ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 32
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>(Welcome to the) NEW Chiefsplanet SERVER!!!!
AustinChief 06:36 PM 11-23-2010
OK, the time has finally come... we have a new server!

I will be spending tonight and all day tomorrow transitioning to the new digs... I don't expect it to affect us until late tomorrow afternoon.

I will make give everybody a warning then take us offline for (hopefully!) 3-4 hours...

When we are done, we will have a new home with 6 TIMES the power and RAM as before... I expect to see some MAJOR upgrades in performance... once we have settled into the new server, I will start to prep us for a major upgrade to our Vbulletin software... but that may wait until the post season...

I know it's been a long time coming, but bear with me for a little longer and it will all be worth it!
[Reply]
bowener 11:03 AM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Seriously look into discourse: https://www.discourse.org/

It has sooooo many features that are an upgrade from vbulletin - the best being new posts auto-load w/o having to refresh the page.

We could try out just for gameday threads or something. It's definitely a next evolution in forum software.

AC - I'm a web developer. You could always hire me. I'll give you a good price to set it up.
That's pretty cool. Slack integration could be a cool addition as well.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:16 AM 08-14-2019
Jesus, it's been nine years.

Fuck, I've wasted my entire life!
[Reply]
limested 11:27 AM 08-14-2019
Seriously look into discourse: https://www.discourse.org/

It has sooooo many features that are an upgrade from vbulletin - the best being new posts auto-load w/o having to refresh the page.

We could try out just for gameday threads or something. It's definitely a next evolution in forum software.

AC - I'm a web developer. You could always hire me. I'll give you a good price to set it up.
Discourse would be super expensive for the number of page views this site gets.

There is nothing it does that a modern build of VB or Xenforo can’t do.
[Reply]
Dante84 11:27 AM 08-14-2019
Has anyone suggested deleting DC? I would suggest that, if it hasn’t been suggested.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:05 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
The downside of that is probably no way to import accounts and post history outside of that there is no feature that I couldn't do without that I depend on. People would get used to it.
so all accounts and history are wiped out, on purpose. How do you think that’s going to go over with the posters?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:18 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
so all accounts and history are wiped out, on purpose. How do you think that’s going to go over with the posters?
Just to clarify, a move to either a new version of vBulletin or a move to Xenforo would both allow for accounts, threads, and posts to be migrated over (as limested mentioned earlier). Not sure about Discourse. Still a fuck ton of work though.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:24 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just to clarify, a move to either a new version of vBulletin or a move to Xenforo would both allow for accounts, threads, and posts to be migrated over (as limested mentioned earlier). Not sure about Discourse. Still a **** ton of work though.
Any idea what clearing out a subforum of 2Million posts would look like from a time ROI standpoint?

I'm sure there would ad revenue lost by deleting a forum that nets a lot of views.

In terms of performance improvement, what would that do?

And how much of a time investment would it take from you/AC/etc...?
[Reply]
old_geezer 12:41 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Has anyone suggested deleting DC? I would suggest that, if it hasn’t been suggested.
Pretty sure it's already been discussed but if it would help I'm all for it. Just ban political discussion on this BB. If you want to talk politics find another board.

On a more relevant note, this site has been dragging for me for quite a while now but today it's running great. :-)
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:46 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

BRC change is inevitable that is just life. As Daface said you can keep a read-only archive if you are feeling nostalgic

Just to clarify, a move to either a new version of vBulletin or a move to Xenforo would both allow for accounts, threads, and posts to be migrated over (as limested mentioned earlier). Not sure about Discourse. Still a fuck ton of work though.

If that is the case then moving to Xenforo sounds like a good plan. you could do a new server migration to VBulletin it looks like as well.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:01 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Any idea what clearing out a subforum of 2Million posts would look like from a time ROI standpoint?

I'm sure there would ad revenue lost by deleting a forum that nets a lot of views.

In terms of performance improvement, what would that do?

And how much of a time investment would it take from you/AC/etc...?
Clearing it out wouldn't be a huge hassle. Wouldn't make a huge dent in our issues though. And you can bet it'd piss some people off pretty fiercely.
[Reply]
eDave 01:02 PM 08-14-2019
CP was not ready for a franchise QB.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:04 PM 08-14-2019
Whatever we go with - auto-loading gameday and draft threads w/o having to refresh would be amazing for this forum. Which is also something I like about discourse - it has no pages - just endless scroll.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:06 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
BRC change is inevitable that is just life. As Daface said you can keep a read-only archive if you are feeling nostalgic

If that is the case then moving to Xenforo sounds like a good plan. you could do a new server migration to VBulletin it looks like as well.
I've liked Xenforo for years, but there's no question it would be a massive undertaking - initially for AC, and in the long-term for anyone else who pitches in to help make it look and work well. It would be a complete, ground-up redo in terms of look and feel.
[Reply]
Fish 01:07 PM 08-14-2019
Whatever we go with - auto-loading gameday and draft threads w/o having to refresh would be amazing for this forum. Which is also something I like about discourse - it has no pages - just endless scroll.
Fuck that...
[Reply]
scho63 01:12 PM 08-14-2019
Here's an idea on how to begin pruning old threads:

1. Lounge Thread: Any 5-10 years old gets deleted EXCEPT the Top 50 or Hall of Classics
Any greater than 10 gets deleted except Top !0

2. DC Threads: greater than 5 years old gets deleted EXCEPT Top 10

3. Pictures Threads: ONLY Top 20 get saved

4. Media Threads: ONLY Top 20 get saved

5. ROMPER ROOM: 10 THREAD LIMIT AND LEAST POPULAR ALWAYS DROPS OFF FOR GOOD

Moving forward, the only way to save a thread for future is if 100 posters approve

Option, instead of deleting have all these threads moved to a seperate server

Also, All inactive posters greater than 3 years get deleted

NO MORE MULTS moving forward
[Reply]
Page 15 of 32
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up