would take a RB in the first round is if I’m picking late and an elite level talent falls to me.

I don’t want to draft an elite talent early and fall into the trap of giving them the big second contract. If I’m already a contender, then I’m not as worried about it.

I would never take a RB under any circumstance in the top half of the first round. There’s always another position with better longevity available early.
[Reply]
FAX 04:24 PM 07-11-2019
Pay the man, Chargers!

Give him all your bags.

FAX
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:59 PM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Which position is consistently found, year after year, in the mid to late rounds?

Interior OL and RB's.

Saquon was drafted with the 2nd overall pick, so if you wanted him, theoretically, you're gonna have to take him in the top 3.

Whats the difference in Saquon and say, James Connor as a player? Saquon is an A+ blue chip player, whereas Connor is a B player. The value in the difference isn't enough to spend a first round pick on said player. We have mountains of evidence that shows that running backs can be found year after year, anywhere. Literally, grab a mid tier FA running back for cheap.

I think Saquon is a great, generational type running back. Going to have a great career. I still wouldn't draft him over a potential franchise QB in the first round. I'd take a pass rusher, a LT, a Corner, hell, even a LBer over a RB in the first round.

The generational RB just isn't that much different in terms of value vs a good solid one.
Every position is constantly found year in and year out in mid to late rounds. That statement doesnt mean anything.

This isnt boxing or tennis every position in football is important although to different degrees. If there is a guy like Saquon available in middle 1st round and even a small need for RB on the team.. You take him. Every NFL GM would.
[Reply]
Skyy God 07:36 PM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
5 year deals? You need to explain exactly how you think all this actually works.
Crickets from Dumbass-oinian.....
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:08 PM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That remains to be seen. Darnold hasn't done anything yet.

Regardless, there are a lot of players that went in the 1st round that Barkley is going to have a better career then. To say 'Never draft an RB in the 1st round!' is taking it too far when it comes to the reality of RBs losing their importance in todays pass happy NFL.
I can say with confidence today that drafting Barkley over Darnold to turn around and have to take Daniel Jones #6 overall is as stupid as it gets.

Taking a RB in the first round in general (not to mention the top 3 picks) when you have no QB is butt fucking retarded.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:47 PM 07-11-2019
Every position is constantly found year in and year out in mid to late rounds. That statement doesnt mean anything.

This isnt boxing or tennis every position in football is important although to different degrees. If there is a guy like Saquon available in middle 1st round and even a small need for RB on the team.. You take him. Every NFL GM would.
I don't think half would when they know that could get a player like Hunt, Kamara, etc. in the 3rd. While filling another hole with a better talent that would not be available in the 3rd.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:55 PM 07-11-2019

Middle of the first? Barkley was taken at the top of the draft. I guarantee neither the pats nor the Chiefs would take him that high.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:14 PM 07-11-2019

With the way the NFL has gone it’s hard to justify taking any RB in the 1st round and especially early like Barkley. He is a stud no doubt but he and RBs in general just don’t impact the game the same way anymore. RBs just do not have the shelf life to justify being picked high. They are better found in the lower and cheaper rounds and replaced before they can potentially become expensive.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:20 PM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by tredadda:
He is a stud no doubt but he and RBs in general just don’t impact the game the same way anymore.
Nonsense. Not every team has Andy Reid and a Pat Mahomes.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:37 PM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Nonsense. Not every team has Andy Reid and a Pat Mahomes.
You don’t need Reid and Mahomes to see what I am saying is true. The days of Barry Sanders, Walter Payton etc.... are over for the time being.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:35 PM 07-11-2019
Ezekiel Elliott is taking a 6-10 to 8-8 squad and has them being a playoff squad when he isn't busy breaking the law.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:44 AM 07-12-2019
So don't draft Saquon Barkley in the 1st round?
Not at #2 overall, no. That's just fucking stupid.
[Reply]
MahiMike 09:09 AM 07-12-2019
Dude's name is Melvin. Melvin. hahaha...
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:05 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Not at #2 overall, no. That's just ****ing stupid.
Saquon Barkley>Eric Fisher
[Reply]
staylor26 10:09 AM 07-12-2019
Saquon Barkley>Eric Fisher
That might’ve been the extremely rare draft that taking a RB #1 would be defensible.

And you could still argue we’d be better off with Fisher who’s a good LT. We would’ve had to overpay to keep a RB had we drafted one and he’d probably already be breaking down, while Fisher is entering his prime and protecting our franchise QB’s blindside.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up