ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 18
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Hall of Classics>I can't be what I'm not.
MeatPeeker 11:05 PM 01-18-2003
Some people are jocks. Some people are preps. Some people are sluts. Some people are popular. Some people are all of the above, or a combination of one or more.

Some people are nerds.

I am a nerd.

Nerds don't go to parties. Those other people do.

I'm not those other people. I don't do what they do.

After covering my basketball games (which put the evening at 7pm) I went to the library and got on the computer until it closed at 8. Then I went to a mexican restaurant and ate dinner. It was then 9 pm. I was led to believe the party was starting at 9:30 or 10 pm. I drove over to her house and parked in a nearby lot. I waited. I felt sick. I went to the university center, and looked in the mirror. I looked like a nerd. I went back to the parking lot, ended up circling the house five times and parking again each time.

The last attempt I actually got out of the car. Guys I was so scared my entire body was screaming for me to get back in the car where it was safe. I got in there and left, and tried not to turn my head to look at that apartment building and the people outside it as I passed it.

Two songs played in the car as I began that trip home. Joe Walsh's "Life's been good to me" and AC/DC's "Hell's Bell's." Those are two of my favorite songs, and they are never played on the radio.

Those were my mp3s, calling me home.

I had a good cry on the way home, but I'm here now, where I belong. With you guys, my geforce 4 and no one else.

To thine own self be true. :-)
Attached: nerdroom.jpg (85.6 KB) 
[Reply]
KcMizzou 12:52 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by siberian khatru

"What, are you like the star of your school?"
"They hate me."
"You'll meet them all again on their long journey to the middle."

That movie instantly became one of my all-time favorites the first time I saw it. Have you seen the director's cut DVD with the commentary track by Cameron Crowe and his mother? Terrific stuff.
damn... now I wanna get that DVD. I saw it on VHS... but that'd be cool.
[Reply]
Michael Michigan 12:52 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by gochiefs

I get everything but that part.

If you haven't seen Almost Famous and you plan on writing--it's worth your time.
[Reply]
MeatPeeker 12:52 AM 01-19-2003
I've seen bits of it....the movie with the rock band reporter kid, right?
[Reply]
Michael Michigan 12:54 AM 01-19-2003
You have to make your reputation on being honest-----

and unmerciful.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 12:54 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
I think I could sing to a chick in a bar like that if I had two things going for me:

1. The rest of the bar singing.

2. I know the song.
The singin' isn't the point. The guy had balls. He intentionally made a fool of himself.... to show her that he liked her. She knew he was bein' stupid... and he knew it too, but it didn't matter. He made his point.
[Reply]
Michael Michigan 12:55 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
I've seen bits of it....the movie with the rock band reporter kid, right?

yes---

Loosely based on the life and times of a young Cameron Crowe.
[Reply]
Michael Michigan 01:00 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by FloridaChief

Yep. Bangs was pretty cool for a nerd who wrote for RS. His insights are missed to this day.

Beware, beware of Rolling stone magazine because they will change your story----

They'll re-write it. And turn it into swill.

Don't let those swill merchants re-write you.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 01:04 AM 01-19-2003
So Michael... I know you're a sports writer (from readin' the board) Who are ya? If you dont mind me askin'
[Reply]
Michael Michigan 01:11 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by KcMizzou
So Michael... I know you're a sports writer (from readin' the board) Who are ya? If you dont mind me askin'

I started as a sportswriter years ago, but now sport writing is secondary--The news organization I write for (The Landmark) likes to give what I term "alternative" coverage on the Chiefs.

Both in print and on the web.

My passion is pop culture and politics.

www.plattecountylandmark.com
[Reply]
Michael Michigan 01:12 AM 01-19-2003
Last week's entry--

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ckrairden.htm
[Reply]
MeatPeeker 01:15 AM 01-19-2003
I think I just figured it out.

I know why I didn't go to the party.

There were girls there.
[Reply]
wazu 01:17 AM 01-19-2003
gochiefs -

You seem to not realize the most important thing here:

YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU ARE A NERD!

Nerds who know they are nerds are the most dangerous nerds there are! They'll come running into a party with reckless abandon because, what's the worst that can happen? They're already a nerd. No matter how big a fool they make of themselves they can only go up!

Seriously though, reading this thread kind of makes me wonder about all those people I've known in my life that just never seemed to make it to the party, and nobody ever really got to know them. I wonder how many of them were as paralyzed by fear.

I'm usually fairly apprehensive about going to a social event with lots of people I don't really know. It's usually worth it though. You can't just let life pass you by.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 01:17 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
I think I just figured it out.

I know why I didn't go to the party.

There were girls there.
that kinda sums it up
[Reply]
MeatPeeker 01:18 AM 01-19-2003
Yes, it was just the girls.

NEXT TIME, I CRASH THAT MOTHERF*CKER! REVENGE OF THE NERD! :-)
[Reply]
KcMizzou 01:19 AM 01-19-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Adam KC
gochiefs -

You seem to not realize the most important thing here:

YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU ARE A NERD!

Nerds who know they are nerds are the most dangerous nerds there are! They'll come running into a party with reckless abandon because, what's the worst that can happen? They're already a nerd. No matter how big a fool they make of themselves they can only go up!

Seriously though, reading this thread kind of makes me wonder about all those people I've known in my life that just never seemed to make it to the party, and nobody ever really got to know them. I wonder how many of them were as paralyzed by fear.

I'm usually fairly apprehensive about going to a social event with lots of people I don't really know. It's usually worth it though. You can't just let life pass you by.
He's right... plus he has a nice ass.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 18
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up