Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
T-post Tom 05:07 PM 04-15-2019

[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:12 PM 04-15-2019
I sat drinking mulled wine with my father in law at Notre Dame on a cloudy January day. That memory is cemented in me. I remember how everything felt and smelled and tasted. Really sad day, but hopefully they can rebuild.

Entropy is a real thing, y'all.
[Reply]
ghak99 05:16 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The interior front looks better than I expected at least.

https://twitter.com/CathedraleNotre/...686851072?s=19
I guess I'm not familiar enough with the building to understand that picture. It seem almost impossible based on the pics and videos of the flames.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:26 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I guess I'm not familiar enough with the building to understand that picture. It seem almost impossible based on the pics and videos of the flames.
A lot of the ceiling is stone, so what we were seeing was the wooden roof burning. I thought sure it would have gotten through, but clearly not as much as expected.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:47 PM 04-15-2019
This thing is hitting me quite a bit harder than I would have expected. I was in choir in college, and a majority of the friends I still keep in touch with were choir friends. Met my wife in choir even.

In 2003, we took a tour through the UK and France, and one of the things that they do at Notre Dame is allow college tours to perform a few songs there just during the day while people are visiting. For a 21-year-old kid, it was a pretty incredible experience, so seeing her up in flames is really tough.

(I'm the nerdy one.)
Oh wow. That’s getting in the way back machine. I’d stack shit on you, but I bet you could dig up a 2003 picture of me pretty easy. :-)

I didn’t know you all went then. I don’t think I stayed in Emporia that summer. I’m getting damned old and that stuff is getting foggy.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:47 PM 04-15-2019

Wow. Still even wooden pews in the front. It had looked like the whole interior was on fire, but it clearly didn't reach that part. I also kind of figured that the roof collapse would have taken down all of the interior stonework, but it looks like that didn't happen at all.

I'm waiting for pictures of the stained glass now.
[Reply]
EPodolak 05:59 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Wow. Still even wooden pews in the front. It had looked like the whole interior was on fire, but it clearly didn't reach that part. I also kind of figured that the roof collapse would have taken down all of the interior stonework, but it looks like that didn't happen at all.

Not confident about the glass, at least those windows nearest the fire. The lead likely melted.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:02 PM 04-15-2019

Big time. I'm surprised any of that stuff survived. As bad as it was, it could have been so much worse.
[Reply]
srvy 06:05 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

Dont think those pictures are in the Cathedral look like that in the 2 twin Belfry Towers.
[Reply]
srvy 06:15 PM 04-15-2019
Heck maybe it is looked at some of the stills and they refer to it as the Cathedral. Looks fairly good but a structural engineer may say otherwise. No telling what heat does to that old stone.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:36 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Not confident about the glass, at least those windows nearest the fire. The lead likely melted.
I saw a report that two of the upper windows were destroyed. :-)
[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:42 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
My recommendation on "relics" is to read up on them before believing any one of their stories. Like, they were the magic elixir of the alchemists or the tonic of US 19th Century Medicine Shows.

Like literally every cathedral was buying relics to compete for pilgrimages. I'm way more concerned about the art than a piece of wood some road jester in 1500 was peddling for a huge profit.
I certainly can agree with you on your perspective. Having been to Notre Dame Cathedral, St Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum, it seems that there are a tremendous number of these religious relics on display.

Some could be real, some as you say were sold by some road jester. It is still amazing to see the wealth in terms of priceless art and artifacts the Catholic church as amassed over the year.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 07:53 PM 04-15-2019
Sad. You just can't replace 800 plus years of history.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:56 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
I certainly can agree with you on your perspective. Having been to Notre Dame Cathedral, St Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum, it seems that there are a tremendous number of these religious relics on display.

Some could be real, some as you say were sold by some road jester. It is still amazing to see the wealth in terms of priceless art and artifacts the Catholic church as amassed over the year.
Yeah, I question a lot of those claims. There's too much value in faking stuff, and it would have been easy to do over the past 2,000 years.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:00 PM 04-15-2019
There are enough pieces of the true cross to make like 5 crosses at least.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Up