ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 25
« First < 111718192021 22232425 >
Nzoner's Game Room>First woman to play in a power 5 college football game today
Deberg_1990 09:22 AM 11-28-2020
Awesome! I will watch!

Historic moment for college football 👏

Vanderbilt is turning to women's soccer player Sarah Fuller to be its place-kicker on Saturday.

She will become the first woman to participate in a Power 5 football game. (via @VandyFootball) pic.twitter.com/kIeMh4uRjZ

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) November 27, 2020

[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:43 PM 12-03-2020
Ha....Pete Sampras....wasn't Billie Jean King available?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:16 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by alanm:
Generally speaking, A kicker is probably the last person a team wants to hear a rah rah speech from. :-)
She is not a kicker. She is a successful D1 athlete who did the team a huge favor by risking embarrassment to help them out in a pinch. It doesn't make her a hero. But the idea that her opinion would be dismissed is nonsense. She had a valid point, a frame of reference as an actual winner, and she had the team's respect. I doubt anyone ran through brick walls over this but I doubt anyone was disrespectful or butthurt about it.
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:27 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
She is not a kicker. She is a successful D1 athlete who did the team a huge favor by risking embarrassment to help them out in a pinch. It doesn't make her a hero. But the idea that her opinion would be dismissed is nonsense. She had a valid point, a frame of reference as an actual winner, and she had the team's respect. I doubt anyone ran through brick walls over this but I doubt anyone was disrespectful or butthurt about it.
It's almost like you have never watched Women's college softball and how they act in the dug out etc... compared to college baseball. Its just different. Now you are wanting to equate women's soccer to Div 1 Football? Pftttt.

Just because they yell, clap, and scream at each other nonstop doesn't mean they know jack shit more about anything.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:36 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
In the movie, she nails a 50 yarder as time expires for the win. You can bet your ass on it.

[Reply]
morphius 04:54 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
It's almost like you have never watched Women's college softball and how they act in the dug out etc... compared to college baseball. Its just different. Now you are wanting to equate women's soccer to Div 1 Football? Pftttt.

Just because they yell, clap, and scream at each other nonstop doesn't mean they know jack shit more about anything.
My daughter plays softball, the chants that are stuck in my head... gah...
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:06 PM 12-03-2020
Why do we care that she said something to her teammates at halftime? Is it because she's a she? What if Tommy Townsend said something to the team at the half? Would we be having this same conversation?

Once in HS the school nun (Sister, excuse me) said a prayer for us before a game. Should I have been angry?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:19 PM 12-03-2020

[Reply]
Pointer19 05:29 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Why do we care that she said something to her teammates at halftime? Is it because she's a she? What if Tommy Townsend said something to the team at the half? Would we be having this same conversation??
If the new guy is telling Patrick Mahomes how to act... yes.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:42 PM 12-03-2020
I'm unamazed people are so offended by a fellow successful student athlete giving a motivational speech about teamwork. She's not wrong and this happens all the time. Just because she isn't qualified to be a football player doesn't make her wrong for addressing this. And I'm sure the players weren't as butthurt about it as everyone in the peanut gallery is.
No, she was a temporary teammate who took it upon herself to act like a team captain. The sport she was successful in and the sport she found herself "competing" in are irrelevant.

The fact she was successful in another sport is also irrelevant. Hence why I said you'd have a point if Calipari had Sampras suit up and get some court minutes.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:43 PM 12-03-2020
Why do we care that she said something to her teammates at halftime? Is it because she's a she? What if Tommy Townsend said something to the team at the half? Would we be having this same conversation?

Once in HS the school nun (Sister, excuse me) said a prayer for us before a game. Should I have been angry?
They're acting like no outsider has ever given a motivational speech to a locker room before. And that a conference champion in a different sport has nothing of value to say to an 0-10 team who can't even cross the 50 damn yard line. Or that women's sports are so different that Alex Morgan couldn't possibly teach any football player about teamwork. And all kinds of mental gymnastics to be outraged over nothing.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:44 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
If the new guy is telling Patrick Mahomes how to act... yes.
I must've missed something. Did she tell the HC how to call the game or the QB how to play?

I was under the impression she tried to coax some team spirit out of her teammates. It wasn't a 'rah-rah' speech kind of thing?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:44 PM 12-03-2020

Anyone who makes a 'rah rah' stunt after joining the team 75% of the way through the season on three days' notice is a chode regardless of position played or their skill at said position.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:53 PM 12-03-2020
They're acting like no outsider has ever given a motivational speech to a locker room before. And that a conference champion in a different sport has nothing of value to say to an 0-10 team who can't even cross the 50 damn yard line. Or that women's sports are so different that Alex Morgan couldn't possibly teach any football player about teamwork. And all kinds of mental gymnastics to be outraged over nothing.
Well, that seems kind of dumb. The Chiefs have had motivational speakers in the locker room that never even played football, iirc.

In HS, Sister Marie said a prayer for the team and told us to "win for Jesus Our Lord and Savior!" I thought that was a bit much, but I didn't get my panties in a twist over it.

When I was still in marketing, at a national conference we had Joe Theisman come in and give a motivational speech. Doubt he knew that much about marketing, but he gave a pretty good speech. It was obvious that he knew something about success, the value of working smarter not harder, and motivating not only yourself but your team.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:54 PM 12-03-2020
When I was still in marketing, at a national conference we had Joe Theisman come in and give a motivational speech. Doubt he knew that much about marketing, but he gave a pretty good speech. It was obvious that he knew something about success, the value of working smarter not harder, and motivating not only yourself but your team.
Did Joe Theismann show up to your company's marketing department as a paid employee?
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:55 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Anyone who makes a 'rah rah' stunt after joining the team 75% of the way through the season on three days' notice is a chode regardless of position played or their skill at said position.
Isn't the Vandy football team like O-fer?
[Reply]
Page 21 of 25
« First < 111718192021 22232425 >
Up