ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 32
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>(Welcome to the) NEW Chiefsplanet SERVER!!!!
AustinChief 06:36 PM 11-23-2010
OK, the time has finally come... we have a new server!

I will be spending tonight and all day tomorrow transitioning to the new digs... I don't expect it to affect us until late tomorrow afternoon.

I will make give everybody a warning then take us offline for (hopefully!) 3-4 hours...

When we are done, we will have a new home with 6 TIMES the power and RAM as before... I expect to see some MAJOR upgrades in performance... once we have settled into the new server, I will start to prep us for a major upgrade to our Vbulletin software... but that may wait until the post season...

I know it's been a long time coming, but bear with me for a little longer and it will all be worth it!
[Reply]
srvy 06:45 PM 08-14-2019
This board would become a ghost town in offseason without the other forums as they keep traffic going when nothing is going on. The lounge really just an guess but at least 30% or more isnt sports related.
[Reply]
limested 06:55 PM 08-14-2019
If anyone cares mass deleting of content is not good for SEO. Could/would impact the targeted ad revenue as well.

The endless scroll is front end coding and can be done with any backend. Even the dinosaur this site is currently on.

If I remember correctly this version of VB also stores all attachments in the DB which adds to SQL overhead. That being said sql writes are much more resource intensive than reads. SSD would benefit both. Depending on how much and necessity of any logging running for user interaction on site could help a bit if turned off.

Updating to a modern software is the easiest fix for now without need to purge content or spend $ on infrastructure.

Daface/AC... Can you provide current server specs?
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 06:58 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
bogging down... I would say the media and picture thread would be causing the same problem.

What would the cost be to upgrade. I'm in for helping out with some cash...
I would also be willing to donate some. I'm on worker's comp/disability, so it won't be life changing, but I can spare a few $$
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:25 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Dante84:
What if we just deleted the entire history of DC then, but allowed it to stay? That way we clear up the space but don’t lose the ad revenue.
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:52 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by limested:
If anyone cares mass deleting of content is not good for SEO. Could/would impact the targeted ad revenue as well.

The endless scroll is front end coding and can be done with any backend. Even the dinosaur this site is currently on.

If I remember correctly this version of VB also stores all attachments in the DB which adds to SQL overhead. That being said sql writes are much more resource intensive than reads. SSD would benefit both. Depending on how much and necessity of any logging running for user interaction on site could help a bit if turned off.

Updating to a modern software is the easiest fix for now without need to purge content or spend $ on infrastructure.

Daface/AC... Can you provide current server specs?
Intel Zeon CPU D-1540 @ 2.00GHz x 16 plus 128 GB RAM. I can't see much more than that in WHM. (I mean, we have 2TB hard drive space, but I'm not sure the specs of the drives or the configuration.)
[Reply]
old_geezer 07:57 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I’m with Fish on this, endless scroll sounds like a skull ****ing nightmare

You can have DC when you pry it from our cold, dead hands

The most important issues of our time are discussed in there

Yes it’s often pointless and ugly as sin, but there are also bright spots that I believe enhance our understanding of the world around us
Your proposal is acceptable. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:58 PM 08-14-2019
I suppose that I'd throw out there that, if anyone fancies themselves an expert in MySQL tuning, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've run all sorts of scripts and tweaked things based on their recommendations, but I only barely understand things like read buffer sizes and such.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:06 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by old_geezer:
Your proposal is acceptable. :-)
This idea of limiting what people can talk about flies directly in the face of why this place was created. It was a big enough fight segregating politics from the main forum, trying to do away with it all together will result in a civil war.
[Reply]
limested 08:07 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Intel Zeon CPU D-1540 @ 2.00GHz x 16 plus 128 GB RAM. I can't see much more than that in WHM. (I mean, we have 2TB hard drive space, but I'm not sure the specs of the drives or the configuration.)
Not bad. CPU and RAM are more than enough. HD would be the only real bottleneck. How much so would be dependent on number of drives and RAID config. Also that they are traditional drives vs SSD.

Can get crazy performance if new VB supports Redis. I believe Xenforo does.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:09 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by limested:
Not bad. CPU and RAM are more than enough. HD would be the only real bottleneck. How much so would be dependent on number of drives and RAID config. Also that they are traditional drives vs SSD.

Can get crazy performance if new VB supports Redis. I believe Xenforo does.
Yeah, even when we bog down the most, it never seems like we have loads that climb above maybe 7 or 8, which I understand should be perfectly fine. RAM creeps up there a bit, but all the recommendations scripts for MySQL say it's fine. It just makes logical sense that the drive would be the bottleneck as you said.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:48 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
This idea of limiting what people can talk about flies directly in the face of why this place was created. It was a big enough fight segregating politics from the main forum, trying to do away with it all together will result in a civil war.
Agreed. The (damn near) lawless nature of this place is half its' charm. Do away with DC, which I don't even frequent much, and it just seems like censorship.. Particularly if the return won't even be substantial.
[Reply]
old_geezer 09:10 PM 08-14-2019
I can see my "Men in Black" quote flew right over a lot of heads. Too obscure? :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:11 PM 08-14-2019
Yep, I have absolutely no use for the DC forum and even hide it from my view. But it has a purpose and serves it well. Besides, you can 't convince me that getting rid of it would help forum performance on game days.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:59 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I suppose that I'd throw out there that, if anyone fancies themselves an expert in MySQL tuning, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've run all sorts of scripts and tweaked things based on their recommendations, but I only barely understand things like read buffer sizes and such.
Used to be hard core into this stuff. Wish I could help. But gave up IT for aviation. Never looking back. Don’t even own a computer or laptop anymore.
[Reply]
007 10:12 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
Used to be hard core into this stuff. Wish I could help. But gave up IT for aviation. Never looking back. Don’t even own a computer or laptop anymore.
Wow, thats quite a career flip. Wish I had the guts to do something like that. I'm miserable right now.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 32
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Up