ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 803 of 3903
« First < 303703753793799800801802803 80480580680781385390313031803 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 07:02 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
US passed 500,000 test mark today

https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/

The US processed 101,000 tests today. Of which 83,000 were negative.
1/5 of the tests in the US done in a day? Damn, I hope that means we are getting ahead of it.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:04 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
curious, you think the citizens of Montana will coroperate more or less with the order than those in Cali or NY?
It's hard to say, but we're about to find out. My guess is for the most part yes.
[Reply]
TLO 07:06 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
1/5 of the tests in the US done in a day? Damn, I hope that means we are getting ahead of it.
It sticks out to me that of 100,000 people that needed a test roughly only 20% of them tested positive..
[Reply]
lewdog 07:09 PM 03-26-2020
Arizona still not giving shelter in place orders.

Dumb.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:09 PM 03-26-2020
Here is a survey of experts and where they think things are headed:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...still-unclear/

The median best prediction of the experts is 248,000 deaths in the US in 2020, up from an estimate of 200,000 deaths made by the same panel a week ago. Maybe things won't get this bad, but I think mentally people should think in those terms to prepare themselves and to take this seriously.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:09 PM 03-26-2020
I'm surprise it took this long. The good thing is, a guy can still get out and fish and ATV without dodging the law, which is just as well. I'm not sure if people have figured out that the liquor store are going to be closed yet, but when they do, watch out. :-)I saw this coming a week ago so I stocked up when there was nobody in the stores. Tomorrow is going to be a body wash with people flocking in trying to get the last minute bottle.
Ontario is deeming the Booz stores as essential which I thought was weird.
[Reply]
TLO 07:10 PM 03-26-2020
Check this out..

‘Lifesaving’ ventilator device developed by Prisma Health gets emergency FDA approval

A team of doctors at Prisma Health has developed a device that allows a single ventilator to be used on up to four patients, potentially saving thousands of lives in the midst of the current COVID-19 pandemic.

On Wednesday, March 25, Prisma Health officials announced that the device, dubbed the VESper™, or ventilation expansion splitter, had received emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

“We believe the device can be lifesaving,” said Peter Tilkemeier, chair of the Department of Medicine at Prisma Health-Upstate.

Produced using 3D printing technology, the device is developed with material already used in existing medical devices and produced at minimal cost.

Upstate Business Journal: Greenville-based laboratory named first SC commercial laboratory validated for COVID-19 testing

Prisma Health experts are now working with national COVID-19 teams that have no more ventilator capacity and can initiate emergency use of the prototype.

Emergency use authorization can offer critical care patients access to a medical device that hasn’t gone through normal FDA approval, Tilkemeier said at a news conference late Wednesday. It’s only used when no comparable or satisfactory alternative options are available.

Hospitals around the country are already facing a critical shortage of ventilators, which help patients breathe and can mean the difference between life or death for those suffering from the most severe respiratory effects of the novel coronavirus.

Nationally, more than 65,285 cases of the virus have been reported, and at least 926 people have died, according to a John Hopkins University database tracking the spread of the outbreak.

It was a Prisma Health emergency room physician who first came up with the idea of using a single machine on multiple people, according to Marjorie Jenkins, chief academic officer for Prisma Health-Upstate and dean of the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville.

Prisma coronavirus ventilator
The VESper™ device being tested on medical manikins at Prisma Health’s Healthcare Simulation Center. -Provided
Working collaboratively with her husband, a software engineer, and a Prisma Health pulmonologist, the trio began developing specifications for a “Y” splitter tubing that could be easily produced on a 3-D printer.

“Immediately, we realized we had an opportunity to impact patient outcomes all over the country, and potentially beyond the U.S.,” Jenkins said.

Physicians used Prisma Health’s Healthcare Simulation Center to begin testing the VESper™ device with medical manikins, allowing for the simulation of multiple clinical scenarios. The device was able to deliver the appropriate breathing parameters without difficulty, officials said.

With Jenkins’ help, the team was able to secure FDA approval within a matter of days.

“It truly has taken a village to develop this device,” Jenkins said.

Anyone can download the source code and printing specifications for the device. Hospitals can apply by registering on Prisma Health’s website. The health system is also collaborating with other companies such as HP Inc. and its Digital Manufacturing Network to quickly scale 3D production and distribution to COVID-19 “hot spots” designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Specifications for the device can even be shared globally, Tilkemeier said.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:11 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It sticks out to me that of 100,000 people that needed a test roughly only 20% of them tested positive..
I don’t know what the false negative rate is, I have been trying to find it.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:12 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Ontario is deeming the Booz stores as essential which I thought was weird.
Really?
[Reply]
wazu 07:14 PM 03-26-2020
Really?
KC is same.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:16 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I don’t know what the false negative rate is, I have been trying to find it.
For one type of test:

It has conducted validation studies that compared its test with PCR, using samples from 114 infected patients and 126 uninfected controls. The test scored highly in terms of specificity. “We had a true negative rate of 100% — zero false positives,” says Gunther Burgard, medical director at Pharmact. Its sensitivity was lower, however, as the IgM response does not offer a strong initial signal. During the early stage of the infection (days 4–10), the IgM component of the test provides a sensitivity of just 70%. This rises rapidly to 92.3% between days 11 and 24, and the IgG component of the test offers a sensitivity of 98.6% during this phase of the infection. Overall, the test has a false negative rate of 13%, Burgard says.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41587-020-00010-2
[Reply]
Monticore 07:16 PM 03-26-2020
Really?
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/what-s-es...open-1.4865668

Number 4 but looking at the list pretty much everything deemed essential, we are going to get kicked in the teeth when it hits us hard.
[Reply]
TLO 07:16 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Here is a survey of experts and where they think things are headed:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...still-unclear/

The median best prediction of the experts is 248,000 deaths in the US in 2020, up from an estimate of 200,000 deaths made by the same panel a week ago. Maybe things won't get this bad, but I think mentally people should think in those terms to prepare themselves and to take this seriously.
Yeah and in the UK they said 250,000 deaths to less than 20k.

Nobody seems to know anything. I appreciate the people trying to project this stuff, but they legitimately have no idea
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:17 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Arizona still not giving shelter in place orders.

Dumb.
I have thought about this before but since there is around 500 cases in AZ according to https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html what is the number that a state should put in a shelter in place order?
[Reply]
Monticore 07:17 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
For one type of test:

It has conducted validation studies that compared its test with PCR, using samples from 114 infected patients and 126 uninfected controls. The test scored highly in terms of specificity. “We had a true negative rate of 100% — zero false positives,” says Gunther Burgard, medical director at Pharmact. Its sensitivity was lower, however, as the IgM response does not offer a strong initial signal. During the early stage of the infection (days 4–10), the IgM component of the test provides a sensitivity of just 70%. This rises rapidly to 92.3% between days 11 and 24, and the IgG component of the test offers a sensitivity of 98.6% during this phase of the infection. Overall, the test has a false negative rate of 13%, Burgard says.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41587-020-00010-2
Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 803 of 3903
« First < 303703753793799800801802803 80480580680781385390313031803 > Last »
Up