ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 172
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
keg in kc 04:07 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's on again tonight
Yeah, I set it to record last night once I discovered the error. Also the 2nd half of the premier is tonight.
[Reply]
kcxiv 04:18 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by notorious:
No wonder some good series get cancelled after a season.

There are too many impatient people out there.
yep, people dont want to wait a few episodes for characters to develop. There are tons of good shows that get the axe because of it.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:26 PM 02-09-2015
Really enjoyed the first episode. Hope it continues in the same vein.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 05:17 PM 02-09-2015
The first season of Breaking Bad didn't exactly storm out of the gates the first few episodes.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:57 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
The first season of Breaking Bad didn't exactly storm out of the gates the first few episodes.
Yeah, a prime example of "slow" television is most of S1 of Breaking Bad.
[Reply]
frankotank 07:13 PM 02-09-2015
anybody catch that it's his BROTHER he's defending? the dude in the house with no lights?

I totally tripped seeing Mike and Tuco. those time jumps with no warning are a bitch.

my next bull mastiff is gonna be named Tuco. TIGHT....TIGHT TIGHT!
[Reply]
notorious 08:06 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by frankotank:
my next bull mastiff is gonna be named Tuco. TIGHT....TIGHT TIGHT!

[Reply]
notorious 08:06 PM 02-09-2015
When is the last time a spinoff succeeded?

Frazier?
[Reply]
frankotank 08:13 PM 02-09-2015
it's been a while!
I really didn't know how they would approach this.....but if they gonna go so far back in time that Mike is manning a frigging parking garage booth then....hmm....that opens up tons of story lines. it doesn't all have to be in the present....or AFTER BB.

could be interesting.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:17 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Yes, that's it.
I did think it was a little confusing though. That was a flash-forward (I assume). And he made the Cinnabon in Omaha quip in the past.
That seems like an oddly specific quip for it to actually come true. It made me re-think the time line for a second.
Maybe he had an 'in' at Cinnabon and knew he could get a manager gig there?
Just seems weird.
It's an homage to fans of Breaking Bad. If you paid fanatical attention to that show, Gilligan rewarded you with that scene. It bridges the gap between the two existences and shows.

Beyond that, the ability of the cinematography and sound to convey the mundane horror of his daily existence was absolutely excellent. He's a guy whose only stimulation in life comes from A) a fear of imminent death any time he reads an even slightly perturbed face on a stranger or B) reliving his past glory by watching tapes of his old commercials.

What an awful life.
[Reply]
notorious 08:20 PM 02-09-2015
I thought the opening was magnificent.

Not one word was said, just emotion through subtle face expressions.
[Reply]
Ceej 08:26 PM 02-09-2015
I enjoyed the premiere.

The whole schemin' and plottin' with the ginger twins was great.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:31 PM 02-09-2015
Really enjoying it so far

The Tuco thing, while cute and well done screams 'small universe' though.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:50 PM 02-09-2015
Most hilarious bit

Operating an office out of a janitorial closet in the back of an Asian nail salon.

:-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:54 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Really enjoying it so far

The Tuco thing, while cute and well done screams 'small universe' though.
Well, he had to learn to be a criminal lawyer somehow. Getting in with the biggest guy in the meth game in ABQ would explain how he built his bonafides.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 172
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Up