ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign TE Jody Fortson from Valdosta St
Kiimo 02:35 PM 05-10-2019

Looks like #Chiefs have a new option at TE.
Per source, they signed Jody Fortson from Valdosta St today, ahead of OTAs this weekend.

Interesting pick up at the position pic.twitter.com/4ssvtyeExs

— Ryan Tracy | RGR Football (@RyanTracyNFL) May 10, 2019

Who has ever heard of Valdosta St?

https://vstateblazers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2542
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:56 AM 05-11-2019
If he can stay off the cabbage and learn to block, he could be a good addition. Love his size, and looks like he can catch the ball.
[Reply]
IUsedToBeATightEnd 09:20 AM 05-11-2019
TE's are TE's and WR's are WR's. A tall, slow WR don't make a TE. He aint even got the build to ever become one.
If we need - and have space - for a tall receiver with good hands fine, but this guy is not a tight end.
[Reply]
Wilson8 11:15 AM 05-11-2019
I hope Jody becomes a decent NFL TE someday. If Fortson puts on 30 pounds, becomes stronger, learns to block, and learns the TE position, we might have a good addition to the team.

BUT…

Someone within the Chiefs organization has always DREAMED of developing a TE where one did not exist.

Demetrius Harris – 6-7, 235, basketball player from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Ross Travis – 6-7, 230, basketball player from Penn State

John Lovett – 6-3, 230, QB from Princeton University

Blake Bell – 6-6, 251, former QB from Oklahoma University. Blake has the size and some NFL TE experience, so this is closer to signing a TE.

Kelvin Benjamin – 6-5, 243, WR in NFL. In fairness, the Chiefs never called Kelvin a TE. Given Kelvin’s size, there was some speculation that he would be used in some TE situations.

I have no problem with these low cost signings. I love a story where a player develops into a good addition to the Chiefs.

I object when very low cost, no drafting or priority signing becomes the only way Kansas City tries to improve the TE position.

In this year’s NFL draft Isaac Nauta (Georgia), Alize Mack Notre Dame), Kaden Smith (Stanford), Thomas Sweeney (Boston College), and Caleb Wilson (UCLA) were all low round TE draft picks. Dax Raymond (Utah State), Andrew Beck (Texas), Donald Parham (Stetson), and C.J. Conrad (Kentucky) were all TE college free agents.

Right now we have Travis Kelce so you can say additional TEs don't really matter but for every year we ignore TE, the more vulnerable we become.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 12:15 PM 05-11-2019
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
I hope Jody becomes a decent NFL TE someday. If Fortson puts on 30 pounds, becomes stronger, learns to block, and learns the TE position, we might have a good addition to the team.

BUT…

Someone within the Chiefs organization has always DREAMED of developing a TE where one did not exist.

Demetrius Harris – 6-7, 235, basketball player from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Ross Travis – 6-7, 230, basketball player from Penn State

John Lovett – 6-3, 230, QB from Princeton University

Blake Bell – 6-6, 251, former QB from Oklahoma University. Blake has the size and some NFL TE experience, so this is closer to signing a TE.

Kelvin Benjamin – 6-5, 243, WR in NFL. In fairness, the Chiefs never called Kelvin a TE. Given Kelvin’s size, there was some speculation that he would be used in some TE situations.

I have no problem with these low cost signings. I love a story where a player develops into a good addition to the Chiefs.

I object when very low cost, no drafting or priority signing becomes the only way Kansas City tries to improve the TE position.

In this year’s NFL draft Isaac Nauta (Georgia), Alize Mack Notre Dame), Kaden Smith (Stanford), Thomas Sweeney (Boston College), and Caleb Wilson (UCLA) were all low round TE draft picks. Dax Raymond (Utah State), Andrew Beck (Texas), Donald Parham (Stetson), and C.J. Conrad (Kentucky) were all TE college free agents.

Right now we have Travis Kelce so you can say additional TEs don't really matter but for every year we ignore TE, the more vulnerable we become.
Hale Hentges UDFA TE Alabama signed with the Colts.
[Reply]
Bigmod 02:13 PM 05-11-2019
I like these types of players. Diamond in the rough.
[Reply]
apkwebs 02:18 PM 05-11-2019
He'll silence them in the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05-11-2019, 02:19 PM
This message has been deleted by Simply Red. Reason: wrong thread
FloridaMan88 04:46 PM 05-11-2019
Trade for Kyle Rudolph and solidify the #2 TE situation.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 10:08 AM 04-11-2021

“Cause we worked for it”.. #WeComing @JodyFortsonJr pic.twitter.com/nzhoqDny3Q

— PGS (@TEAMPGSports) April 8, 2021

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021...VwUQHrQP_b62VI
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:49 AM 04-11-2021
He is already better than any other TE not name Kelce wearing red. He should have made the 53 man squad last year. I really like his size, skilled hands at pass-catching, and attitude.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:05 PM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
He is already better than any other TE not name Kelce wearing red. He should have made the 53 man squad last year. I really like his size, skilled hands at pass-catching, and attitude.
He is currently listed as a WR though on the roster. His position was changed the last offseason.
[Reply]
Halfcan 12:10 PM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
He is currently listed as a WR though on the roster. His position was changed the last offseason.
He probably would have put up better numbers than Sammy last year since Sammy could not stay off the IR.

Fortson has great size and could be a good Red Zone target-an area where we need a lot of improvement this year.

Bell and Kiser could not catch a cold if they both tried at the same time. I would have loved to see Kelce and Fortson lining up outside together-matchup nightmares.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:07 PM 04-11-2021
He probably would have put up better numbers than Sammy last year since Sammy could not stay off the IR.

Fortson has great size and could be a good Red Zone target-an area where we need a lot of improvement this year.

Bell and Kiser could not catch a cold if they both tried at the same time. I would have loved to see Kelce and Fortson lining up outside together-matchup nightmares.
That's why he's been my adopt-a-chief since 2019. It makes me hate Bell and Kizer that much more.

We had Rickey Seals-Jones or whatever, and still had Bell and Kiezer on the field.

If you want a blocker, then line up tight with an extra OL and RUN THE BALL sometimes, so that it's an actual threat.

I fucking hate Bell and Kyzer.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:10 PM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Right, but that almost makes it harder on him to crack the 53 at WR. At TE, it should really be no question at this point, idk.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 07:50 PM 04-11-2021
Amen brother !!! I have always loved Fortson.

Bell and Kiser would have not caught C-19 even IF they had it injected into them.:-)
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:01 AM 04-12-2021
This guy will never catch 5 games in a regular season. Can we stop the hype?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up