ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 32
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>(Welcome to the) NEW Chiefsplanet SERVER!!!!
AustinChief 06:36 PM 11-23-2010
OK, the time has finally come... we have a new server!

I will be spending tonight and all day tomorrow transitioning to the new digs... I don't expect it to affect us until late tomorrow afternoon.

I will make give everybody a warning then take us offline for (hopefully!) 3-4 hours...

When we are done, we will have a new home with 6 TIMES the power and RAM as before... I expect to see some MAJOR upgrades in performance... once we have settled into the new server, I will start to prep us for a major upgrade to our Vbulletin software... but that may wait until the post season...

I know it's been a long time coming, but bear with me for a little longer and it will all be worth it!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:59 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Not sure what's been happening the last two weeks but the CP server is so ****ing dogshit slow on laptops, high speed connections and cell phones.

Are there issues you would like to discuss? :-)
Originally Posted by Munson:
I thought I was the only one having issues.

There are times where I click on a thread, and have to wait 20 seconds for it to load.
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I've given up.
Thanks Daface for letting us know you are aware of issues and have done what you could to relive the response times. Looks like Austin needs some motivation for a new server or upgrades. Going into the season this lag time response issue is only going to get worse.
[Reply]
scho63 08:14 AM 08-13-2019
Is it possible that because the site keeps coming up as NOT SECURE in the browser bar that both Google Chrome and people's Anti-Malware software tools are causing very long load times?
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
if you just type https:// in front of the www. it will come up as secure and keep your settings.
This fixed the speed tremendously!!! :-):-):-)

The "NOT SECURE" access appears to be the problem. I need to figure out how to do that on my cell phone.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:14 AM 08-13-2019
We have a legit QB now. We demand a legit server to keep up with Mahomes.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 09:32 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by TLO:
But at least getting rid of the chatroom will solve so many issues. :-)
When read in William Shatner's voice this statement is both dramatic and incredibly sexy
[Reply]
DaFace 09:37 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Thanks Daface for letting us know you are aware of issues and have done what you could to relive the response times. Looks like Austin needs some motivation for a new server or upgrades. Going into the season this lag time response issue is only going to get worse.
My personal opinion is that it's either 1) drag from other sites he has on this server or 2) a function of our database being huge and vBulletin 3.8 being inefficient, but those are just educated guesses. I'm pretty good at playing with software and figuring things out, but that's hard to do when everything you try takes down the server for 12 hours while it reindexes everything.

I think if it were me, I'd probably just bite the bullet and change us over to something like Xenforo, which is much more modern and able to handle big queries, but that would be a relatively painful transition in terms of both time on the backend and user experience.

But that's where we're at. Until AC finds the motivation to really mess with it, it kind of is what it is.
[Reply]
scho63 09:53 AM 08-13-2019
Why can't we just move this to a Google Cloud or Amazon Web Service Cloud server with security, fast speeds, top notch database and support all built in?

This shared server and managing it at some local ISP is 1990's shit.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:56 AM 08-13-2019
Spoiler - it's a dial-up piece of shit
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:57 AM 08-13-2019
My personal opinion is that it's either 1) drag from other sites he has on this server or 2) a function of our database being huge and vBulletin 3.8 being inefficient, but those are just educated guesses. I'm pretty good at playing with software and figuring things out, but that's hard to do when everything you try takes down the server for 12 hours while it reindexes everything.

I think if it were me, I'd probably just bite the bullet and change us over to something like Xenforo, which is much more modern and able to handle big queries, but that would be a relatively painful transition in terms of both time on the backend and user experience.

But that's where we're at. Until AC finds the motivation to really mess with it, it kind of is what it is.
AC is very selfish w/ his time. I miss him like the dickens though.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:59 AM 08-13-2019
Why can't we just move this to a Google Cloud or Amazon Web Service Cloud server with security, fast speeds, top notch database and support all built in?

Probably because it is not cheap and I doubt the adds and donations barely help cover any of the costs for Austin.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 10:00 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Spoiler - it's a dial-up piece of shit
:-)

Can we cut this piece of shit yet?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:00 AM 08-13-2019

I can't speak to the benefits of AWS over our current setup, but characterizing it as a "shared server" at "some local ISP" isn't really accurate. It's a dedicated server with only AC's sites on it, and we're by far the biggest. (He has a few other sites for his clients I believe, plus PatriotsPlanet.) It's hosted in a server farm with well over a Tbps of bandwidth.

As I mentioned, the problem as far as I can tell is that we're running on software that was designed in like 2007. Can we change it? Sure, but it's a ton of work, and just look at how people have responded to the change at the Orange Mane. Everyone loves vBulletin 3.8 for the front-end. It's just that the back-end sucks.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:01 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Probably because it is not cheap and I doubt the adds and donations barely help cover any of the costs for Austin.
I THINK ads cover our costs these days, but I can't say that for sure.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 10:03 AM 08-13-2019
I can't speak to the benefits of AWS over our current setup, but characterizing it as a "shared server" at "some local ISP" isn't really accurate. It's a dedicated server with only AC's sites on it, and we're by far the biggest. (He has a few other sites for his clients I believe, plus PatriotsPlanet.) It's hosted in a server farm with well over a Tbps of bandwidth.

As I mentioned, the problem as far as I can tell is that we're running on software that was designed in like 2007. Can we change it? Sure, but it's a ton of work, and just look at how people have responded to the change at the Orange Mane. Everyone loves vBulletin 3.8 for the front-end. It's just that the back-end sucks.
I can start sending out daily dick pics to members. This should scare a lot of them away, which would (obviously) decrease traffic and increase server reliability. I'm ready to fight the good fight, sir, just give me the green light
[Reply]
Munson 10:06 AM 08-13-2019
I'm not a computer expert, but maybe we could cut off access to guests?

I just saw that we have 124 members online, with 770 guests.
[Reply]
stumppy 10:11 AM 08-13-2019

Oh HELL NO! Whatever Taco Piece of Shit Wrong changed his board to would kill off most of the traffic here. That shitty board reminds me of driving my first car. 66' Chevy Biscayne 4 door, 6 cyl, 3 speed standard, vinyl bench seats, manual everything, no pwr steering or brakes, the extras were a heater and a key.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 32
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Up