ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 30
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Four major art projects for new KCI terminal revealed
neech 10:50 PM 04-09-2021
The first of four major art projects for the new single terminal airport at KCI have been revealed.

More than 1,000 artists from around the world submitted inquiries after Kansas City announced an international search for artists.
The city said the four works of art were chosen because they either reflected the wonder of travel or Kansas City history.

The budget for artwork at KCI’s new terminal is $5.65 million. Kansas City’s single-terminal airport is expected to open on budget and on time in early 2023.

“The fact that we’ve been through a pandemic over the last year and yet this project remains on time, on schedule, and on budget is a testament to the good work of the team,” said Justin Meyer with the KC Aviation Department.

You can see the renderings of the art projects in the gallery below.

Entitled "Molten Swing"

Entitled "The Air up There"

Entitled "Ornithology"

Entitled "Fountain of Resonance"

"Molten Swing" looks kind of like a mosaic dog or cat to me, it might look cool though but not sure what to make of it at this point.

"The Air up There" simply looks like some lights on the ceiling, again it might look better when you're actually there I hope.

"Ornithology" reminds me of those attacking creatures in the Pitch Black movie. You just knew one of the artwork they chose would have a WTF moment and this is it.

"Fountain of Resonance" I approve of this one.
:-)

Thoughts?

https://fox4kc.com/news/art-projects...inal-revealed/
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:09 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
I was hoping for some lizard illuminati stuff so we could beat Denver. Also something that would be more garish than Blucifer.
You don't want to one-up our lizard people. Don't make the lizard people angry.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:12 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Nobody goes to an airport to look at art. They want to get in and get out. Something the old one was very good at.
The KC airport?

I've been in a lot of airports, and the KC airport is probably my least favorite. It's confusing, has poor signage, little or no food, and when you go through security you're trapped in a little crate.
[Reply]
-King- 09:29 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
I was fine with the old shitty airport where I could be on the plane, and then one minute later be outside of the terminal.
It is a great airport when everything is running correctly. But it's the worst place to be when you're early, there's a delay or there are long lines or anything like that. Being early at MCI is fucking torture. I'd almost rather risk missing my flight and show up as late as possible than show up early and have to sit in the gate where there's one 2 stall bathroom and your choices of food are almost expired cold cuts or snack foods.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:43 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
It is a great airport when everything is running correctly. But it's the worst place to be when you're early, there's a delay or there are long lines or anything like that. Being early at MCI is fucking torture. I'd almost rather risk missing my flight and show up as late as possible than show up early and have to sit in the gate where there's one 2 stall bathroom and your choices of food are almost expired cold cuts or snack foods.
The two "restaurants" in the old airport were a disgusting joke.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:46 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
I was hoping for some lizard illuminati stuff so we could beat Denver. Also something that would be more garish than Blucifer.
This is the way.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:11 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
It is a great airport when everything is running correctly. But it's the worst place to be when you're early, there's a delay or there are long lines or anything like that. Being early at MCI is ****ing torture. I'd almost rather risk missing my flight and show up as late as possible than show up early and have to sit in the gate where there's one 2 stall bathroom and your choices of food are almost expired cold cuts or snack foods.
Yeah. It may have been a fine airport before the stupid terrorists screwed everything up, but it sure seems like there should have been a better way to design it post-9/11.

DEN had the bad luck of opening just a few years before 9/11 so it was probably the newest large airport in the country that wasn't designed for security. I wasn't flying as much in those years so I don't recall what it was like when it first opened. I think the big security area today was mostly open lounge. But they had to implement a notable change in passenger flow to put the security infrastructure into the terminal, which then turned the main visual focus into a bunch of lines of people. I remember being a bit disappointed in the change, but it's not like there was a choice.

I guess my point is that the 9/11 changes probably affected different airports differently. None of them were going to be good. DEN's was okay in the big scheme of things just because they coincidentally had a big open area that could be repurposed. KC's airport seemed like it was a really bad change.
[Reply]
Chieftain 04:30 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Rothko and Pollock ARE extremely hard to re-create.

That's like saying any average person can be a famous photographer. How hard can it be? You just push a button!
I can do Pollock's most complex painting on Illustrator in less than 2 hrs. Rothko's maybe 10 mins at most.
Now Rembrandt or Da Vinci, that's extremely hard to replicate. Even the most skilled artist would take a long time to come close to perfectly achieve it. Rembrandt was a master at using light shadows. Incedibly realistic technique for its time.
Abstractism is a bullshit art movement. I compare it with the vegan movement.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:39 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
I can do Pollock's most complex painting on Illustrator in less than 2 hrs.
No you can't. You can only attempt to copy it.

There's the rub.
[Reply]
Chieftain 08:36 AM 04-11-2021
Nevertheless, his paintings are rubbish art because they don't convey any meaning. You will have some so-called art expert tell you "but you have to look deeper to truly understand". That's the typical smokescreen argument you get from a Pollock apologist. What is there to understand when looking at a sheet covered in tiny paint splashes? There is no symmetry, no continuity, no structural shapes of any kind. Just paint splashes using a select group of colors. If an average minded person can't grasp the meaning of any of his paintings, maybe it's because they are meaningless paintings??
[Reply]
stevieray 08:48 AM 04-11-2021
Nevertheless, his paintings are rubbish art because they don't convey any meaning. You will have some so-called art expert tell you "but you have to look deeper to truly understand". That's the typical smokescreen argument you get from a Pollock apologist. What is there to understand when looking at a sheet covered in tiny paint splashes? There is no symmetry, no continuity, no structural shapes of any kind. Just paint splashes using a select group of colors. If an average minded person can't grasp the meaning of any of his paintings, maybe it's because they are meaningless paintings??
You can't marginalize that. It's dishonest.

He created a new medium using gravity. It's not splashes. And there is some symmetry to his work, it wouldn't appeal at all if it didn't. You mentioned Picasso, both he and Pollack were established artists, they were just thinking outside of the box..prolly for their own desires to create.

I've "reproduced" Bierstadt, Michelangelo, Parrish and Vallejo among others. All amazing artists. All with their own techniques and approaches.

I'm not a fan of abstract at all, but Pollack deserves the recognition he receives.
[Reply]
vonBobo 09:38 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Nobody goes to an airport to look at art. They want to get in and get out.
Airports are often engineering works of art themselves. Then they offer a large space that will be populated by thousands of people every day. The tradition and importance of architecture and artwork in mass transit goes all the way back to trains. No, almost no one go because of the art, but it is a very important element in city planning.

I believe the tile work at the "current" terminals were some of my favorite installations in the city, been gazing at it my entire life. Its an exciting visual that suggests the adventure that is just beginning, and it is there again welcoming me back home.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:42 AM 04-11-2021
How about they focus on getting the fucking thing completed as fast as is feasible?
[Reply]
vonBobo 09:42 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Traveling is like going to a sporting event. Something about it makes people feel okay dropping cash for overpriced food and drink. Pre-Covid, you were lucky to find an open spot at a bar/restaurant in O'hare or Midway.
Lots of those drinks are on a corporate card.
[Reply]
vonBobo 10:18 AM 04-11-2021
most importantly should be extremely hard to create by an average person.
Art is to move a person, inspire reactions, give people something to interpret and explore themselves along the way.

Out of all of the great artists you could have mentioned, it seems like Pollock and Rothko are inspiring quite a bit of thought from you!!! :-)
[Reply]
-King- 10:40 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
How about they focus on getting the fucking thing completed as fast as is feasible?
Are they not doing that?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 30
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up