ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 14
« First < 678910 11121314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>XFL to make a comeback
In58men 02:18 PM 12-16-2017
HE HATE ME!!!!!!!!

https://deadspin.com/vince-mcmahon-m...xfl-1821354064

Looks like a landing spot for Kap and Manzy.
[Reply]
GoChargers 09:30 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The MLS model is interesting if McMahon is willing to lose money early on. Build around community, not the league. That would play well in areas like Portland and Middle America. It won't compete with the nfl. But the size of the MLS is nothing to sneeze at. Even more interesting because the USL has had lots of success as a competitor to the mls.
I think a football league using that model would be a lot more successful than the MLS. Unlike the MLS, they'd be offering a sport that Americans actually care about. Making it about the community would be a smart choice in the aftermath of three cities losing their NFL teams due to pure greed.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:42 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by GoChargers:
I think a football league using that model would be a lot more successful than the MLS. Unlike the MLS, they'd be offering a sport that Americans actually care about. Making it about the community would be a smart choice in the aftermath of three cities losing their NFL teams due to pure greed.
Totally agree. And I'll add that not only does MLS have to sell Americans on soccer, they also have to convince that smaller % of fans to watch it over EPL and European soccer leagues. Still they're pulling tens of thousands of fans. Hell, Cincinnati is pulling over 20K per game for a league INFERIOR to MLS.
[Reply]
ILChief 10:12 AM 01-27-2018
Having the season start in January seems dumb
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:24 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by ILChief:
Having the season start in January seems dumb
Why? No competition with NFL or college football. Which also means you can easily use some of those stadiums. It's also the boringest month for sports with only the NBA and NHL regular seasons being offered.
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:29 AM 01-27-2018
Why? No competition with NFL or college football. Which also means you can easily use some of those stadiums. It's also the boringest month for sports with only the NBA and NHL regular seasons being offered.
For the first few weeks, fan interest would be almost zero, considering NFL is still going on. Then your going to be relying on the wives and families of football fans to okay another 8 weeks of sitting on the couch. Plus don't underestimate the number of sports fans who would rather watch elite athletes play regular season basketball or hockey as opposed to seeing some Southwest Montana A&M backup QB throw an orange ball to "Not Good Enough for NFL WR A or B"
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:37 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
For the first few weeks, fan interest would be almost zero, considering NFL is still going on. Then your going to be relying on the wives and families of football fans to okay another 8 weeks of sitting on the couch. Plus don't underestimate the number of sports fans who would rather watch elite athletes play regular season basketball or hockey as opposed to seeing some Southwest Montana A&M backup QB throw an orange ball to "Not Good Enough for NFL WR A or B"
There are plenty of people who watch sports constantly all year round. Including soccer fans who move on from EPL to MLS. But you're also looking at this as some mass market play. I think you're underestimating how many of those same families who live in Des Moines that are looking for things to do with their kids in January. If Major League Lacrosse can pull in a few thousand per game and MLS can pull in 15-20K despite being very inferior to European soccer (and if USL can pull 8K to even 20K for a league even inferior to MLS), then XFL can certainly pull in a decent crowd if it's run well. Portland soccer is an excellent example of how something like this could work.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 11:35 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Why in the world would an 18-20 talented kid that's playing at a Power 5 school while receiving a great education leave their eligibility and degree on the table for maybe $50k?

Plus, who's putting an 18 year old kid up against a 28 year old NFL or CFL veteran and expecting him to "win" ANY type of battle?

What is the incentive for Netflix or Amazon to partner up with a league that's only taking Choirboys for a 2 hour football game?

This league is going to be far, far below the standards of the CFL and the FBS, let alone, the NFL.

It's going to be a massive trainwreck.
Completely agree. This will be a train wreck on an epic scale.

The original XFL was a train wreck that bombed in the ratings and was cancelled after one season, and that was BEFORE CTE and #MeToo. McMahon tried to sell the original XFL on Extreme Violence and Extreme Sexuality, and all he actually delivered was He Hate Me and boring minor league football.

And now he says nobody with any kind of criminal record will be allowed to play in the new XFL? :-) He NEEDS players like Manziel and Kaepernick to have any chance at all, and he just eliminated both of them.

Vince McMahon is a senile old man with more money than he knows what to do with and a desperate need for attention. If I were one of his heirs, I'd be pissed.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 11:45 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
:-)
Dane with the hot take.
And maybe Vince will call down to the bench and tell the coach to put the long snapper in at QB and the mascot in at running back:-)

Yes, this will be a failure, but you're trying too hard to come up with reasons why.
Um, have you EVER watched the product that Vince McMahon made his fortune with?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:45 AM 01-27-2018
I just dont see much of a point? Why does McMahon think it will succeed this time?

