ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 94
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
NewChief 09:06 PM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Not saying it was awful.

I'm just pissed because
Spoiler!
You should have been involved in this and other threads elsewhere and watching it as it aired. The theories and ideas floating around about the nature of the Carcosa cult and such were awesome.

Then the finale that just sort of negated all the buildup.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:08 PM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by NewChief:
You should have been involved in this and other threads elsewhere and watching it as it aired. The theories and ideas floating around about the nature of the Carcosa cult and such were awesome.

The first four episodes were like talking to a girl online with a supermodel portrait and setting up a date. The final four episodes were like she shows up at your door, you're all excited, and then it turns out it's Roseanne Barr.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:15 PM 01-28-2015

I didn't see it until after the season ended, so I was able to binge watch over the course of three nights, and I'm actually glad that it happened like that.

All of the weekly speculation would have been a blast, but like LOST, would have ultimately aggravated me to the point that I would have nothing but contempt for everyone involved.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:26 PM 01-28-2015
The transcendent performance of McConaughey coupled with the phenomenal direction of Fukunaga (seen with the tracking shot & cinematography) took a "solid" script and turned it into what looked to be an unparalleled crime drama - for the first six or seven episodes, anyway.

The finale revealed the show to be a standard crime procedural that was lifted to another level by the soundtrack, cast and cinematography.

I'm struggling to shake the notion that the next season will suffer considerably with Fukunaga's departure.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:07 AM 01-29-2015

Didn't have HBO until three weeks ago.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:13 AM 01-29-2015
Didn't have HBO until three weeks ago.
Your life is over once you discover hbogo.

Get caught up on game of.thrones if you haven't already. Fifth season begins in a few months. Stay out of show threads.

Then wire, sopranos, deadwood, boardwalk empire.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:16 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Your life is over once you discover hbogo.
Meh. I don't see the point on binging on Entourage. Treme gives me PTSD to my last semester of my second go around of college.. and I don't want to start power houring by myself.

I don't want to be depressed so that knocks out The Wire, Oz and The Leftovers.

I already finished Silicon Valley.. Maybe I'll watch Eastbound and Down.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:19 AM 01-29-2015
The wire is the best show of the past twenty years. Don't skip it.

Edited some other suggestions into my prior post.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:23 AM 01-29-2015
Forgot about Deadwood.. And I'll probably give Boardwalk a shot.

I've already spoiled myself on GoT because I got so tired of not knowing WTF the neckbeards on Reddit were on about.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:29 AM 01-29-2015
Forgot about Deadwood.. And I'll probably give Boardwalk a shot.

I've already spoiled myself on GoT because I got so tired of not knowing WTF the neckbeards on Reddit were on about.
GoT is s show you don't want spoilered on. But if you are spoilered, it's a show you want to watch anyway.

It's not a show that subsists on plot twists alone. Even knowing the twists, it's edifying to watch them develop as well.

Plus it's glorious to look at. There's a reason it's going to be the first television show ever to be distributed to IMAX theaters.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:56 AM 01-29-2015
Meh. I don't see the point on binging on Entourage. Treme gives me PTSD to my last semester of my second go around of college.. and I don't want to start power houring by myself.

I don't want to be depressed so that knocks out The Wire, Oz and The Leftovers.

I already finished Silicon Valley.. Maybe I'll watch Eastbound and Down.
Entourage, for me anyway, was considerably more enjoyable than Oz or Eastbound and Down, which had a nice premise but inconsistent to poor execution. I've never watched The Wire but I really enjoy Veep and the first season of Silicon Valley.

The Leftovers? Lindelof. Case closed. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00 dollars.

Game of Thrones, IMO, is a binge watch season by season ordeal and it's even better on a large LCD/LED with premium sound. IMO, it's best viewed as a movie theater experience.

And don't forget the granddaddy of them all, The Sopranos. TV history.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:57 AM 01-29-2015
I read all the ice and fire books years before they were on tv and it's still one of my current favorites. They're definitely worth watching even if you already been spoiled.

I would agree it's best binge watched, but I watch most things that way (last half season of twd still waiting on my dvr...). Some seasons of got I've binged, some I've watched sequentially.

Since this upcoming season marks the greatest book departure I'll likely watch weekly.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:03 AM 01-29-2015
Another show I liked was Carnivale. It was just bizarre. In a good way. But it ended too soon.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:21 AM 01-29-2015
I read all the ice and fire books years before they were on tv and it's still one of my current favorites. They're definitely worth watching even if you already been spoiled.

I would agree it's best binge watched, but I watch most things that way (last half season of twd still waiting on my dvr...). Some seasons of got I've binged, some I've watched sequentially.

Since this upcoming season marks the greatest book departure I'll likely watch weekly.
Holy Schikes!! How did I not know Amanda Peet was married to David Beniof?

She was on Conan the other night saying she tried to talk him out of directing 'dungeons and dragons with regular people' before she knew what GoT was.

:-)
[Reply]
NewChief 06:47 AM 01-29-2015
The wire is the best show of the past twenty years. Don't skip it.

Edited some other suggestions into my prior post.
Agreed on The Wire. I've finally got around to working my way through it over the last few months (started Season 4 last night).

I seem to watch a season, then take a week or two off as the show is pretty demanding. I wouldn't call it depressing at all, though. In fact, there are parts of it that are downright hilarious.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 94
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Up