lcarus 10:10 AM 05-19-2020
1. The Big Lebowski - possibly my favorite movie of all time
2. Raising Arizona
3. Fargo
[Reply]
vailpass 02:34 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I kid you not.

And can I interest you in Intolerable Cruelty if I said it follows the dictates of a 1930's screwball comedy.
I'm listening. Just don't try to sell me on some screwball concept like a bunch of hillbillies going on a Homeric journey.
[Reply]
eDave 06:30 PM 05-19-2020
Tough list for sure. And Barton Fink isn't getting the love it deserves. O Brother is tops though. It's quite an odyssey.
[Reply]
candyman 06:46 PM 05-20-2020
I love TBL, Fargo, No Country, O Brother, Raising Arizona, True Grit, Burn After Reading and Buster Scruggs so I consider myself a pretty big fan of their's. Having said that, I tried to watch Miller's Crossing based on the recommendations here and I could not get into it at all, I thought it was a major snooze fest. Different strokes I guess.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:59 PM 05-20-2020
To each their own. Outside of the three Coen movies that I really like (Miller's Crossing, O Brother and True Grit), the ones I have seen really haven't impressed me that much. I liked Fargo, but felt it went off the rails every time they featured the pointless side story of the guy who had the crush on the sheriff. Seriously, what the fuck was that all about? Just seemed like filler. I liked Raising Arizona, but there's nothing particularly memorable about it for me. I didn't see Big Lebowski when it first came out, and when I did finally watch it I found it to be overrated as hell. And the ending of No Country for Old Men pissed me off so much I wanted to punch somebody. I actually bought the blu ray having never seen it based on all the glowing recommendations and ended up mailing it to a CP member who really liked it.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 05:12 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
To each their own. Outside of the three Coen movies that I really like (Miller's Crossing, O Brother and True Grit), the ones I have seen really haven't impressed me that much. I liked Fargo, but felt it went off the rails every time they featured the pointless side story of the guy who had the crush on the sheriff. Seriously, what the **** was that all about? Just seemed like filler. I liked Raising Arizona, but there's nothing particularly memorable about it for me. I didn't see Big Lebowski when it first came out, and when I did finally watch it I found it to be overrated as hell. And the ending of No Country for Old Men pissed me off so much I wanted to punch somebody. I actually bought the blu ray having never seen it based on all the glowing recommendations and ended up mailing it to a CP member who really liked it.
I really liked Raising Arizona because it has a lot of details that it doesn't bother to explain or expose. for instance, the biker/ hellion/ bounty hunter has the same peckerwood tattoo as Hi. so you can interpret that as that they belong to to the same prison gang or that the bounty hunter is Hi's estranged father.

...is one one of the funniest movie scenes ever. Hi starts retching and dry heaving once he realizes that he almost got killed
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:38 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
same peckerwood tattoo
That's a Hush Thrush.

Someone never installed Glass Packs.

Guess that's what they call a Way Homer. . . .
[Reply]
Groves 07:40 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I actually bought the blu ray having never seen it based on all the glowing recommendations and ended up mailing it to a CP member who really liked it.
So....er....any other Coen Bros DVD’s you wanna ship out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Frazod 08:37 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
I really liked Raising Arizona because it has a lot of details that it doesn't bother to explain or expose. for instance, the biker/ hellion/ bounty hunter has the same peckerwood tattoo as Hi. so you can interpret that as that they belong to to the same prison gang or that the bounty hunter is Hi's estranged father.

...is one one of the funniest movie scenes ever. Hi starts retching and dry heaving once he realizes that he almost got killed
That is a great scene.

I tried to remember why I was kind of meh about this movie, then it hit me - Holly Hunter's voice is like an ice pick in my brain. The more she's in something, the less I like it. I feel the same way about Vivien Leigh, which is the main reason I don't like Gone With the Wind. Hunter was annoying in O Brother, but her character wasn't in it all that much. Had I been Everett, I would have left her with the gangly bug eyed guy and went back to the sirens.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:38 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Groves:
So....er....any other Coen Bros DVD’s you wanna ship out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, but I only own the three, and those I'm keeping. :-)
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:02 PM 05-21-2020
No Country for Old Men listed twice is a bold strategy.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:51 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
No Country for Old Men listed twice is a bold strategy.
Hah I was just going to post about the same thing though I like the way you said it better. Let’s see if it pays off.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:00 PM 05-22-2020
I need to watch Blood Simple again. Probably a haven’t seen it in 25+ years.

And I see it’s streaming on HBO. Nice!
[Reply]
Miles 11:28 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I need to watch Blood Simple again. Probably a haven’t seen it in 25+ years.

And I see it’s streaming on HBO. Nice!
Was thinking the same. Only time I’ve watched it was around 15 years ago when Netflix involved dvds. Mostly remember that everything fit together perfectly.
[Reply]
Miles 11:37 PM 05-22-2020
They are a little tougher than most great directors to say a top 3 since they have put out a lot of great stuff.

Big Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up