Americans have this thing, we dont like to watch inferior sports leagues. We like to watch the top talent play.

The UFL crashed and burned a few years ago for the same reasons.....inferior talent and boring games. But At least Schottenheimer got himself a pro title before his health went south.....
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:52 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I just dont see much of a point? Why does McMahon think it will succeed this time?

Americans have this thing, we dont like to watch inferior sports leagues. We like to watch the top talent play.

The UFL crashed and burned a few years ago for the same reasons.....inferior talent and boring games. But At least Schottenheimer got himself a pro title before his health went south.....
And yet minor league baseball, mls, and usl are doing well pulling decent crowds. Not blockbuster successes. But successful within their niche. The USFL failed because it tried to take on the nfl. The xfl 1.0 probably did too. This xfl doesn't look like they're doing that.
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:53 AM 01-27-2018
There are plenty of people who watch sports constantly all year round. Including soccer fans who move on from EPL to MLS. But you're also looking at this as some mass market play. I think you're underestimating how many of those same families who live in Des Moines that are looking for things to do with their kids in January. If Major League Lacrosse can pull in a few thousand per game and MLS can pull in 15-20K despite being very inferior to European soccer (and if USL can pull 8K to even 20K for a league even inferior to MLS), then XFL can certainly pull in a decent crowd if it's run well. Portland soccer is an excellent example of how something like this could work.

Maybe it can develop a niche following. If McMahon's goal is to create something small like that Arena or the Indoor league, maybe he can. It's just hard to envision something that failed so spectacularly 20 years ago(basically)becoming a hit now. Also, you gotta get off the January thing. Nobody is watching this shit at least until the NFL season ends. If McMahon wants to give it any shot, he'd start it the week after the Super Bowl. He'll have a small window. Come the second week of March, nobody is watching the XFL either.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:00 PM 01-27-2018
And yet minor league baseball, mls, and usl are doing well pulling decent crowds. Not blockbuster successes. But successful within their niche. The USFL failed because it tried to take on the nfl. The xfl 1.0 probably did too. This xfl doesn't look like they're doing that.

We shall see. Its just really hard to convince people to watch an inferior league. Theres already a built in mindset that its a 'lesser' league and thats hard to overcome.

Maybe McMahon has lowered his expectations than the original league.
[Reply]
B_Ambuehl 12:11 PM 01-27-2018
I think it has a chance to succeed, if it improves upon the rules of NFL football and the rules give way towards a more entertaining product. NFL football itself is boring to a lot of casual viewers. Teams run on 1st down for 0-2 yards. Rules regarding formations and eligible receivers are too restrictive. I would start by trending towards some of the CFL rules. Widen the field by 10 yards, change yards to go from 10 to 15 (or bring downs from 4 down to 3), eliminate ineligible receiver rules, allow more motion (like arena football), and maybe consider allowing forward passes past the line of scrimmage. The rules need to make the average football fan curious enough to wanna check it out, and from there you hope enough will stay interested.

The problem with the '01 XFL is it was still just a regular football game, but with lesser talented players.
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:12 PM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
Completely agree. This will be a train wreck on an epic scale.

The original XFL was a train wreck that bombed in the ratings and was cancelled after one season, and that was BEFORE CTE and #MeToo. McMahon tried to sell the original XFL on Extreme Violence and Extreme Sexuality, and all he actually delivered was He Hate Me and boring minor league football.

And now he says nobody with any kind of criminal record will be allowed to play in the new XFL? :-) He NEEDS players like Manziel and Kaepernick to have any chance at all, and he just eliminated both of them.

Vince McMahon is a senile old man with more money than he knows what to do with and a desperate need for attention. If I were one of his heirs, I'd be pissed.
Cant believe I'm saying this, but... I'm with Lex
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:13 PM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Maybe it can develop a niche following. If McMahon's goal is to create something small like that Arena or the Indoor league, maybe he can. It's just hard to envision something that failed so spectacularly 20 years ago(basically)becoming a hit now. Also, you gotta get off the January thing. Nobody is watching this shit at least until the NFL season ends. If McMahon wants to give it any shot, he'd start it the week after the Super Bowl. He'll have a small window. Come the second week of March, nobody is watching the XFL either.
The more I think about how it could work, the more I don't see the need for gimmicks. You don't think this would do well offseason in a market like Portland, OKC, Louisville, Austin, des Moines, etc...? Second rate talent isn't an issue for mls, usl, or minor league baseball. And the xfl proposal we are seeing so far looks nothing like what was proposed 20 years ago which I would agree would end in disaster. But a measured approach to treat this like a niche league might stand a pretty good chance.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 14
« First < 678910 11121314 >
Up