Some female (name) 0 0%
Some other male (name) 45 33.58%
TRUMP! 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>G.O.A.T.: pick your greatest athlete of all time
Prison Bitch 07:14 PM 04-14-2019
With Tiger’s Masters win today, Twatter is asking if he’s the greatest athlete ever. This poll asks: name you greatest athlete you’ve seen. (So Jim Brown, Babe Ruth, Jesse Owens etc all off the table)

Use whatever criteria you wish. Can only pick one.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:28 PM 04-15-2019
As I think about it, this would be a cool tournament. Maybe I'll start it up once the movie franchise tournament finishes up.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 04:32 PM 04-15-2019
Make sure you either list the criteria or, as I did,say it’s undefined
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:35 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Make sure you either list the criteria or, as I did,say it’s undefined
I'm thinking that it could be a good head to head where we list a number of events and have two athletes face off in each one. The one with the highest score (system to be determined) would then move to the next round. So we'd need to come up with a list of athletes (which this thread could supply) and a list of events that, in combination, define a good athlete.
[Reply]
Eleazar 04:37 PM 04-15-2019
Michael Schumacher & Roger Federer should be in the conversation
[Reply]
EPodolak 04:44 PM 04-15-2019
If we include an amateur wrestler, I'd nominate Cael Sanderson.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:47 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
If we include an amateur wrestler, I'd nominate Cael Sanderson.
Then I nominate Ric Flair, whoooo!
[Reply]
EPodolak 04:56 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Is he the rowdy one or the roidy one?
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 05:32 PM 04-15-2019
After really studying Wilt Chamberlain's history, I don't know how anyone could legitimately argue it wasn't him. He owns over half of the NBA stats records by himself. They changed the rules of the game because of him. It is said during the 50th Anniversary celebration where they honored the Top 50 players of all time, MJ and Wilt got into a heated argument over who was the best of all time. It went back and forth with neither giving an inch. It was time to go out onto the court and just before they did, Wilt says:

"Keep one thing in mind. They changed the rules of the game to make it harder for me to score. They changed the rules of the game to make it easier for you to score."

MJ did not have a response to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lt_Chamberlain

Additionally Chamberlain did these things:

At KU he ran a sub 11 second 100 yard dash.

He shot put 56 feet

Triple jumped more than 50 ft

Won the Big 8 High Jump 3 years in a row

In addition to the NBA Hall of Fame, he played professional volleyball and was named to their Hall of Fame.

He beat Jim Brown in a race when he played for the Harlem Globetrotters

He was scheduled to a promotional boxing match with Ali, but Ali backed out after going through a measurements showcase

He also played and excelled in polo, tennis, paddle ball and waterskiing

His raw physical strength was so legendary that Arnold Schwarzenegger used to be in awe of it.

The Kansas City Chiefs drafted him as a Tight End.

People that think he was dominant just because he was tall do not understand his athleticism. He never came out of game and he never fouled out. He lead the League in assists one year because someone criticized him that he couldn't do it. There's lots of videos on Youtube about these things. Watch him run and then say he was dominant just because he was tall!He suffers from the lack of TV coverage in his era and because the NBA began to focus on stats for "the modern game" only.

Its Wilt, and its not really close unless your criteria is number of championships won.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 05:43 PM 04-15-2019
Wilt was a stat padder who played against a bunch of whiteboys and he couldnt shoot FTs. He wouldnt dominate nearly as much as he did back then today.

Bill Russell was the better player. Didnt care about stats, he cared about winnimg. 11 championships
[Reply]
MahiMike 05:59 PM 04-15-2019
Babe Ruth. That guy could pitch and hit home runs. While hungover!

Then smoke a cigar in the dugout.

It don't get no mo' gangsta than that!
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 06:01 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Wilt was a stat passer who played against a bunch of whiteboys and he couldnt shoot FTs. He wouldnt dominate nearly as much as he did back then today.

Bill Russell was the better player. Didnt care about stats he cared about winnimg. 11 championships
Just pulled that out of your ass? Bill Russell had the better surrounding team and coach. Wilt was a stat monster because his teams needed him to be a stat monster. Wilt and Bill were actually really good friends and Wilt would stay at his place with Bill's mom when he was in town to play. Bill's mom would always admonish Wilt before they left, "Now, you take it easy on my boy tonight!"

The question was about athleticism. When I think about athleticism, I think strength, agility, coordination and speed. You can't be a stat monster and not possess those things.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ay-in-weak-era
[Reply]
srvy 06:18 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Andre the Giant!
[Reply]
New World Order 06:20 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Babe Ruth. That guy could pitch and hit home runs. While hungover!

Then smoke a cigar in the dugout.

It don't get no mo' gangsta than that!
After I voted for Jordan I thought about Babe.

He had Cy Young pitching stats and batting champion numbers as a hitter.

He would have to be the GOAT in any sport for sure.
[Reply]
Otter 06:28 PM 04-15-2019
I really don't go for best athlete because talent is compartmentalized.

Jordan
Gretzky
Montana
Jeff Prescott

We may be seeing a new name to the list in a guy known as Patrick.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:55 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm thinking that it could be a good head to head where we list a number of events and have two athletes face off in each one. The one with the highest score (system to be determined) would then move to the next round. So we'd need to come up with a list of athletes (which this thread could supply) and a list of events that, in combination, define a good athlete.
One way to idiot-proof it would be to put all local yokels (wilt, mahomes, bo etc) in one quad so it won’t be a bunch of homers.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up